Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hyperspectral Imaging  (Read 63613 times)

Mark Appel

• T3
Re: Hyperspectral Imaging
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2014, 10:39:28 PM »

What acceptable evidence are we looking for? Dated pictures? Some sort of technical manual?

"We're looking for official documents that specify how labeling on 24ST Alclad evolved. We need specific dates for when changes were made..."

Amen. The TIGHAR antagonists blithely and breathlessly cite personal observation, inference, and anecdote as "evidence" of their claims about Alcoa aircraft aluminum labeling in the 1930s. Their practice of repeatedly relying on those bogus metrics is indicative of their failure to understand what objective evidence is--a fact underscored by truly bizarre emotionalism, paranoid delusions of persecution, and devotion to conspiracy theories.

Nobody has yet produced source documentation delineating the answers to many, many open questions about said labeling practices. Not Gary La Pook. Not Mike Campbell. Not me. Not my Mom. Nobody.
"Credibility is Everything"

Bessel P Sybesma

• T1
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2014, 01:26:16 AM »

Whenever I venture out to some of the other Amelia Earhart sites I am always struck by the complete lack of facts discussed there. Just shouting 'buy my book to get the REAL facts' doesn't sound convincing nor ethical IMHO

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2014, 07:32:23 AM »

Amen to you both.

Well said, Mark.

It isn't that we don't realize the risk that 'A D' represents as a signature feature on 2-2-V-1, but that we have a need to find definitive information.  We cannot toss a rare find aside as so much junk based on a smattering of pictures and a sound byte proclaiming that web site as an authority.  A site clearly calculated to display those photos as 'evidence' - by an unknown author, I might add.

We sometimes get attacked about 'credibility'; where is the credibility of those who would disprove what we study?  They never seem willing to acknowledge that TIGHAR has never shirked admitting when a failure of an article eventuates from her work, as painful as that can be.

So much discussion out there is indeed pure hip shot broadcast, and it is of course easy to criticize a bunch of nerds who are trying to painstakingly prove, or perhaps to our credit, disprove should that eventuate, the provenance of this item.

I also remain fascinated that one of the frequently underlying 'qualifications' for their view of our efforts is that we're crazy kool aid drinkers anyway, because anyone with any sense knows she can't be there because a) the navy looked in 1937 and didn't see her, and/or b) she's really at: fill in the blank, etc.

What fascinates me even more is how concerned many of them are with minding the business of those of us who are determined to wring dry whatever we can find at Niku out of a belief in it being a very strong candidate for Earhart's last arrival.  They want 'truth', I'm told - but seemingly they'd bracket where and how we search for our own better good.  I am even 'warned' of late by someone of a different search venue, via unsolicited email no less, that I should be 'very worried' due to my involvement here - isn't that nice?

As it happens, I voted this morning - and was reminded as I did so that this 'minding of others' is simply an ages-old human urge.  It is along the same behavioral spectrum as 'road rage' when the emotions get into it.  As has been said, no man's life, liberty or property is safe when the legislature is in session...

I think we should simply carry on.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2014, 08:00:24 AM »

TECTIC - The Earhart Conspiracy Theory Industrial Complex - can be an awesome force to behold, as can the mind of any conspiracy buff.

What fascinates me the most about the Earhart and Noonan mystery is the astonishing level of passion it excites in some people. Amelia and Fred vanished almost eight decades ago ... and still, the mere mention of her name can ignite the fiercest of debates.

I'm sticking with TIGHAR because it is following the facts and the evidence, regardless of where they might lead. That is the course that will, eventually, lead to closure for Amelia and Fred. After more than 70 years, they deserve that much.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Lauren Palmer

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2014, 10:39:33 AM »

Absolutely it is fascinating, as a true-life mystery that seems about to be solved.  Monroe Losner, a gentlemen who told me he was happy to be reading about us, told me how he was present in Miami to watch Amelia's take-off.  He said he also went to high school with Paul Tibbets, the pilot of the Enola Gay.  Wow, what history!

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2014, 10:42:39 AM »

Absolutely it is fascinating, as a true-life mystery that seems about to be solved.  Monroe Losner, a gentlemen who told me he was happy to be reading about us, told me how he was present in Miami to watch Amelia's take-off.  He said he also went to high school with Paul Tibbets, the pilot of the Enola Gay.  Wow, what history!

Ask your friend Monroe, if he's still with us, if he noticed the patch or anything else odd about the Electra.

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2014, 12:26:25 PM »

Was he old enough to perhaps take a picture?
Ted Campbell

Lauren Palmer

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2014, 12:33:07 PM »

Yes, he's 96 now, and I'll try to get details for us.  He lives in the Atlanta area now.
--Lauren

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2014, 12:38:42 PM »

Lauren Palmer,
So do I live in the Atlanta area, if he wants to get together sometime.
Ted Campbell

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2014, 01:09:03 PM »

Yes, he's 96 now, and I'll try to get details for us.  He lives in the Atlanta area now.
--Lauren
At age 96, Monroe Losner would have been born about 1918. In 1937 he would have been 19. And in 1944 he would have been 26 years old ... and an article ("Veterans' Morale Praised By Officers") in the Miami Daily News (granted, it isn't the Miami Herald) has a picture of Monroe Losner with the following text:
Pfc. Monroe Losner, 26, former employee of the Miami Daily News circulation department, is home on furlough after 31 months overseas.
Maybe Monroe might have known, and remember the name of, the Miami Herald photographer that day!
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2014, 01:24:30 PM »

Cool stuff.

Talk about 'hyperspectral imaging' possibilities...
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2014, 01:44:02 PM »

Indeed ... the possibilities. Never know what you're going to find in an old photo, or even when an old photo might turn up.

And that's all I've got to say about that.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org