Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Hyperspectral Imaging  (Read 63611 times)

Dale O. Beethe

• TIGHAR member
Re: Hyperspectral Imaging
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 07:34:51 PM »

Just curious.  Is this ARCHER technology something that could be used for the Midnight Ghost project?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 08:38:35 PM »

Just curious.  Is this ARCHER technology something that could be used for the Midnight Ghost project?

L'Oiseau Blanc was mostly wood and fabric.  By now the engine is probably all that's left and I doubt that ARCHER would pick it up.  LIDAR, on the other hand, seems to be a possibility.

Dale O. Beethe

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 08:57:54 PM »

Would there have been some fairly large fuel tanks, or are we assuming they'd be gone by now?

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 08:42:05 AM »

I agree with Ric - if Jeff Glickman says it'd be a good idea, then it needs to be done. My check will go out in the mail today.

Remember, it was Jeff who first spotted the Bevington Object, simply by taking another look at something TIGHAR already had. And look what that has turned into!

LTM, who knows when to call in the experts.
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 08:44:38 AM »

Remember, it was Jeff who first spotted the Bevington Object, simply by taking another look at something TIGHAR already had. And look what that has turned into!

Right on Mr. Fowler!  Add to that the increasing importance of knowing as much as possible about the labeling on 2-2-V-1.  We really need to do this.

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2014, 08:45:42 AM »

Have you tried looking at it under UV light yet?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2014, 09:16:21 AM »

Have you tried looking at it under UV light yet?

Not yet. Been too busy running around doing TV gigs re MH370.  Weird - but good exposure for TIGHAR. 
We have a lot of money to raise.  As the saying goes, "No bucks, no Buck Rogers."

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2014, 09:45:01 AM »

Since you are going to rent this device for a couple of days are there any other artifacts, something from the 7 site maybe, that would also benefit from this type of analysis?

Here is link to newsletter showing some forensic applications of this technique:
http://www.chemimage.com/news/newsletter/forensic_focus/

The one where they manage to make out obscure carvings into a whale tooth is especially interesting.

John Klier

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2014, 10:48:29 AM »

I've worked with hyperspectral imagery for a while through my research at Texas State University. All of my experience deals with remote sensing in aerial and satellite imagery rather than artifact analysis.

Getting the equipment and gathering the imagery is only half the equation. With the hyperspectral imagery you can take data from varying wavelengths and perform calculations on them to make certain features stand out. One common formula I use is called the Normalized Difference Vegetation Index (NDVI) which is the near infrared added to the visible spectrum divided by near infrared added to the visible spectrum. This particular index is used to locate healthy green vegetation. Something that is simply green but not alive will not show up. You need the software and knowledge to perform the analysis portion of the task.

I would assume this is where the expertise of Jeff Glickman comes into play again. Keeping my fingers crossed that this will yield something useful.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2014, 05:08:27 PM »

My fingers are crossed too ...

... but I uncrossed them long enough to write a check for this effort. Remember - questions are cheap, answers are expensive. I know Jeff well enough to know that this effort will be well worth it.

LTM, who really means the check is in the mail,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

John Klier

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2014, 08:48:49 PM »

Monty you are absolutely correct. The answers are expensive that's why there are so few of them. In regards to Jeff Glickman, referring to my own personal experience. I've been working with drones to gather my research data for about 7 years. With drones becoming so prevalent I am often ask the question of whether I feel that what I am doing is no longer unique. My answer is it's not just the data you collect but what you do with it. Almost anyone can buy a cheap drone and take nice aerial photos. However, in the right hands that data can tell many other things. The hyperspectral photography may or may not pan out. I'm happy to see it being explored.Talk is cheap. It's easy to criticize others work. I, however, have not seen anything that looks better than the theory that Tighar presents. As soon as I can get my dissertation put to bed (hopefully soon) I will be in a position to write a check to Tighar as well.

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2014, 10:37:24 AM »

Ric,

I'll hand off a check toward this effort when I see you in Dayton (maybe faster than snail mail).  I'd really like to see what can be wrung out of 2-2-V-1 by this method, win lose or draw.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2014, 10:58:39 AM »

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/44_DadosGalore/44_DadosGalore.html
http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Documents/NTSB_Report/ntsbreport.html

If the equipment is rented or if others do the work, are there any other artifacts that would be worthy of a look? It seems most labeling we find is on interior surfaces, who knows what image may be lurking in the shadows on say one of the dados.....( acl 24 st) would be good.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 12:32:26 PM by Jerry Germann »

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2014, 08:29:59 AM »

After yesterday's work in Dayton I see this effort as more vital than before.  I'm convinced that it might help identify additional markings if any are there and perhaps tell us more about what finishes, if any, were on the part originally, etc.  All of which can help fingerprint 2-2-V-1 more strongly than we've been able to do so far.

I'll be sending a bit toward this effort - well worthwhile in my view.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2014, 05:53:50 PM »

After yesterday's work in Dayton I see this effort as more vital than before.  I'm convinced that it might help identify additional markings if any are there and perhaps tell us more about what finishes, if any, were on the part originally, etc.  All of which can help fingerprint 2-2-V-1 more strongly than we've been able to do so far.

I'll be sending a bit toward this effort - well worthwhile in my view.

C'mon guys.  We need more of you to follow Jeff Neville's example. Jeff Glickman will be doing the work here later this month. The rental of the unit, even at a 30% discount, is $1,000. Fundraising is always tough in August and it's a challenge just to meet operating costs.  With the new Patch Hypothesis looking better and better the hyperspectral imaging work is more and more important - but it's hard to explain the need to the great unwashed (bless their hearts).  The Forum understands how important this research is.  We're counting on you.  Won't you throw something in the hat?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 05:56:16 PM by Ric Gillespie »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org