Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Hyperspectral Imaging  (Read 63604 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Hyperspectral Imaging
« on: March 19, 2014, 01:29:52 PM »

There has been lots of discussion about the remnants of the original ALCOA labeling on Artifact 2-2-V-1.  All we can see is a D and a fainter A.  We may be able to get more.  Jeff Glickman would like to try hyperspectral imaging of the artifact.  Jeff says:

"Hyperspectral imaging is a useful tool for understanding more about objects than is visible with the naked eye.  Hyperspectral imaging is
used in multiple fields, including conservation.  This article from the Cantor Art Institute provides a nice introduction to hyperspectral
imaging

There is a possibility that hyperspectral imaging will reveal new information about 2-2-V-1 so I’d like to take hyperspectral images of it.
If we are to do so, we’d have to work out the logistics of getting 2-2-V-1 together with the camera, whether that is here in Washington, there in PA or elsewhere.
I looked into renting a Surface Optics SOC710-VP which is $1,500 for 3 days, or $2,000 for a week.  If you would pay for the camera rental I will, as usual, donate my services to take, process, and interpret the imagery."

This seems like a very worthwhile course of action but we'll need sponsorship.  Who will help with the cost?  Our "Canton Repair" fans should be especially eager to have this down.  It could prove your case and eliminate 2-2-V-1 as a possible smoking gun.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:32:30 PM by Ric Gillespie »

jgf1944

Re: Hyperspectral Imaging
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 02:39:08 PM »

$200 headed yours (snail mail).
J.Guthrie Ford

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 02:45:35 PM »

I realize this process might reveal contaminants such as minerals (coral and ocean exposure history?  specific enough to help pinpoint historic locale???) and hydrocarbons, etc. but how deep does it go?  Can it reveal tempering / variances in conductivity, etc.?
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

John Ousterhout

• T4
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 03:38:12 PM »

Does Jeff have any friends at the University of Washington GAO lab?
Cheers,
JohnO

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 04:20:14 PM »

Can it reveal tempering / variances in conductivity, etc.?

I don't know.  I had never heard of it until Jeff suggested it.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 04:25:43 PM »

Does Jeff have any friends at the University of Washington GAO lab?

I don't know but we decided it would be better to have one for several days and pay for the rental rather than borrow one for an afternoon.  We'll plan it for sometime when Jeff will be on the East coast and we'll do it here at the new TIGHAR Center for Aviation History Studies (aka "the farm").  We finally have room to do stuff like this.  Very exciting.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 04:26:35 PM »

$200 headed yours (snail mail).
J.Guthrie Ford

Thank you Guthrie.  Who's next?

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 05:33:32 PM »

The CAP has Hyperspectral Imaging equipment (after all, crumpled aluminum is something the CAP is generally very interested in finding), and generally at least one set of equipment per Region, and they might be interested in making this a practical training exercise as there aren't that many opportunities to practice with the gear.  I'm not talking about anything that involves flying the equipment.

Do you think it worthwhile to pursue that direction?  I have a few contacts with NE Region CAP.

amck

Kevin Weeks

• T3
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 05:38:23 PM »

The CAP has Hyperspectral Imaging equipment (after all, crumpled aluminum is something the CAP is generally very interested in finding), and generally at least one set of equipment per Region, and they might be interested in making this a practical training exercise as there aren't that many opportunities to practice with the gear.  I'm not talking about anything that involves flying the equipment.

Do you think it worthwhile to pursue that direction?  I have a few contacts with NE Region CAP.

amck

Interesting idea.. I know some former new england CAP members as well...

Ric.. what exactly would be the expected findings? Further paint markings?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 05:41:59 PM by Kevin Weeks »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 05:50:40 PM »

Let's at least find out what kind of equipment they to see it would be appropriate for our purposes.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 05:59:38 PM by Ric Gillespie »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 06:04:15 PM »

Ric.. what exactly would be the expected findings? Further paint markings?

Maybe.  I don't much about the technology but if Jeff Glickman thinks it would be a good idea that's good enough for me.

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 06:10:25 PM »

Looking to see if I can find any real specs, but here is some info

"The Airborne Real-time Cueing Hyperspectral Enhanced Reconnaissance, also known by the acronym ARCHER, is an aerial imaging system that produces ground images far more detailed than plain sight or ordinary aerial photography can.[1] It is the most sophisticated unclassified hyperspectral imaging system available, according to U.S. Government officials.[2] ARCHER can automatically scan detailed imaging for a given signature of the object being sought (such as a missing aircraft),[3] for abnormalities in the surrounding area, or for changes from previous recorded spectral signatures.[4]"

The above comes from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airborne_Real-time_Cueing_Hyperspectral_Enhanced_Reconnaissance

More found here, including presentations/ courses on the technology

http://www.capmembers.com/emergency_services/operations_support/advanced-technologies/

fact sheet with CAP contacts
http://www.capmembers.com/emergency_services/operations_support/advanced-technologies/

Whether or not it could be used on the ground with an object nearby is a good question.

amck

Kevin Weeks

• T3
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 06:18:49 PM »

Looking to see if I can find any real specs, but here is some info

"The Airborne Real-time Cueing Hyperspectral Enhanced Reconnaissance, also known by the acronym ARCHER, is an aerial imaging system that produces ground images far more detailed than plain sight or ordinary aerial photography can.[1] It is the most sophisticated unclassified hyperspectral imaging system available, according to U.S. Government officials.[2] ARCHER can automatically scan detailed imaging for a given signature of the object being sought (such as a missing aircraft),[3] for abnormalities in the surrounding area, or for changes from previous recorded spectral signatures.[4]"

The above comes from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airborne_Real-time_Cueing_Hyperspectral_Enhanced_Reconnaissance

More found here, including presentations/ courses on the technology

fact sheet with CAP contacts

Whether or not it could be used on the ground with an object nearby is a good question.

amck

Sounds much broader than needed in this instance. The little I read indicates usefulness in finding things like oil patches. I'm sure This is the sort of things that the cap unit would do

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 06:28:00 PM »

It was originally developed to recognize the spectral signature of things like aircraft aluminum and human beings as part of CAP's search and rescue mission looking for crashed aircraft.  I'm pretty sure they have an extensive library of aluminum signatures to compare images to.

Since there are much fewer missing aircraft these days (everyone has a gps and a cell phone), it gets a lot more use lately for missions like disaster assessment of oil spills and such.

amck

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 06:54:14 PM »

Thanks Jihad. I'll pass this along to Jeff and see what he thinks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org