Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Parallels of Flight  (Read 12548 times)

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
Parallels of Flight
« on: March 15, 2014, 09:06:33 AM »

In the past several days...many of you like myself have been glued to the tv in regards to the missing Malaysian airlines flight that disappeared over a week ago. Last night was no different as once again had my eyes set on any updates to see where this thing had gone too. Little did I realize that our own Ric Gillepsie would be on a panel of experts in regards to what they thought might have happened. To tell you the truth, I was really inspired by the professionalism that Ric displayed during the Kelly file segment on FoxNews. His comment with a grin, really makes sense when you think about it. The contrast of this disappearance with the Earhart flight being "parallel" is so true. What is really neat about this, is we can all learn something from both disappearances. Whether the Malaysian flight is a catastrophic or sabotage event...we can sit back and visualize what might have happened to Amelia. What I'm really interested in is the size between the two planes. Does anyone know how big both planes are? Anyway, we as a group can actually learn something from this...whether it be flight path or radio transmissions, or just flying an airplane in general. Anyway, would like your comments on this...but I think we need to applaud or just give a standing ovation to Ric on a fine job last night. We were well represented, Thanks Ric!!!

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Parallels of Flight
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 09:15:04 AM »

Aww shucks guys.  It weren't nothin'.

It was fun to be on the show with so many sharp people from so many disciplines.  It's just sad that the subject is so tragic.

Here's a photo of someone who wanted to have their picture taken with a celebrity.  ::)

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 09:25:18 AM »

Ric, in comparasion with the Electra and the 777...how much more fuel does the 777 use, and how far can it go? Just curious if you know the answer!

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 09:30:51 AM »

Ric, in comparasion with the Electra and the 777...how much more fuel does the 777 use, and how far can it go? Just curious if you know the answer!

There's really no comparison.  The 777 200ER has a published range roughly twice that of Earhart's aircraft.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 01:14:24 PM »

The necktie is a nice touch.

Should we wear our TIGHAR lapel pins in Dayton? Or would that make us look too much like some sick, demented cult?

LTM, who sometimes pines for lost pins,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 01:18:56 PM »

The necktie is a nice touch.

Thanks.  I thought the shoes were also a good idea.

Should we wear our TIGHAR lapel pins in Dayton? Or would that make us look too much like some sick, demented cult?

I was thinking we should all wear deer-stalker caps, smoke pipes, and carry big magnifying glasses.

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 05:03:28 PM »

I really apologize for the wording of "comparasion" used this morning in my post. I was mere trying to relate the idea of Rics mention of parallel in the broadcast last night. I personally was wanting to compare what its like to stand next to either plane. I personally have never seen a Lockheed Electra up close and personal or stand next to a 777. So I was wanting to know how the two compare. I merely wanted to know the length and the range it could go. So that's what I was trying to get across.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 05:11:08 PM »

The parallels I see are:

• Both mysteries are currently unsolved.
• In both cases, the initial assumption was that the plane had gone down at sea.
• Extensive searches for floating wreckage turned up nothing.
• Alleged post-loss electronic receptions from the aircraft led to speculation that the plane continued flying after the supposed time of loss and may have landed rather than crashed.
• Conspiracy theories alleged that the loss was a criminal act rather than an accident.

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 09:36:22 AM »

I love Megyn Kelly! 
You lucky man!!  Great pic! 
Very jealous! 
TIGHAR Member #4154

manjeet aujla

• T1
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 04:53:58 PM »

On neckties, magnifying glasses, deerstalker caps etc., maybe you could consider wearing bright yellow silk shirts, and brown suits ala  my favorite sleuth Nero Wolfe .... lol
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 04:56:08 PM by manjeet aujla »

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 11:23:22 AM »

Aww shucks guys.  It weren't nothin'.

It was fun to be on the show with so many sharp people from so many disciplines.  It's just sad that the subject is so tragic.

Here's a photo of someone who wanted to have their picture taken with a celebrity.  ::)

You are da MAN...

Not only is she lovely, IMO she's got one of the brightest minds on the networks.  Earhart would approve of Kelly's career.  Excellent.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 01:30:12 PM »

You are da MAN...

Not only is she lovely, IMO she's got one of the brightest minds on the networks.  Earhart would approve of Kelly's career.  Excellent.

Perhaps the career, but certainly not the political point of view!

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 02:04:37 PM »

You are da MAN...

Perhaps the career, but certainly not the political point of view!

I very nearly made that distinction as well, Tim - agreed!
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org