Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amelia Rose Earhart world flight  (Read 86075 times)

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
Re: Amelia Rose Earhart world flight
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2014, 01:15:45 PM »

...ATPs don't need instructors. They can, in fact, themselves instruct in type.
An ATP can Only instruct within his/her Airline under Their Air Carrier Certificate Part 121 Certified Training Program.   .

Section 61.167   Airline transport pilot privileges and limitations.
(a) Privileges. (1) A person who holds an airline transport pilot certificate is entitled to the same privileges as a person who holds a commercial pilot certificate with an instrument rating.
(2) A person who holds an airline transport pilot certificate and has met the aeronautical experience requirements of §61.159 and the age requirements of §61.153(a)(1) of this part may instruct—
(i) Other pilots in air transportation service in  aircraft of the category, class, and type, as applicable, for which the airline transport pilot is rated and endorse the logbook or other training record of the person to whom training has been given;
(ii) In flight simulators, and flight training devices representing the aircraft referenced in paragraph (a)(2)(i) of this section, when instructing under the provisions of this section and endorse the logbook or other training record of the person to whom training has been given;

Art, wouldn't this language include training of Part 135 pilots?

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

pilotart

• T3
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2014, 06:55:17 PM »

Section 61.167   Airline transport pilot privileges and limitations.
(a) Privileges. (1) A person who holds an airline transport pilot certificate is entitled to the same privileges as a person who holds a commercial pilot certificate with an instrument rating.
(2) A person who holds an airline transport pilot certificate and has met the aeronautical experience requirements of §61.159 and the age requirements of §61.153(a)(1) of this part may instruct—
(i) Other pilots in air transportation service in  aircraft of the category, class, and type, as applicable, for which the airline transport pilot is rated and endorse the logbook or other training record of the person to whom training has been given;
(ii) In flight simulators, and flight training devices representing the aircraft referenced in paragraph (a)(2)(i) of this section, when instructing under the provisions of this section and endorse the logbook or other training record of the person to whom training has been given;
To add paragraph 3 to the above quoted 'FAR'.
(3) Only as provided in this section, except that an airline transport pilot who also holds a flight instructor certificate can exercise the instructor privileges under subpart H of this part for which he or she is rated;

Art, wouldn't this language include training of Part 135 pilots?

Yes Tim, FAR Section 61.3 (d) (3) (ii) "...conducted in accordance with an approved air carrier training program approved under part 121 or part 135 of this chapter;..."
And then it goes on with paragraph (iii) dealing with "Approved" schools, (iv) requiring a Ground Instructor Certificate for endorsements and (v) goes back to having an authorized flight instructor certificate.  BTW a Commercial Pilot (about 10% qualified as an ATP) Certificate with a "Lighter-Than-Air" Category listed can give unrestricted instruction in an Airship or Balloon Class Aircraft (the Lighter than Air Category does not exist on Flight Instructor Certificates).

I just don't agree with a general statement that ATP's can provide Flight Instruction without the qualifier that their instructing is under much more restrictive requirements than Certified Flight Instructors come under.

FAR's 142, 135 and 121 have pages of requirements (far more than I would want to paste here :D but they far exceed what is required for CFI's) for ATP's to meet for use as instructors and then each Operator must have an "Approved" Manual and Training Program kept up to date to use those privileges.

Given those requirements and limitations, I can see the logic in not requiring an Approved Air Carrier or School's Instructors to not also need CFI cards, but most of them have them anyway.  A part 135 flight-check passed with an FAA Inspector by a qualified Commercial Pilot is sufficient if requested, for issuance of an ATP license.

Back when I flew under FAR-135, I did not need a current CFI, but the  CFI renewal requirements were more than met by my 135 activity and although not automatic, my Certificate was always renewed  just by filling out an application.  I had tried for ten years to get FAA Approval to use FlightSafety (Approved Simulator Program) for every other six month check without success, job protection by FAA...

Certified Flight Instructor is the only Pilot Certificate with an expiration date (24 months).  CFI Renewal can be accomplished with a minimal 16 hour class (or online), or by an FAA Inspector with personal knowledge or his/her satisfactory review of your Record.  If you let it expire, you must re-do all of the practical tests for each and every Category, Class, Type and Authorization you want  renewed.  FAA went back and forth on requiring you to do that with FAA Inspectors or allowing the use of Designated Examiners. A Ground Instructor Certificate does not expire.

None of the other Pilot Certificates carry expiration dates either, but have requirements you must accomplish to keep them current.

Tim, I am aware that with your history of buying Airports, Scheduled & Non-Scheduled Air Carriers (and Railroad Lines) that you must be very familiar with the above.  I only provide the details to clarify for others when, where and how an ATP Can teach and that an ATP not in Air-Carrier service WILL NEED an Instructor or Approved School periodically for FAA Rules and Insurance Warranties.

I recall the PanAm name being used for a Flight Simulator School which became the current and well-respected SimCom, that must have been prior to your involvement?
Art Johnson

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2014, 03:26:25 AM »

Art, we're on the same page.

Yes, but SimCom and PanAm Academy separated in 2006.

We had purchased 2 727 simulators from United. They were eventually resold to FedEx as I recall.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2014, 11:26:01 AM »

This is kind of cool!  Landing at Tarawa.   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80JQBP59wN4
TIGHAR Member #4154

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org