Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sextant Boxes and Marsupials - Hello Again!  (Read 5405 times)

Ross Devitt

• TIGHAR member
Sextant Boxes and Marsupials - Hello Again!
« on: February 06, 2014, 11:06:32 PM »

Hello to some of the old timers on the Earhart Forum. 
I was looking for something in search and came across a post in the forum with my name on it dated 2002.  Has it really been that long?
Anyway, it is great to see that a few people from those days are still active and there are so many new members excited about the search.
For any recent members, the post title refers to an experiment I conducted on a tropical island some time around 2000ish that involved painting some numbers on a wooden box, and leaving it on a tropical beach then returning over the course of a year and a half to see whether the sextant box found with the bones on Niku might reasonably have belonged to the Electra.
The marsupial reference is self evident.

Cheers,
Th' WOMBAT

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
Re: Sextant Boxes and Marsupials - Hello Again!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 07:14:43 PM »

What happened with the experiment?
I wonder about the sextant box and how long it could have lasted on the island. If possibly being painted over with black enamel might improve weathering. I think it may be possible that Gallagher left off the word "box" when he was describing what he actually could see (the box and not the sextant).
Instead of Sextant as described in the bones file being old fashioned. The alternate theory might be that the sextant box being "old fashioned" (because it had dovetail joints and dovetail joints are old fashioned).
3971R

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org