Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pilot's Overhead Hatch  (Read 19520 times)

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
Pilot's Overhead Hatch
« on: February 04, 2014, 08:05:07 PM »

I’m intrigued by an apparent modification to the hatch over the cockpit in AE’s L10-E. The Harney drawings show that hatch to be hinged at the centerline on the top of the aircraft. And just about every other picture or video I’ve seen agrees with that. An accident photo taken at Luke Field shows the opened hatch is hinged at the centerline, and a picture of the Electra in Venezuela shows the same thing.

But at some point in time the hatch seems to have been awkwardly hinged at its outer edge over the pilot’s side window. This is seen in a video (I do not know where or when it was shot — but the sequence involving the hatch begins at 00:52), showing AE swinging her legs over the roof behind the hatch and then sliding down into the pilot’s seat. The assumption is that this is AE’s aircraft and not some other L10 — could AE have been involved in a photoshoot using someone else’s L10 Electra?

I wonder if there exists, in the vast expanse of documents maintained by TIGHAR, any mention of this minor change in the structure of the aircraft? Or might this be just another modification without a record?
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

John Ousterhout

• T4
Re: Pilot's Overhead Hatch
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 08:42:47 PM »

Bruce - both of your attached pictures show the hatch hinged at the center-line.  I'm on excruciatingly slow dial-up, so I don't get to view movies.  Can you post a still photo that shows the alternative opening?
A hatch seems like a likely place for a lightly reinforced thin aluminum sheet to have been used.
Cheers,
JohnO

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 08:47:03 PM »

It's in the video, John. Click on the link in my post to bring up the video, and at the 52nd second you'll see the hatch hinged over the pilot's window. Here's a single frame.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 08:50:16 PM by Bruce Thomas »

John Ousterhout

• T4
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 10:08:22 AM »

Bruce - thanks, that's a very interesting photo.  I don't see any loop antenna, which makes me think it's a photo of the aircraft early in it's life, or of some other aircraft as you mentioned.
Sorry, but I can't download a video on dialup, but the photo is welcome.
Cheers,
JohnO

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 10:10:01 AM by John Ousterhout »

Jeff Palshook

• T2
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 05:16:50 PM »

Bruce,

The early version of Earhart's Electra did have the cockpit hatch hinged as shown in the video you referenced.  There a couple photos in the Purdue archives showing the aircraft with that hatch arrangement.  Also, I think the set of Harney drawings includes a page/sheet which describes the history of the major known modifications made to Earhart's Electra over the course of its life and I'm pretty sure the hatch modifications are included on that sheet.

The photo you posted of the Electra in Caripito, Venuzuela, is interesting.  Do you have the source (website url) where you found it?

Thanks,

Jeff P.

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 06:57:57 PM »

The photo you posted of the Electra in Caripito, Venuzuela, is interesting.  Do you have the source (website url) where you found it?

The webpage where I found the photo is a long string of aviation photos. Scroll down about 3/4 of the way to get to AE's aircraft in Caripito, Venezuela. But the photo is also in the Purdue collection, of course.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org