Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Lawsuit filed over failure to Report evidence of artifacts found  (Read 14093 times)

Michael Calvin Powell

• T1

http://www.popsci.com/article/science/lawsuit-alleges-nasa-failing-investigate-alien-life

Sorry, couldn't resist looking at the resemblance to recent events.
Tighar Researcher

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
Re: New Lawsuit filed over failure to Report evidence of artifacts found
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 02:45:42 PM »

I still say that rock looks like a jelly donut. The guy is perfectly within his rights to sue over something with that much scientific importance at stake.

*cough*

LTM, who wonders when the silliness will stop,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Michael Calvin Powell

• T1
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 07:21:57 AM »

My favorite comment was on CNET - which suggested this was an effort by Elvis to send a message from Mars:  Send More Jelly Doughnuts.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57617480-1/mars-rover-spies-mysterious-jelly-doughnut-rock/
Tighar Researcher

John Ousterhout

• T4
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 08:37:25 AM »

Does this mean the Face On Mars is a Cop?
Cheers,
JohnO

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 05:02:35 PM »

Maybe someone from the welcoming committee threw something at the rover?

This must be the place

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 06:19:04 AM »

Thanks, Jeff! For making me spew coffee all over the keyboard!  ;D

LTM, who always keeps wipes handy,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Jimmie Tyler

• T1
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 09:26:32 AM »

Wow!!! Here I am trying to get ahead of the game enough to renew my TIGHAR membership, and you see folks waste resources on stuff like this. Seems to me that NASA has provided an enormous amount of information to the public about space exploration. Probably more so than any other entity. Same goes with TIGHAR. Who on Earth has put more money, dedication, blood, sweat, and tears into solving the Earhart mystery other than TIGHAR?  HELLO!!!  Somebody please correct me if I am wrong, but how can anyone specifically say that a rock is a landing gear, banjo, alien, or even toilet paper? Without physically being there to examine the object. Sounds like he said she said stuff to me. Perhaps TIGHAR can retrieve the pieces of coral that are thought to be toilet paper, and use them for paper weights in the office. The thought of TIGHAR knowing right where Amelia is, and ignoring it to financially gain is absolutely ludicrous, and ridiculous. Really??? Human selfishness never ceases to amaze me.. I'm surely not the sharpest tool in the box, but I'm sharp enough to realize these law suits are frivolous, and senseless. I mean think about it.. TIGHAR is going to bust there rear ends raising money and spend a few million MORE dollars on another expedition. Meanwhile they found her 4 years ago. You got to be kidding me. Right?
Jim, TIGHAR #4064

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:05:54 AM by Jimmie Tyler »

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 07:42:37 PM »

"Lawsuit Alleges NASA Is Failing To Investigate Alien Life"

Which is technically correct as they are actually investigating the apparent sudden appearance of what looks like a rock. From NASA...

In a comparison of recent photographs captured by the rover’s panoramic camera, or Pancam, on sol 3528 of the mission, only bare bedrock can be seen. But on sol 3540, a fist-sized rock had appeared (raw Pancam images can be found in the mission archive). MER scientists promptly nicknamed the object “Pinnacle Island.”

It’s about the size of a jelly doughnut,” Squyres told Discovery News. “It was a total surprise, we were like ‘wait a second, that wasn’t there before, it can’t be right. Oh my god! It wasn’t there before!’ We were absolutely startled.”

But the rover didn’t roll over that area, so where did Pinnacle Island come from?

Only two options have so far been identified as the rock’s source: 1) The rover either “flipped” the object as it maneuvered or, 2) it landed there, right in front of the rover, after a nearby meteorite impact event. The impact ejecta theory, however, is the least likely of the two.

“So my best guess for this rock … is that it’s something that was nearby,” said Squyres. “I must stress that I’m guessing now, but I think it happened when the rover did a turn in place a meter or two from where this rock now lies.”

Opportunity’s front right steering actuator has stopped working, so Squyres identified that as the possible culprit behind the whole mystery.

Each wheel on the rover has its own actuator. Should an actuator jam or otherwise fail, the robot’s mobility can suffer. In the case of this wheel, it can no longer turn left or right. “So if you do a turn in place on bedrock,” continued Squyres, “as you turn that wheel across the rock, it’s gonna kinda ‘chatter.’” This jittery motion across the bedrock may have propelled the rock out of place, “tiddlywinking” the object from its location and flipping it a few feet away from the rover.

Never missing a scientific opportunity, Opportunity scientists hope to study the bright rock. “It obligingly turned upside down, so we’re seeing a side that hasn’t seen the Martian atmosphere in billions of years and there it is for us to investigate. It’s just a stroke of luck,” he said.

“You think of Mars as being a very static place and I don’t think there’s a smoking hole nearby so it’s not a bit of crater ejecta, I think it’s something that we did … we flung it.”

Although this is the leading theory behind the case of the random rock, Squyres pointed out that the investigation is still under way and it will be a few days before his team can definitively say where Pinnacle Island came from.

NASA are at least investigating the rock, if people were only a bit more patient it would save a lot of time and money.

Don't envy curiosity's next challenge though, looks like it could easily come a cropper on that sand dune...

This must be the place

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 07:18:12 AM »

Maybe someone should investigate the content of ground water in the places these folks drink from to learn what it is that makes them pursue this kind of stuff...
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 07:42:46 AM »

Maybe someone should investigate the content of ground water in the places these folks drink from to learn what it is that makes them pursue this kind of stuff...

It's bottled water from Wyoming.

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 07:50:35 AM »

It's bottled water from Wyoming.

;D
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org