Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Digital Electra  (Read 23723 times)

Walter Runck

• TIGHAR member
The Digital Electra
« on: January 14, 2014, 07:32:13 AM »

Are the Lockheed drawings available to members?  I would like to develop some 3D CAD models of the landing gear, but I need source documentation from which to work.  Results to be made available to TIGHAR at no charge of course.

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
Re: The Digital Electra
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 08:37:03 AM »

Hi Walter
A landing gear dwg is in reply 57 of this thread
Since AutoCad can set the sun in any location and at any time of day for that location, it would be interesting to see the 3D model of the landing gear parts at the time Bevington took the photo. However putting the parts in the right position is another challenge. A general study of the shadows cast would be interesting to me.
As my own study I was drawing it in 2D and still had to interpolate some dimensions and some parts are still not clear to me. Attached is a pdf of the cad dwg I did for my own study
3971R

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 08:51:18 AM by Greg Daspit »

Walter Runck

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 04:38:01 PM »

Thanks Greg,

Nice job on the sketch.  Since you've done this type of work, you know that all kinds of source data can be helpful, but to do this right I need dimensioned (and hopefully toleranced) manufacturing drawings. 40650 is an assembly drawing, so it shows how components go together and details some of the attaching hardware, but the scan quality is such that I can only make out some AN part numbers on the nuts and bolts.  Hopefully it and the other drawings are available in better quality.

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 06:32:26 PM »

Hi Walter
Since AutoCad can set the sun in any location and at any time of day for that location, it would be interesting to see the 3D model of the landing gear parts at the time Bevington took the photo. However putting the parts in the right position is another challenge. A general study of the shadows cast would be interesting to me.
As my own study I was drawing it in 2D and still had to interpolate some dimensions and some parts are still not clear to me. Attached is a pdf of the cad dwg I did for my own study

Greg,

My forensic team has perfected a 3D model of the main and taiwheel gear systems (and all their components). We have successfully superimposed these to match objects in the 2010 HD videos. This will all be presented in court, of course.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 07:07:26 AM »

Hi Walter

Greg,

My forensic team has perfected a 3D model of the main and taiwheel gear systems (and all their components). We have successfully superimposed these to match objects in the 2010 HD videos. This will all be presented in court, of course.

Of course, Tim - where else?

Greg, Walter - nice work - and I'm grateful I didn't have to await court proceedings and 'the public record' to get to see them at work in the open.  Thanks for sharing.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

James G. Stoveken

• T2
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 10:51:29 AM »

My forensic team has perfected a 3D model of the main and taiwheel gear systems (and all their components). We have successfully superimposed these to match objects in the 2010 HD videos.

How'd they make out with the banjo and roll of toilet paper?
Jim Stoveken

James Champion

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 05:31:31 PM »

If you really wanted to get some Electra landing gear measurements, you could contact Buffalo Airways in Yellowknife Northwest Territories (NT) Canada as shown in this bonus feature clip from the popular Ice Pilots NWT TV series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpYlPyMglX8

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 05:20:24 AM »

OMG James! That was what I had all typed up to post and then my conscience got the better of me and I deleted it. Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking along those lines.
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 07:59:51 AM »

Now that does not look like fun. They appear to be using the armstrong recovery method.

LTM, who watches who he wrestles with.
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Walter Runck

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 02:27:18 PM »

Are the Lockheed drawings available to members?  I would like to develop some 3D CAD models of the landing gear, but I need source documentation from which to work.  Results to be made available to TIGHAR at no charge of course.

Thanks for most of the responses, but the original question remains unanswered.  A couple of days ago I saw a facebook announcement about some drawings that sounded like they were being made available so I asked about access, but I still don't know how to get them.  In the meantime, I appreciate the sketches (Greg), laughs (James S) and link (James C). 

I've been wondering how a mainmount that was separated from the wing could have become inverted on the reef and the video of those guys manhandling one into the seaplane made me curious about the buoyancy of a section of the landing gear with an intact tire.  If I can get a decent model put together, we could see if and how it might float.  I can believe that a falling tide would leave a lollipop standing rightside up from the reef a lot easier if I know that it floats in that orientation.

I hate to repeat the question, but here it is.  Are the Lockheed drawings that Mr. Inman collected available to TIGHAR members?  If so, how can I get a set?  Thanks in advance,

Walter

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 03:07:31 PM »

Hi Walter

The answer to your question is NO well not through Tighar anyway, They are only available to internal members of the B.O.D of Tighar under strict conditions set out not by the designer not Tighar
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Walter Runck

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 06:23:26 PM »

Hi Walter

The answer to your question is NO well not through Tighar anyway, They are only available to internal members of the B.O.D of Tighar under strict conditions set out not by the designer not Tighar

Thanks Richie, it seems like that is as close to an answer as I'm going to get.  No offense, but you're not listed as being a member of the Board, so I wasn't sure in what capacity you were speaking.  Perhaps TIGHAR has made other arrangements for modeling and drawing work.  Either way, the offer stands. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org