Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Solomons Island Expedition  (Read 21736 times)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
Solomons Island Expedition
« on: December 31, 2013, 09:34:31 AM »

What ever happened with the notes from the visit to the Nikumaroro Village?  I was under the impression that they shed some light onto the island use of the area around the seven site as well as further stories of plane wreckage including a 'door'.

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
Re: Solomons Island Expedition
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 10:45:35 AM »

What ever happened with the notes from the visit to the Nikumaroro Village? 

Chris, I presume you're looking for the "more detailed report" that the preliminary synopsis, which came out a couple of years ago, said would "follow, when the audio and video recordings have been completely transcribed and analyzed."
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 07:31:36 PM »

This interesting article regarding desert island life appeared on the BBC website last month...

Palmerston: The island at the end of the earth

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25430383

This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 05:49:16 AM »

I was going to post that! Interesting how the original settler died from malnutrition even though the island had coconuts and fish.

There are some points raised that have featured in one or two of our threads Chris, the collecting of rainwater for drinking being one and the gathering of food situation being another. From the overhead satellite image it appears that Palmerston also has an over wash area.
This must be the place

Dave McDaniel

• T2
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 09:58:47 AM »

"We were made to enjoy the world, enjoy the fresh air, enjoy the sunshine, enjoy the things God put us on the earth to enjoy. He didn't put us on the earth to kill other people or hate other people."  - Bob Marsters

Works for me. Happy New Year to all!

LTM,
Dave

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 10:02:22 AM »

What ever happened with the notes from the visit to the Nikumaroro Village? 

Chris, I presume you're looking for the "more detailed report" that the preliminary synopsis, which came out a couple of years ago, said would "follow, when the audio and video recordings have been completely transcribed and analyzed."

Be careful what you wish for.  To really assess what information was obtained we need written transcripts of the the extensive interviews that Gary Quigg and his team collected. The problem has been that nobody has had the time to tackle the transcription.  The audio recordings are difficult to transcribe. Each question had to be translated by the translator and then the answer had to be translated for the interviewer.  The sound quality is not always good and there was often unavoidable background noise (usually kids).

This is a great opportunity for someone, or a group of someones, to make a significant non-financial contribution to the research. There are four .wav files.  Each is several hundred MB and represents one to two hours of dialogue.  What we need are transcripts as Word files.
Who wants to volunteer? I can put them in Dropbox and send you an invitation.

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 10:58:57 AM »

Happy New Year 2014 to all!!! Ric, I'd like to give it a try. Thanks!!!!

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 03:39:04 PM »

Opps would be rude not to volunteer then! :-[

Okay, that's Randy and Chris so far.  Anyone else want to take a stab at transcribing the Solomons interviews?

Friend Weller

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 11:31:00 AM »

At last, a way I can help!  Are there any specific ground rules you would like followed and/or a particular structure/format you would prefer?

Ric, thank you for this opportunity.....!
Friend
TIGHAR 3086V

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 12:14:35 PM »

At last, a way I can help!  Are there any specific ground rules you would like followed and/or a particular structure/format you would prefer?

Good question.  We don't need anything elaborate. Each transcription should be a Word document.  I've attached a short example as a template.

We'l let each volunteer transcribe all the interviews, rather than divvy them up.  That way we'll have several versions of each interview and we can check them against each other.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 05:36:15 PM »

Randy, Chris, Friend,

I've loaded the four interviews in the TIGHAR Dropbox. Please email me at tigharic@mac.com and I'll send you an invitation so that you can download them.

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 09:11:52 PM »

if a Scouse version will help count me in  :)
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 08:13:40 AM »

I've sent links to the Dropbox to Chris, randy, Friend and Richie. Let me know if you get the files okay.

Friend Weller

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 10:32:13 AM »

All four files downloaded OK and appear to be complete.  Now the fun begins......thanks, Ric!!! ;D
Friend
TIGHAR 3086V

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 12:10:42 PM »

Hi All

Ric as there is 4 people taking part and 4 wav files, can u throw our names in a hat an assign us a file each

Am ready to go

Thanks Richie  :)   
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org