Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ABOVE WATER SHUTOFF!!!  (Read 9122 times)

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
ABOVE WATER SHUTOFF!!!
« on: December 18, 2013, 09:09:09 PM »

This has become an interesting topic over the course of the past several months, and has been really intersting to see many of you trying to decipher the actual transmission that Amelia had sent. As I was going over some of your comments in regards to this transmission, something popped in my head that made me wonder if the Electra might have had an actual "Emergency Shutoff" system in place. The reason I ponder this question, is would Amelia have actually known about a water shutoff if she didn't see it first hand? Afterall, you're in trouble...water is rising fast....and the plane is running...so is electricity to power the radio....So does she kill the key to the plane or kill the power to the radio? Big question...again I'm no expert...but the thought did cross my mind in regards to this. Plus, if water got up that close to the radio means only one thing...that the Electra is in big trouble. She doesn't have alot of time...I mean if water has gotten up that high means the plane is really close to moving with the tide or going over the reef's edge. Also, what happens when water intertwines with mechancial parts in the motor section? Most likely will lockup the motor if sea water gets in the oil or gasoline. If this is the case...and the engine is running...and she does have water coming into the nose of the plane...would she have sputtering with this...and is it possible that sputtering might lead to breaks in radio transmissions sent. Kinda of like power surges? Anyway, just a thought!!! I truly believe that Amelia didn't have enough time to react when she made that final transmission...It was a "Save your butt" moment or go down with the Electra. Like alot of others...I believe that Fred was too injured to make it out alive or was already dead from his injuries! Anyway, would like feedback on this...thanks!!!!

Christophe Blondel

• TIGHAR member
Re: ABOVE WATER SHUTOFF!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 11:16:11 AM »

IMHO the logical way to send a message in Morse code when you are not used to it, is first to write it down in dots and dashes, then calmly send the code written under your eyes, without having to think about the text any more, with whatever manipulator you have. The idea of Amelia improvising the end of her message in the very last seconds her radio can still emit does not appear to me very consistent with her - admitted - awkwardness with Morse code. Just my idea.

Best regards

Bill de Creeft

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 11:55:51 AM »

once the water level reaches the arc of the propellor the engine cannot run without breaking something...particularly at any speed that would produce voltage or power to move the plane.
If there is a connection, they would have been running it during the hours where the tide permitted.
And there may have been a point were the water reached the location of the  battery.
This has all been studied and discussed, I think...

For myself I don't have a problem with the transmissions, just the interpretation, based on Betty's notebook; and the notion that whether or not they reached land on Gardner Is. is to be decided on whether or not the transmissions match the assumptions.

I believe they got there and that they transmitted, and that they tried to tell the world that they were there.

Should have worked.

But I have said that here before this, as have others....so i am just replying to your specific questions...I consider them on the island...just lets go find them...either the airplane under water, or their remains somewhere on the land.

Bill
Bill de Creeft

Tighar Member #4131

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 02:58:18 PM »

I'm sitting here reflecting on the 'above water shutoff' heading here and thinking over the '281 north' message vs. what Betty heard, and it has me thinking of the difference in character of those messages.  I have and always believe Betty was and is sincere - and maybe did hear Earhart, but the latter part of that is a comparative long-shot IMHO.

I also remain intrigued by the '281 north' message in crude code, perhaps sent by someone keying a mic.  The difference in the two intrigues me - not just that one is in 'code', such as it was - but what was 'said' or heard, and what wasn't. 

What strikes me is that while both have some elements of drama in them, the 'code' message seems a more business-like attempt.  The Betty version (voice) seems more theatrical - and of course, that could be how it was (Earhart was a tad theatrical anyway I guess...).  The '281 north' message just seems the more plausible, if I had to choose. 

The version Betty heard just seems a bit out there - in terms of length of broadcast and character, even though I'm aware that no one has come up with a known dramatic program that would have produced what was heard.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Christophe Blondel

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 02:10:58 PM »

Just consider, as I did at the end of the older thread The most perplexing issues, that "281 N HOWLAND" could be a mistranscription of the emergency phrase "NOONAN INJURED" (see my explanation there). Wouldn't it appear less business-like and theatrical enough ?

Best regards

Christophe

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 02:33:00 PM »

The version Betty heard just seems a bit out there - in terms of length of broadcast and character, even though I'm aware that no one has come up with a known dramatic program that would have produced what was heard.

The length of time (an hour and three-quarters) and character (no music, no commercials) pretty much eliminates the possibility of a commercial broadcast.  Any TIGHAResearcher who has received the audio CD of the March Of Time Broadcast knows what a 1930s radio show sounds like.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org