Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Amelia Rose Earhart world flight  (Read 85196 times)

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
Re: Amelia Rose Earhart world flight
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2014, 11:33:40 AM »

http://blog.sfgate.com/stew/2014/07/11/amelia-rose-earhart-completes-round-the-world-flight/?cmpid=hp-hc-bayarea#25033101=0

Just wanted to share this story ... this was the most related current thread I could think of. This young girl just completed a AE type round the world trip, in honor of AE. She is also named AE.

I hope tighar gets in touch with her, to extend a membership (maybe you already have, and this is old news).  She would make a nice poster-girl for tighar publicity. I know tighar is a serious organization with a serious agenda, but hey, a little publicity never hurts. And note, that although she had a co-pilot etc. she did make a huge effort with this trip, and it was not just a photo-op. This is a genuine accomplishment.

imho
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2014, 08:30:07 AM »

I think, Amelia Rose Earhart did a great job. Even in 2014, the world flight was a big challenge. Congratulations!
Oskar

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2014, 04:46:43 PM »

She gets a thumb's up from me, because, 1) Anything that promotes general aviation is good, 2) Anything that gets young people interested in the sciences is good, and 3) She did it with style, al la her namesake.

That, plus she made it!

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2014, 07:15:22 AM »

. . .and then there's this, which has not received anywhere near the press coverage Amelia Rose Earhart's effort has.

http://www.10news.com/news/19-year-old-pilot-matt-guthmiller-sets-new-world-record-for-flight-07142014

Bravo to both.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2014, 08:06:17 AM »

Nobody wants to hear this but I'm going to say it again anyway.
Amelia Rose Earhart grossly mislead the public for her own self-aggrandizement. The real Amelia Earhart often did much the same thing but at least she was nominally qualified in the airplanes she flew. AE did her own flying. Sometimes not well, but her accomplishments were genuine.
Amelia Rose's faux-world flight does keep her namesake's name before the public but what she did is the antithesis of everything TIGHAR stands for.

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2014, 05:52:20 AM »

It is what it is.

Meanwhile, for some perspective on the feat of globe-girdling flight -

At least 186 small single engine planes (only three of which were turbines) have been flown around the world.  107 of those were solo and quite a few of them were women pilots, including some solo flights.  The youngest SOLO flight was by a 19 year old fellow in 2013.

http://www.earthrounders.com/cgi/singles.php

A notable was -

2004   Polly Vacher   UK   Piper Dakota       G-FRGN   

WEST   First woman solo over 7 continents
First woman solo over the North Pole
First solo in single over 7 continents
FAI Circumnavigator Badge

The ages aren't given, but somehow it seems that Amelia Rose Earhart was probably not the youngest female pilot to fly around the world.

http://www.earthrounders.com/

What's in a name?  Would a Rose by any other... and there seem to be flowers of many colors after all. 

That she raised money for girls to fly is not a bad thing, nice.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

pilotart

• T3
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2014, 11:37:45 AM »

I only saw her flight website after a link was posted here about passing Howland, it was just a nice map showing their progress with no live video seen.

What strikes out to me was her Publicity Engine compared to the teenager's (far more impressive) Solo World flight from the link a few posts before, Amelia and her CoPilot passed over him during their trip.  He had a headstart but Amelia's Pilatus was much faster and higher flying than his Bonanza.

A very Big advantage for a beautiful TV Personality named Amelia Earhart, but I give her a lot of credit for her promotion of the trip and especially her support for young female pilots. 

What caught my attention the most was a story I was led to from Jeffrey Neville's link:

http://www18.tok2.com/home/soar/med/pc-12web1.pdf

This related to an AOPA Japan World Flight with a fleet of single engine planes ending with the loss of a Pilatus PC-12 (same model as Amelia Rose's) into the Pacific Ocean.

This was a catastrophic failure of the Pilatus' Pratt & Whitney PT-6A Turboprop engine during high altitude cruise.  This was followed by a depleted battery 'dead-stick' glide down to an ocean with a 100' ceiling and 15 knot winds with a very successful ditching into 10' waved seas.  The four occupants were rescued by a Russian Freighter after 15 hours in a liferaft dressed in survival suits.  Their Pilatus PC-12 had remained afloat for several hours but then sank, removing potential for investigating the exact cause of that engine failure.

The Pratt & Whitney PT-6A Turboprop (powers the Pilatus as well as most other Turboprop aircraft) has such an excellent reputation for reliability that former restrictions for Passenger-for-Hire in single-engine aircraft in poor visibility have been lifted worldwide.  Over-water Passenger-for-Hire single engine restrictions would still apply.

In 5,000+ hours of flight with PT-6A engines I have experienced two Pratt & Whitney PT-6A Turboprop engine failures.  First one was just a simple loss of a cotter-pin rolling the engine back to idle, with two engines it was no big deal.  My Second PT-6A loss was a catastrophic disintegration from a CT blade failure with a spectacular night show of fire outside the cabin from the prop to the tail.
Art Johnson

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2014, 08:06:51 AM »

"Amelia Rose Earhart grossly mislead the public for her own self-aggrandizement."

Ric, not sure how she misled the public (unless you are referring to the PIC issue again), but I still had rather embrace her rather than degrade her.  As mentioned in an earlier post regarding her "publicity machine".....no doubt.....have you looked at her.....I bet she can raise some money!  She's pretty easy on the eyes.  Rather her be a friend to Tighar's cause, and take a personal interest in it (that publicity thing), than.........
Enough said by me too. 
TIGHAR Member #4154

« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2014, 01:52:00 PM »

Dan,
I think you are right. Would'nt it be smart to invite Amelia Rose Earhart to join TIGHAR? Maybe she's able to find sponsors...

Ric,
I don't really understand what you mean by saying: "...what she did is the antithesis of everything TIGHAR stands for."
Oskar, #4421A

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2014, 01:54:52 PM »

Offer her an honorary membership.  Maybe even a reasonable level.   Get her, AND HER FRIENDS, involved in finding "her namesake". 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2014, 03:00:33 PM »

*points up* What Dan said. Mellon has tried to poison the well. This might be a good antidote.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2014, 07:28:14 AM »

So she will endorse Tighar and maybe assist in it's efforts regarding AE.   Nothing ventured....nothing gained. 
TIGHAR Member #4154

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2014, 09:35:22 AM »

Seems like two very different ventures to me, what 'Rose' did, and what TIGHAR does, seemingly tied by a name... but maybe not so close in mission after all.  Maybe that's where it should just be left to lay.

I hope we see the day when we're not concerned so much with how sweet the well water once was not.  Too much has gone into this to let the negatives take it down.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2014, 09:42:20 AM »

I only refer to her obvious ability to raise funds and attract sponsors.  That is the potential value and possible common ground.   
TIGHAR Member #4154

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org