Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preserving Wikipedia's purity  (Read 10465 times)

Christophe Blondel

• TIGHAR member
Preserving Wikipedia's purity
« on: October 25, 2013, 02:14:57 PM »

Maybe adding the link to The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery to the list of external links of Amelia Earhart's Wikipedia page could help ... At least if does no good, it should not do any harm. How is it not already done ?

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Preserving Wikipedia's purity
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 07:08:45 PM »

Maybe adding the link to The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery to the list of external links of Amelia Earhart's Wikipedia page could help ... At least if does no good, it should not do any harm. How is it not already done ?

Please look on the left-hand side of the page.

Find the word "website."

Then look for TIGHAR home directly under that word.

If you click on that link, it should take you to the home page of the TIGHAR website.
 website   
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 07:13:52 PM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

James G. Stoveken

• T2
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 08:27:31 PM »

Marty, I think you misunderstood Christophe's suggestion.  He wasn't referring to the "Ameliapedia" but to the Amelia Earhart entry at Wikipedia.  There is a list of "External Links" at the bottom of the page.  I don't know the protocol for adding links there but it seems like a good suggestion.
Jim Stoveken

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 08:53:21 PM »

Marty, I think you misunderstood Christophe's suggestion.  He wasn't referring to the "Ameliapedia" but to the Amelia Earhart entry at Wikipedia.  There is a list of "External Links" at the bottom of the page.  I don't know the protocol for adding links there but it seems like a good suggestion.

Yes, you're right.  I was wrong.

All I saw was the "-pedia" ending, I guess.   :(

I know how to edit wiki pages.  I have an account on Wikipedia, and I've got a history of doing small corrections.  I am not going to make this edit because I am not a neutral party.  I run the server for this website (tighar.org), and doing anything on Wikipedia to drive traffic to this website smacks of a conflict of interest for me.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Christophe Blondel

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 04:09:42 AM »

I know how to make additions to Wikipedia pages, but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amelia_Earhart appears to be a special one, warning: "This page is currently semi-protected and can be edited only by established registered users". Since I am a registered user and actually still made a bunch of corrections during the elapsed week, I do not really understand why I am not allowed to edit the page (maybe corrections in French-speaking Wikipédia do not qualify for corrections in English-speaking pages) ... The trouble is not that severe (except for the fact that a TIGHAR link would not be the least appropriate in the list, considering the external links already posted), the "Gardner island hypothesis" actually has a complete chapter, probably duly updated by TIGHAR members, and the link is conspicuous there.

On the other hand, the Amelia Earhart entry in French-speaking Wikipédia is not protected at all, and there is plenty of work to do there. Just think that, up to yesterday, Amelia's lost plane was a model 12, not a 10E ... Of course one of the first addition I made to the page was the TIGHAR link, in the list of "Liens externes".

Best wishes to Niku VIII !

Christophe

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 06:25:51 AM »

"This page is currently semi-protected and can be edited only by established registered users". Since I am a registered user and actually still made a bunch of corrections during the elapsed week, I do not really understand why I am not allowed to edit the page ...

The links from the message about semi-protection lead to this discussion of auto-confirmation.  You may just have to wait for a while and do more editing to gain that status.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Christophe Blondel

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 06:27:43 AM »

It appears I have touched a sore point, for even though I have not yet had any interaction with English-speaking Wikipedia about AE page, I already get the message

"Mr. Blondel, it has come to my attention that it is your intent to modify English Wikipedia’s Amelia Earhart page for the purpose of encouraging donations to TIGHAR. Be advised that English Wikipedia policy clearly indicates that Wikipedia is not a means of promotion of any kind. If you go to English Wikipedia and run a search for “WP:SOAPBOX” you’ll be able to read the relevant policy."

I have just responded (still in my Wikipedia discussion page)

"Mr X, probably you were mislead by my the entry I used in the TIGHAR forum. I should actually have created a more neutral thread, for my message was just a wonder that a link to TIGHAR's website had not yet been added to the list of external links, at the bottom of English Wikipedia's Amelia Earhart page. I maintain that posting such a link would be quite appropriate, considering the quantity of information (especially copies of original documents) displayed on the site. This would be far less promotional anyway than the link to a "Amelia Earhart official website" the first image of which is the trailer to the 2009 biopic ..."

May be it would be a good idea actually not to continue this discussion under the "Raising money" thread.

Best regards

Christophe

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 07:18:18 AM »

It appears I have touched a sore point, for even though I have not yet had any interaction with English-speaking Wikipedia about AE page, I already get the message ...

I received a similar message.

It is from 74.133.117.36, a user who has made precisely zero edits to Wikipedia articles. 

I laugh at Mr., Mrs., Miss, or Mz. 74.133.117.36 and his or her pathetic efforts to terrify me with threats of action by Wikipedia against me.  I rather doubt that the Wikipedia referees are going to give "74" much credence.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 10:18:59 AM »

I have moved the posts related to Wikipedia to the Chatterbox.

For the record, let me state in no uncertain terms that I am shocked--shocked!--at the thought of any Wikipedia editor using a Wikipedia article to make any website other than Wikipedia better known.

I blush at the thought.   ::)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org