Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P40-B Warhawk returns to US  (Read 9061 times)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
P40-B Warhawk returns to US
« on: December 07, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
Re: P40-B Warhawk returns to US
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 04:00:04 PM »

*pinkie claps* I'm glad it's coming home to the USA, but this does give me pause: 1) It is cobbled together from a crashed P-40B (the one that was at Wheeler Field) and 2 other P-40s. I wonder how much of the "Pearl Harbor P-40B" the resultant aircraft really contains, and 2) the CollingsFoundation flies its aircraft. Is that bad in and of itself? No. Is it questionable when the aircraft is extremely rare or the last one left? To me, Yes.

LTM, who tries to keep his various bits in order,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 08:52:41 PM »

Monty, if the aircraft is airworthy and flyable, it should be flown. Otherwise it will decay and become a hazard. There's no half-way position, like, say, being halfway pregnant.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 02:52:17 AM »

Monty, if the aircraft is airworthy and flyable, it should be flown. Otherwise it will decay and become a hazard. There's no half-way position, like, say, being halfway pregnant.

Since this is a rare model of the P-40 and the US Air Force Museum does not appear to have one, I sure hope it doesn't become the object of a lawsuit over ownership of the aircraft like this one did.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 09:05:40 AM »

It's the government, Mr. Herndon, so anything is possible. Common sense need not apply.

Which brings up the point I raised above. I realize that there are two schools of thought on older aircraft: 1) Airplanes are meant to fly so fly 'em until the FAA says no, and 2) Airplanes belong in museums so they will last forever and future generations can see them.

While I partially agree with point 1, something that I believe needs to be factored into the fly/not fly decision is the rarity of the aircraft in question. If it's the only intact example, one good way to make it the only unintact example is to keep flying it. Airplanes are mechanical things. Mechanical things break all the time; when old mechanical things break, the results are usually catastrophic. And - Aircraft (at least the ones I'm talking about) have humans flying them. Humans make mistakes, all the time.

The reward of seeing a vintage aircraft fly should be balanced against its degree of irreplaceability. My 2 cents.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 08:14:24 AM by Monty Fowler »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org