Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amelia and early accidents  (Read 15122 times)

John Klier

• TIGHAR member
Re: Amelia and early accidents
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 07:36:51 AM »

Found it in our club database. It was April 10th 2004.

http://www.lonestar-mvpa.org/events/2004/04_burnet.htm

In the picture list on the bottom left. Caption says it was a Wildcat. Can't see much in the photo but can see what appears to be the Wildcats type of landing gear.

In regards to Charlie Hillard. It's always sad to lose an old warbird but when the pilot is lost as well it's makes the warbird loss seem trivial.

A few years back I was volunteering at an airshow in Burnet Texas. About an hour before the show was to start a late spring cool front blew in. The vendors tents were blowing all over the place and a lot of aircraft that were still en route opted to turn around and go home. There was a F4F Wildcat (or maybe a Hellcat) that was close and the piloted decided to come in. He ground looped at the end of the runway and ended up flipping the aircraft over. The damage didn't appear too bad. I've never heard what happened with that aircraft. I assume it was fixed back up.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org