Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: George Palmer Putnam Jr Dies  (Read 12040 times)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
George Palmer Putnam Jr Dies
« on: September 02, 2013, 01:05:48 AM »

THWWallace

• T1
Re: George Palmer Putnam Jr Dies
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 04:33:31 AM »

"In March 2012, investigators said they found what might be the aircraft’s landing gear protruding from waters off a remote island of Nikumaroro.

Stumbled across this line in the article.  Makes it sound like Tighar actually found the landing gear last year.  I can almost see the jumbled mass of metal and rubber sitting in a corner of Ric's office.  Why can't reporters ever get it right?
~Travis

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 11:30:35 AM »

It was my privilege to know George.  He was TIGHAR member #0741, joining in 1989 and renewing faithfully for the next 23 years.  Despite the impression created by the woefully inaccurate obituary, George Putnam was a generous supporter of TIGHAR's work. He was very much a traditionalist and we corresponded by hand-written notes as was his preference.  I never trumpeted our relationship.  It would have been an abuse of his privacy and, as Paul McCartney once told me, it's tacky to drop names.  ::)

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 01:23:05 PM »

It was my privilege to know George.  He was TIGHAR member #0741, joining in 1989 and renewing faithfully for the next 23 years.  Despite the impression created by the woefully inaccurate obituary, George Putnam was a generous supporter of TIGHAR's work. He was very much a traditionalist and we corresponded by hand-written notes as was his preference.  I never trumpeted our relationship.  It would have been an abuse of his privacy and, as Paul McCartney once told me, it's tacky to drop names.  ::)

Thanks Ric. That's very interesting. A bit "tacky" perhaps, but very interesting. 8)
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Stacy Galloway

• T2
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 09:06:17 PM »

He sounds like he was a wonderful gentleman. My prayers and sympathies to his family during this sad time.
TIGHAR #4284R

Wayne O'Neill

• T1
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 04:23:17 AM »

It would have been an abuse of his privacy and, as Paul McCartney once told me, it's tacky to drop names.  ::)

Good to see that you've still got your sense of humour despite the current trials and tribulations...

Gus Rubio

• T2
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 08:05:40 AM »

Wow, Ric, that's a great story.  Glad to hear GPP Jr. was on board with TIGHAR.  Not asking you to reveal anything you may know, but I wonder if he was close to AE, and if the Earhart Project may have ben a source of comfort for him.  (To Ameliapedia!)

Seeing the picures in the OP's link is sobering- a young boy in one, an old man in the other.  And Amelia missed all that time with him, so very sad.  I do hope they're together now in a place more remote, but more pleasant, than Gardner Island.

BTW, love the joke, Ric!   :P

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 08:20:53 AM »

Not asking you to reveal anything you may know, but I wonder if he was close to AE, and if the Earhart Project may have ben a source of comfort for him.

He was a little kid.  Both he and his older brother David seem to have liked their father's new wife.  George appreciated that the Earhart Project is a serious science-based effort to solve the mystery.

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 02:51:47 PM »

Agree Wayne!  Love Ric's sense of humor.  And as you say, especially with all that is going on. 
Great Story!  And really nice to know he was a supporter and a believer. 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org