Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: 1938 Photos Study Group  (Read 185944 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
1938 Photos Study Group
« on: July 29, 2013, 09:38:29 AM »

On Friday, July 26, the TIGHAR Board of Directors met with Jeff Glickman to discuss how we want to proceed with analysis of the recently-acquired 1938 aerial photos.  As you know, we have made hi-res jpegs of the images available to any TIGHAResearcher via Flickr.  Quite a number of people have requested and received access to the TIGHAR Flickr account.

The hi-res jpegs are a way to make the imagery widely available in keeping with the RNZAF restriction that they be used only for TIGHAR research.  As Jeff explained to us, the problem with jpeg images is that the process of converting them from the original format to jpeg greatly reduces the amount of information in the image and introduces distortions and "artifacts" that aren't really there.  In other words, to present the images in a format everyone can read we have to significantly degrade their quality. No way around it.

Accordingly, the TIGHAR Board has tasked me with recruiting a "Study Group" of TIGHAResearcher volunteers from EPAC and the TIGHAR Forum who have the hardware and software necessary to work with the 16bit TIFF files that preserve the quality of the images we brought back from New Zealand.  The objective of the Study Group will be to call my attention to features and objects of interest that may warrant Jeff's closer inspection and processing with special techniques. Jeff will provide me with the specs for what volunteers will need to have to participate in the Study Group and some guidelines that will help Study Group members avoid some pitfalls in processing the images (for example, using the Brightness and Contrast tool in Photoshop automatically degrades the image from 16bit to 8bit - not good).

As soon as I have the specs from Jeff I'll publish them here so that prospective Study Group participants can see if they have what's needed to help do a detailed examination of the photos.  We'll set up the Study Group as a separate email list.

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
Re: 1938 Photos Study Group
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 11:35:48 AM »

Ric, I have tried to upload TIFF files to the forum before without success, so have had to convert to JPEG format, not so good. Is there a limit on the size? I have the software programs for handling TIFF files and, most of the images and files for Tighar on my pc's are in this format. Unfortunately a lot of the detail  and information is lost when converting to JPEG format. Am I doing something wrong?
This must be the place

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 11:38:35 AM »

Am I doing something wrong?

I don't think so.  Apparently the Forum software can only handle jpegs.

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 12:11:57 PM »

Ok guys, that explains a lot then. Shame though, JPEG format is ok for everyday media but for work they are pretty dire. Software imaging using TIFF format gives you more scientific applications as opposed to air brushing models blemishes out ;)
This must be the place

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 12:29:06 PM »

Here are the specs Jeff Glickman recommends for Study Group participants. 

IBM PC Compatible with Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (Microsoft NT 6.1.7601.17514), or Apple Macintosh with Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.9
Intel i7 or XEON, 4 cores or higher, 3.2 GHz or higher
GPGPU 900MHz graphic clock or greater; 2GB Memory or greater; 750 cores or greater;
1920 x 1024 minimum display resolution (2560 x 1440 resolution display preferred)
Color calibrated display
16GB of RAM or higher
1TB of hard disk or solid state storage or higher
Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 (12.1) or higher; or Adobe Photoshop CS 5.1 Extended (12.0.4) of higher; or Apple Aperture 3.4.5
Nikon View NX 2 Version 2.7.6
16-bit TIFF support required

Export the Nikon NEF file using View NX 2 as TIFF 16 bit file
All processing must be done as 16 bits per pixel
Do not use tools such as adjust brightness and contrast

(Note: Nikon View NX 2 is a free download but it won't be needed if we start from 16bit TIFFs rather than the original NEF raw images.)

Joshua Doremire

• T1
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 04:35:47 PM »

I have asked if the RAW format images can be made available to researchers via mailed DVD etc. I don't know if that would be available or just TIFF? I understand there would be use restrictions that should be hashed out as well. 
TIGHAR # 4274R

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 06:26:16 PM »

Has consideration been given to using an FTP site for file transfer?  I have the necessary hardware and software as well as an unlimited Internet data plan.  I work with Nikon RAW format images routinely as I am an avid photographer.  I use the same photo hardware Jeff used to create the images. Nikon D800. I use FTP sites to transfer these large files routinely.
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 06:37:53 PM »

I have asked if the RAW format images can be made available to researchers via mailed DVD etc. I don't know if that would be available or just TIFF? I understand there would be use restrictions that should be hashed out as well.

I'll put the NEF (raw) files in the DropBox folder along with the TIFFs.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 06:42:15 PM »

Has consideration been given to using an FTP site for file transfer?

TIGHAR doesn't have an FTP.  Services like DropBox are easier and better.

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 07:10:32 PM »

Dropbox is fine. While FTP is an actual defined "File Transfer Protocol", Dropbox and others in this genre of file transfer capability, essentially provide the same capability that TIGHAR needs in this instance. I was unaware TIGHAR had a subscribed Dropbox account.
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 07:20:17 PM »

I'll load the NEF files into the Dropbox folder and then send an invitation to both Joshua and Irv.  Anybody else have the wherewithal and the desire to be in the Study Group?

Friend Weller

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 07:45:43 PM »

Anybody else have the wherewithal and the desire to be in the Study Group?

Ric,

Desire?  Brimming with an excess of it.  The wherewithal?  "No doubt about it, Rocky - I gotta get myself a new hat!"   :'(

Friend
Friend
TIGHAR 3086V

Bob Harmon

• T1
  • TIGHAR #4294R
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 07:54:54 PM »

Would like to be a part of the Study Group as well. Thanks for the opportunity.

Bob in Cedar Rapids
TIGHAR #4294R

Shannon Council

• TIGHAR member
  • Member #3294R
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 07:56:34 PM »

I have the hardware and software as recommended; please sign me up. Whether I have the eyesight remains to be seen ...
I drank the TIGHAR Cool-Aid.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 08:27:45 PM »

"No doubt about it, Rocky - I gotta get myself a new hat!"

Been a while since I heard that one.  You're dating yourself.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org