Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will the Arundel structures show up in the New Zealand photos?  (Read 25110 times)

Karen Hoy

• TIGHAR member
Re: Will the Arundel structures show up in the New Zealand photos?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 10:58:50 AM »

According to the Ameliapedia article on Nutiran:

Nutiran was the site of John Arundel's failed coconut planting project in the 1890s, which left ruins of structures with corrugated iron roofs noted by both survivors of the Norwich City wreck in the late 1920s and early survey teams about ten years later.

http://tighar.org/wiki/Nutiran

Karen

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 11:19:14 AM »

According to the Ameliapedia article on Nutiran:

Nutiran was the site of John Arundel's failed coconut planting project in the 1890s, which left ruins of structures with corrugated iron roofs noted by both survivors of the Norwich City wreck in the late 1920s and early survey teams about ten years later.

http://tighar.org/wiki/Nutiran

Karen

Thanks Karen. The NC survivors were in November 1929, but i wonder which "early survey teams?" Marty was referring to.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 12:01:05 PM »

We see what are probably wells dug by the Maude/Bevington expedition and we see one of the Norwich City lifeboats, but no Arundel structures.  As I recall, somebody saw them "in a state of collapse." Who was that? The Norwich City survivors?  Bevington?  The NZ surveyors?

Report of J. Thomas, First Officer, SS Norwich City

"Near the palms we found two disused galvanised roofed huts and a large water tank, all of which were in a state of collapse, but which indicated to us that the island had at one time been inhabited, most probably with a view of growing coconuts, but that this had not proved to be very profitable and had been abandoned."

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »

"Near the palms we found two disused galvanised roofed huts and a large water tank, all of which were in a state of collapse, but which indicated to us that the island had at one time been inhabited, most probably with a view of growing coconuts, but that this had not proved to be very profitable and had been abandoned."

Is 1929 then the last time anyone mentioned the Arundel buildings? Maude and Bevington were around "the palms" but I don't think they made any mention of seeing the ruins of old buildings. 

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 12:28:13 PM »

We see what are probably wells dug by the Maude/Bevington expedition and we see one of the Norwich City lifeboats, but no Arundel structures.  As I recall, somebody saw them "in a state of collapse." Who was that? The Norwich City survivors?  Bevington?  The NZ surveyors?

Report of J. Thomas, First Officer, SS Norwich City

So, the survivors of the Norwich City in 1929 saw enough to deduce that the disused huts were from a probably coconut growing attempt. I wonder if they could discern a human hand in the pattern of the coco palms? Reading Bevington's diary, I found no mention of huts, but there is mention of the coco palms. But did they see a pattern to the coco palms in October 1937? Did Lambrecht and his fellow pilots see a pattern in July 1937? Could this be the origin of Lambrecht's famous "signs of recent habitation" remark?

If no trace of the Arundel huts can be seen in the NZ photos, I next wonder if there can be seen a discernible pattern to the coco palms that would suggest past (recent or otherwise) human habitation to pilots flying over?
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 03:51:34 PM »

I haven't been able to pin down anything from the NZ survey, despite the claim I seem to have made in the wiki.  :(

In the thread, "Speculating about Camp Zero," Andrew McKenna said some stuff had been found:

"Talking with a few of the Nikumaroro Veterans, the impression has been that the Arundel buildings were farther up the Nutiran shoreline.  We found the remains of some old structures just a bit south of the NC wreck, and inland about 50 meters - see the screen shot.  The assumption was that they could be the remains of the Arundel buildings based upon the building materials, but I don't think we've ever actually established that.  Could have been colonial era buildings, we just don't know for sure.

"This area is somewhat coincident with the NC survivors camp, and the NZ survey camp, so there is a lot of overlap it would seem.

"That doesn't rule out Arundel buildings down on the N side of the lagoon passage as Richie indicates.  I spent some time in that area and did not see anything that look like the remains of shacks, but we did see ruins further N."

Screen shot attached.

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 04:05:30 PM »

Ric posted a marked-up Kiwi-Niku map in this post.

Mark Pearce pointed out a beautifully redrawn version from Finding Amelia.

If the Arundel building was near coconuts, then this map perhaps points to where to look for it.

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 06:21:07 PM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org