Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: USCG LORAN Station 1944 -1946  (Read 15738 times)

Thyra Piper

• T1
USCG LORAN Station 1944 -1946
« on: July 16, 2013, 06:13:01 PM »

Has any attempt been made to find any Coastguard personnel that was stationed there?  It is possible a few are still alive.  My husband was stationed at two remote Loran stations - I was with him on one of them and I can testify that the guys found ingenious things to occupy their time.  I understand they were told on Gardner Is. not to fraternize with the natives, but the natives weren't told not to fraternize with them.  Isolated duty was a year at a time and it would be difficult, no matter what the rules, to contain the personnel in that small of area. 
Thyra Piper

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
Re: USCG LORAN Station 1944 -1946
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 08:08:18 PM »

Thyra, TIGHAR has made extensive efforts to find and interview the Coasties who manned the LORAN station during WWII.  Your question is best answered by reviewing this thread.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 08:11:50 PM »

Another piece of reading about the LORAN station is in the Ameliapedia.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Thyra Piper

• T1
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 08:27:45 PM »

Thank you for the reply - I did do a search before I replied or for that matter even joined, but I could not find that Thread - sorry, but this site is rather complicated and I didn't want to add to it.
Thyra Piper

Gary Vance

• TIGHAR member
  • "Virtual" member #4847
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 11:45:37 AM »

Not sure if this website has been noted in any of the Coast Guard Loran station posts, but it's very interesting and has some photos I haven't seen before.

http://www.loran-history.info/Gardner_Island/gardner.htm

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 07:56:09 PM »

Welcome, Gary. Glad you're digging into the history of Nikumaroro. Fascinating plethora of info about that tiny island!

Yes, that URL is shown in the Ameliapedia article USCG LORAN Station that was created over 7 years ago by Marty.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org