Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Makin Island  (Read 11549 times)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Makin Island
« on: July 07, 2013, 05:27:16 PM »

From Alana Wexler via e-mail:

I have been very fascinated by the Amelia Earhart disappearance case for years, and for some time now, I have been doing my own research and trying to see if I could dig up any clues or evidence myself. Recently, I went on GoogleEarth and was scanning through the Kiribati Islands, when I came upon the island Makin (or Makin Meang, its former name). Below are pictures of the island. As you zoom in on the island, in the northern region of the island there is a small patch of dirt. On that patch of dirt, there is a pair of track marks. It looks like it might've been plane tracks. If you follow with your eyes up the marks to almost a northeast area at the top of the island, you can see a dark, charred looking spot where it looks like somebody might've landed on in the past. That little spot then leads to the plane tracks.

Maybe it could be from Amelia Earhart's Electra plane? Or maybe it could be from a Japanese warcraft from the time of the attacks on Pearl Harbor? Or maybe it was just from the fighting of the Battle of Makin? Whatever this possibly is, I'm wondering if you guys might know what exactly this is.

Please note well: This is Alana's theory, not mine.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Doug Giese

• inactive
Re: Makin Island
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 06:46:16 PM »

Marty,

Based on the heavy use of the island I think any potential evidence of AE/FN has long been overwhelmed by civilization. The tracks in question look new and were probably made by the current residents.

Image 1: There are numerous roads, structures and an airfield. It looks like a number of the trees were cultivated (very regular pattern). The tracks in question are not entirely parallel.

Image 2 shows many houses at the upper West and in the center part of the island.

My guess is it could be (Wikipedia claims 33 islands), but finding evidence of the original landing is an extreme long shot. I've always wondered if they could have landed on some other island.

Good luck to Alana in her hunt!
------
Doug

Dave McDaniel

• T2
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 07:00:05 PM »

Part of a flood relief program possibly?

Cheers,
Dave

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 07:55:50 PM »

Based on the heavy use of the island I think any potential evidence of AE/FN has long been overwhelmed by civilization. The tracks in question look new and were probably made by the current residents.

Wikipedia's article on Makin Islands says that the population was 1,364 people in 2010.  If there were an Electra airframe at the end of the "tracks," I think they would have noticed it by now.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Doug Giese

• inactive
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 08:12:38 PM »

Marty,

Please tell Alana not to be discouraged and to keep up her investigations!
------
Doug

Gus Rubio

• T2
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 01:27:13 PM »

Nice detective work if nothing else.  There must be countlless fascinating things to see from above on these islands!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org