Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small dot in Lambrecht Photo possible flare sent by AE?  (Read 19350 times)

Gloria Walker Burger

• TIGHAR member
Re: Small dot in Lambrecht Photo possible flare sent by AE?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 12:06:53 PM »

Paul Parsons wrote:
the earlier orthochromatic films were sensitive to blue and maybe green light only. Thus features reflecting light at the blue/green end of the spectrum will appear "light", while features reflecting light at the yellow/red end of the spectrum will appear "dark". The later panchromatic films were sensitive to all light, and thus more closely matched the spectral sensitivity of the human eye. The switch from orthochromatic film to panchromatic film seemingly occurred between the 1920s and 1940s.

Monty, does this change anything??
Gloria
TIGHAR #3760

Gloria Walker Burger

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2013, 12:10:18 PM »

Monty, does this change anything??

I mean if AE sent up a "red" flare?
Gloria
TIGHAR #3760

Gloria Walker Burger

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2013, 12:50:05 PM »

Paul Parsons wrote in "1938 Aerial Photos" posting:
If the black and white film was orthochromatic then yes: red light will not affect the photographic emulsion and will thus appear dark on the resulting print.

This is so interesting! I wonder, though, if the dot is still too big to be a flare or a kite...We need Jeff Glickman to look at it and see whether it is an "artifact of the image process" or a real picture of something. And he is so busy...
Gloria
TIGHAR #3760

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2013, 06:42:37 PM »

I'm sorry, Gloria, but for me it doesn't. Maybe it IS a flare, but if it is, it's an awfully, awfully big one. Think Fourth of July "mortar" style fireworks, not something coming out of a Very pistol (which used shells not much bigger than a 12-gauge shotgun shell).

I am not a photo expert. Jeff Glickman is, and right now he has other things to devote his considerable attentions to. My suspicion is that the "dot" is nothing more than either a) A glitch in the developing process, b) Crud on the negative (ask me how I know after years in a newsroom darkroom) or c) A fault on the photographic paper (much less common but known to happen).

LTM, who lets things develop naturally,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 06:48:38 PM by Monty Fowler »

Gloria Walker Burger

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2013, 07:29:54 PM »

Thanks, Monty. I'm starting to think your suspicions may be right (notice I do just say 'may').

By the way, love your "sign-offs"!
Gloria
TIGHAR #3760

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org