Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22   Go Down

Author Topic: 1938 Aerial Photos  (Read 386422 times)

Patrick Dickson

• TIGHAR member
  • TIGHAR Member #3168A
Re: 1938 Aerial Photos
« Reply #270 on: October 09, 2013, 08:42:12 AM »

what do you think?

I think you're a troll who is simply trying to waste our time with dumb postings. I have put you under moderation.

Ric,

I like your style....You must be guilty of watching at least one Clint Eastwood movie.     :)

Pat

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #271 on: October 09, 2013, 04:06:10 PM »

what do you think?

I think you're a troll who is simply trying to waste our time with dumb postings. I have put you under moderation.

When someone's under moderation do we educate (as one of TIGHARS aims) them to show them where they are going wrong?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #272 on: October 09, 2013, 04:59:24 PM »

When someone's under moderation do we educate (as one of TIGHARS aims) them to show them where they are going wrong?

We try to educate them BEFORE we put them under moderation - as we did with Mr. Germann. 

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #273 on: October 09, 2013, 06:13:28 PM »

Hello Ric,

I was looking at your topic starter , your first entry shows three pictures; the one titled western shore jig , it is the one with the Norwich City ship , anyway ....I know people have been known to see things that are not there if you look to long , but what caught my eye right away was in the reef just to the left of the wreck If you blow up the picture it looks to me like SOS  , actually SCS but maybe faint outline of an O , what do you think?

I apparently can see a lot of things other folks can't see. But in this section of Photo #43, I can see neither "SOS" nor "SCS". Can you help me out by pointing to it with an arrow?
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #274 on: October 09, 2013, 06:34:57 PM »

All,
Look at the latest "TIGHAR NEWS".  Holy cow TIGHAR is getting serious!  Count me in on the contribution just after the first of the year - I think I've tapped out the non-profit deduction for 2013.
Ted Campbell

Doug Giese

• inactive
« Reply #275 on: October 09, 2013, 06:42:21 PM »

Can you help me out by pointing to it with an arrow?

Tim,

I drew a box around what I think he was talking about.
------
Doug

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #276 on: October 09, 2013, 06:57:12 PM »

Thanks, Doug. Way to the left of where I imagined. But the size...I don't think even Sasquatch could have made letters this big in the allotted time.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #277 on: October 09, 2013, 07:27:29 PM »

Would they expect rescuers from the sea or the air?  Scratching giant letters is suggesting they thought air rescue likely. "If" those are letters.
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

James Champion

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #278 on: October 09, 2013, 08:58:35 PM »

Thanks, Doug. Way to the left of where I imagined. But the size...I don't think even Sasquatch could have made letters this big in the allotted time.

But, if the tides pushed the Electra around on the reef for a few days before an outgoing tide took it over the edge, could the plane have done enough damage to the coral that the results could still be seen over a year later?

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #279 on: October 09, 2013, 09:10:58 PM »

All,
Look at the latest "TIGHAR NEWS".  Holy cow TIGHAR is getting serious!  Count me in on the contribution just after the first of the year - I think I've tapped out the non-profit deduction for 2013.
Ted Campbell

Thanks for the notice Ted. Wow! That is huge and exciting. Submarines! and in 2014!
Count me in to contribute what I can too.
Go TIGHAR!
3971R

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #280 on: October 22, 2013, 09:04:13 AM »

Ric,
Would you or one of the aerial photo group give us a short summery of what you are or are not finding as you study the photos.
Ted Campbell

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #281 on: October 22, 2013, 12:35:41 PM »

But, if the tides pushed the Electra around on the reef for a few days before an outgoing tide took it over the edge, could the plane have done enough damage to the coral that the results could still be seen over a year later?

That's an interesting question. I'm not up on coral reef wear patterns and such, but I'm guessing that the angle and altitude of the relevant photos would have a bearing on what might/might not have been scraped on the fringing reef. Directly overhead and from a medium altitude, any such scratchs or wear on the reef might be visible. From a lower oblique angle, which seems to be how most of the 1938 photos were taken, probably not due to reflections of the water and such.

LTM, who likes to imagine images,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #282 on: October 22, 2013, 12:50:05 PM »

With regard to reef visibility, I find it very interesting that it is seemingly possible to see what appears to be to a good depth well off shore south of the Norwich City, off Noriti and Tekibeia.  I would presume a fortuitous coincidence of just the right sun and viewing angles? Would that such conditions were north of the wreck as well.   

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #283 on: January 02, 2014, 07:48:33 PM »

Ric,
What's the latest on the photo project?
Ted Campbell

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #284 on: January 08, 2014, 08:05:29 PM »

Ric,
What's the latest on the photo project?
Ted Campbell

Not much to report.  After a great deal of detailed examination by our dedicated researchers the 1938 photos show us an island that exhibits very little evidence of human contact.  What man-made features are evident may be attributable to either the late 19th century Arundel planting operations or the 1937 Maude/Bevington visit.  The "trails" that seemed to be present in the one image of the Seven Site area that we've had for several years are not apparent in these higher resolution images.

There do seem to be some shapes and marks in the bush on the western end of the island just north of the shipwreck that could be man-made.  To our knowledge neither Arundel's workers nor the Maude/Bevington party were ever in that area and it's in the general locale where we've reasoned that Earhart and Noonan may have set up their first onshore camp (aka Camp Zero).  Naturally, navigating as best we can to that spot will be one of the tasks for the Niku VIII team.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org