Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: 1938 Aerial Photos  (Read 386388 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: 1938 Aerial Photos
« Reply #195 on: July 21, 2013, 05:10:32 PM »

Based on above reports, it looks like departed Auckland 11/7/38 for Suva and other Pacific islands, departed Niku 12/1/38 for Suva, departed Nukualofa 12/9/38 for Auckland, arrived Auckland 12/12/38 and was docked till 3/30/39.  Haven't found info on other ports along the way.

That's what I needed to know.  Good work. Thanks.

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #196 on: July 22, 2013, 08:16:36 AM »

Research Needed:  In writing up when and how these aerial photos were taken I need to confirm that December 1, 1938 was the ONLY day HMNZS Leander was at Gardner Island.  We know Leander was at Christmas island immediately before coming to Gardner and that she went back to Suva (Fiji) upon departing Gardner.  Can we establish where she went from there?
In the Felicity Caird thesis from Canterbury University in Christchurch that I posted about recently, one of her cited documents is from general correspondence of Air Vice-Marshal Cochrane with the title of "AIR 1 103/2/6 Surveys and Mapping: Surveys of Pacific Islands: HMS Leander, (G/C Cochrane) 1938." In her narrative, she had made a statement about how strapped Leander was for time: "HMS Leander was on such a tight schedule during the expedition that she was only able to visit each island long enough to disembark a survey party and stores." The islands she named were Hull, Gardner, and Christmas. In this 1987 thesis, Caird states that this document was at the National Archives in Wellington.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #197 on: July 22, 2013, 08:52:32 PM »

The research bulletin describing the 1938 photos is now up on the TIGHAR website.  See Lost and Found.

You'll see that TIGHAR members at the TIGHAResearcher level and above can request access to hi-res JPEGS of the photos by sending an email to Pat (the President of TIGHAR, Website Designer, Publications Art Director, member Services Manager, my wife, and the brains behind the whole she-bang). Pat will reply with an invitation to join TIGHAR's Flickr account where you can view and, if you wish, download the photos.  It's okay to post screen captures of things you see (or think you see) on the forum but you can't just spread the photos around willy-nilly.  If you want your own set of photos but don't want to join TIGHAR you can order scans from the museum.

One other thing.  We have a TIGHAR Board of Directors meeting that will take us out of town and keep us pretty busy for the rest of this week so please be patient.  Pat will respond respond to your request as soon as possible.  Thanks.

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #198 on: July 22, 2013, 10:33:43 PM »

Hey Ric...Its nice to know that the winds of change are finally happening for you. You deserve a break like this and this is truly quite the break TIGHAR needs to solve this mystery. Anyway I read the LOST and FOUND article just awhile ago and found it very interesting. As I was looking at the pictures of the island...The very first one. I noticed something very interesting. I don't know if you  and Jeff saw this...but was puzzled by its shape. So wanted you, Jeff, Richie, and all other forum members to take a glance at this and tell me what it is. Thanks!!!!

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #199 on: July 23, 2013, 06:38:19 AM »

I don't know if you  and Jeff saw this...but was puzzled by its shape. So wanted you, Jeff, Richie, and all other forum members to take a glance at this and tell me what it is.

I'm not sure what that is.  It's probably natural.  Possibly something from the shipwreck.  But it's way too big to be anything associated with the airplane.

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #200 on: July 23, 2013, 06:56:24 AM »

The circled object on the beach has a similar shape to a lifeboat, possibly from the NC.

Had the survey team come ashore at the time the photos were taken?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #201 on: July 23, 2013, 07:08:17 AM »

Had the survey team come ashore at the time the photos were taken?

No.  They were standing off, waiting for Leander to come around and help with the unloading.

Attached is a different view of the same area.  (Nice detail huh?) The stuff on the reef is Norwich City debris.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #202 on: July 23, 2013, 07:15:12 AM »

The circled object on the beach has a similar shape to a lifeboat, possibly from the NC.

Here's a really tight shot of the object.  Hard to say.  It only looks like this in the one view.

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #203 on: July 23, 2013, 07:57:02 AM »

No, that's the largest violin I have ever seen!! 
Great quality to these pics!  This has to be exciting. 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #204 on: July 23, 2013, 08:27:45 AM »

Here's a really tight shot of the object.  Hard to say.  It only looks like this in the one view.

I think it's quite exciting that there's the possibility for corroboration among these fotos.

Alex Fox

• T1
« Reply #205 on: July 23, 2013, 09:48:31 AM »

Haha, yeah it's either a violin or a gigantic pile of toilet paper.  Time for a press release.

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #206 on: July 23, 2013, 10:00:58 AM »

There is a picture of the lifeboat that has a sign next to it. I wonder if this sign is one of the two noted on the survey map and that can determine where to look for the lifeboat. Both signs or markers are close to shore a little south of the Norwich City.
It's hard to read the sign next to the lifeboat though. Note the bushes next to the boat. It must be up the slope a bit
In the news report of TIGHAR's NZ visit, the picture shown in it of the Norwich City was taken from the water.
Ric, were other photos besides the aerials copied while there?

3971R

« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 10:26:13 AM by Greg Daspit »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #207 on: July 23, 2013, 10:32:06 AM »

There is a picture of the lifeboat that has a sign next to it. I wonder if this sign is one of the two noted on the survey map and that can determine where to look for the lifeboat. Both signs or markers are close to shore a little south of the Norwich City.

This object is further north than either of the notice boards shown on the NZ survey map.  The notice board that was put up by the lifeboat is the one left by the NZ survey. (The other notice board was put up by Maude and Bevington in 1937.) The notice board by the lifeboat was near the NZ campsite south of a point directly ashore from the shipwreck and, of course, wasn't there yet when the photo was taken.  So if the object is a lifeboat it's not the one by the notice board.  Also, I would say that if it's a lifeboat it's inverted.

In the news report of TIGHAR's NZ visit, the picture shown in it of the Norwich City was taken from the water.
Ric, were other photos besides the aerials copied while there?

There were just a couple of shots taken from the Walrus after it landed.  We used one of them for the TV spot because it was a good illustration of how much detail we could get.

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #208 on: July 23, 2013, 10:39:27 AM »

These photos really are a great find!!  Is it known when this drought took place on the island?  Im wondering if the photos are representative of the view AE would have had when she first came upon the island?

If yes, and she could see as much as we can, then she must have been sorely disappointed to find the island uninhabitated and without much drinking water.
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #209 on: July 23, 2013, 10:44:32 AM »

Is it known when this drought took place on the island?  Im wondering if the photos are representative of the view AE would have had when she first came upon the island?

The island was still in good shape when Maude and Bevington were there in October 1937. When Maude returned to drop off the first PISS work party in December 1938 he was shocked to find the island desiccated by drought.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org