Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: 1938 Aerial Photos  (Read 386432 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: 1938 Aerial Photos
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2013, 10:21:38 AM »

These are the dates that Jeff will take photos of the negatives, etc.   I would like to know when he will be able to analyze the data he gets from this trip............

Jeff is as excited about this as we are.  I'm sure he'll do all he can as soon as he can but he won't rush to judgement.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2013, 10:27:27 AM »

Ric, Do you happen to know the specific time period, or even the time of day, on 1 December 1938 when the Supermarine Walrus made its overflight of Gardner Island?  I've looked in the TIGHAR research documents and in Ameliapedia but could not find this specific information.  The report of the New Zealand survey expedition mentions HMS LEANDER but does not seem to have any specifics about flight(s) by its floatplane(s).  I guess the deck logs of the LEANDER would have this information, but apparently you do not have these logs.

No, we don't have Leander's logs but Bob Brandenburg has analyzed the shadows.

"The Norwich City stack shadow angle in the NZ aerial photo is 76° relative to the ship's keel orientation, 081° T, giving the sun azimuth as 157° T.

The USNO sun altitude/azimuth table for the day has the sun at 157° at 1155 local time (GMT-11).

This is a ballpark estimate that can be refined if we get better shadow angles in the high-res images."

Jeff Palshook

• T2
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2013, 04:00:43 AM »

Thanks, Ric.  Measuring shadows was going to my next approach to examine to estimate the time of day.  Now I don't have to, as you and Bob Brandenburg have of course already done this.

Jeff P.

Joshua Doremire

• T1
TIGHAR # 4274R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2013, 10:06:10 AM »

In the news today.
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/06/27/photos-could-prove-amelia-earhart-lived-as-castaway/?intcmp=features

Yep, you can always count on Fox to get it wrong.

Did you read the article? What exactly did they get wrong? Unless I read something incorrectly or glossed over a small detail, it pretty much accurately synopsizes the Earhart project. (NB, I didn't examine the photo links beyond determining they were to Discovery.com sites).   

Joshua Doremire

• T1
« Reply #111 on: June 27, 2013, 10:18:58 AM »

In the news today.
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/06/27/photos-could-prove-amelia-earhart-lived-as-castaway/?intcmp=features

Yep, you can always count on Fox to get it wrong.

Good press, bad press, inaccurate press... The only thing that matters is they spelled your name correctly. And in this case TIGHAR as well. Interested parties can come to this site for accurate information. You can also issue corrections to them that can result in another article for more free press...  ;D 

Fox News brought TIGHAR to my attention.
TIGHAR # 4274R

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 10:21:04 AM by Joshua Doremire »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #112 on: June 27, 2013, 10:52:22 AM »

What exactly did they get wrong? Unless I read something incorrectly or glossed over a small detail, it pretty much accurately synopsizes the Earhart project.

The article is fine.  They cribbed the DiscoveryNews article word for word - including the headline.  It's the headline I have a problem with. In this case, DiscoveryNews got it wrong too.

Saying that these photos could prove that AE was a castaway is more than a stretch.  What could we possibly see in aerial photos that would conclusively establish the identity of a castaway(a castaway who was almost certainly dead by then)? 

The reporter who wrote the article for DiscoveryNews is an archaeologist herself and let's me review what she writes for accuracy before it's published, but unfortunately - as if often the case - the journalist who writes the copy doesn't get to write the headline.  That's the prerogative of an editor and editors sometimes write the headlines in such a way as to attract the largest possible readership - and sometimes accuracy suffers.  Last month a Fox story about the anomaly - again a straight copy of an accurate DiscoveryNews piece - carried a headline that said we "believe" the anomaly is Earhart's airplane.

It's not worth getting excited about.  It's a fact of life when the media covers your work.  "Don't believe everything you read in the papers." is an OLD expression.

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #113 on: June 27, 2013, 11:10:08 AM »

What exactly did they get wrong? Unless I read something incorrectly or glossed over a small detail, it pretty much accurately synopsizes the Earhart project.

The article is fine.  They cribbed the DiscoveryNews article word for word - including the headline.  It's the headline I have a problem with. In this case, DiscoveryNews got it wrong too.

So the purpose of saying "you can always count on Fox to get it wrong" was?

It's not worth getting excited about.  It's a fact of life when the media covers your work.  "Don't believe everything you read in the papers." is an OLD expression.

Perhaps not, but words mean things and how you say them means even more. Some how this seemingly knee-jerk reaction gives me pause.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #114 on: June 27, 2013, 11:39:30 AM »

Some how this seemingly knee-jerk reaction gives me pause.

My admittedly knee-jerk reaction to Fox News is based on long experience and, BTW, has nothing to do with politics.  Over the years I have been interviewed by every major news organization I can think of and I'm no stranger to being misquoted and having TIGHAR's work misrepresented. Fox, whether TV or on line, screws it up more consistently than any media outlet, bar none.  I once did a live interview on Fox & Friends.  Never again. They were so unprepared and their questions so profoundly stupid that the whole thing was an embarrassment. Last year, after the event at the State Department, Fox was the only media outlet among the dozens that covered the story who reported that the U.S. Government was giving TIGHAR financial support.  I was deluged with emails from Fox viewers who were rightly outraged that taxpayer dollars would be spent in such a way.  I had to explain to them that it simply was not true, even though they had heard it on Fox News.

So, yeah, when I see our work mis-reported again on Fox News my knee tends to jerk.  In this case, the sin was one of omission rather than commission.  Nobody read the article to see whether the Discovery News headline was an accurate representation of what was in the copy.  Maybe that's expecting too much.

Mark Appel

• T3
« Reply #115 on: June 27, 2013, 12:59:30 PM »

As a communications and PR professional, I can support Ric and his knees. The only way to realistically deal with the press is to accept the fact they will inevitably get stuff wrong. That's reality. Most of the time, the best and only course of action is to shrug it off. FOX News has the unfortunate reputation of getting it wrong perhaps more often than most and having a proclivity for the sensational. That's also not a political statement; it's a professional assessment and at the end of the day really not a big deal...
"Credibility is Everything"

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:33:55 PM by Mark Appel »

Dave Potratz

• T2
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2013, 03:06:07 PM »

There's really only ONE place to go for AE accuracy. . . and that's right HERE!

LTM

matt john barth

• T1
« Reply #117 on: June 28, 2013, 09:22:33 AM »

Thanks Mr. Campbell, for you donation. I was sitting here trying to think of a way to come up with some spare cash for them. Not that much but still was trying to help out, with more than I can donate myself. You're awesome. This will be remembered. Maybe they will be able to see the airplane wing and some of the wreckage Emily Sikulu saw as a young girl on the island. Now wouldn't that be cool.
Matthew J. Barth

Dave Ross Wilkinson

• T1
« Reply #118 on: June 28, 2013, 04:46:44 PM »

Dave Alan, in post #82, raised the issue of Jeff's planned use  of the 4x5 Negflat carrier to hold the 5x5 negatives.  It would scratch the emulsion off the "4" side" of the 5"x5" negative.   

No doubt Jeff has figured out an alternative, and I wonder if he would mind sharing it with the group.

Thanks
Dave Wilkinson

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #119 on: June 28, 2013, 05:55:07 PM »

Dave Alan, in post #82, raised the issue of Jeff's planned use  of the 4x5 Negflat carrier to hold the 5x5 negatives.  It would scratch the emulsion off the "4" side" of the 5"x5" negative.   

No doubt Jeff has figured out an alternative, and I wonder if he would mind sharing it with the group.

Thanks

I believe Jeff would have similar equipment if not better than these standard accessory's  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35mm-Glass-Negative-Carrier-LPL-Saunders-LPL-and-Omega-LPL-4x5-Enlargers-/380608972450?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item589e1006a2
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org