Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: 1938 Aerial Photos  (Read 386474 times)

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
Re: 1938 Aerial Photos
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2013, 03:18:21 PM »

Ric
Great Find  Keep up the great work.  It IS down there.

Mr Campbell
Your generosity exceeds any words I could conjure up to THANK YOU.
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2013, 03:25:30 PM »

Hi All

I have attached unedited image of reef, showing dark shadow were i mentioned earlier in thread i believe anomaly is.
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2013, 03:50:42 PM »

Let's look for this Norwich City lifeboat, probably just off the beach. It was photographed by the NZ expedition and its location may give us a clue to the Norwich City shelter site. 
Rick J

The lifeboat and NC shelter would be a great thing to look for. In addition to the obvious Camp Zero and the Seven site, and looking for wreckage on the reef, beaches and lagoon. Also the Norwich City structure itself. Its condition for possible habitation and if there are any markings on it. Other points to look for are the farthest north corner where a castaway may go to get a high and wide angle to lookout from.
If some of the NZ survey photographs are near duplicates, that may actually be helpful in separating some of the wave reflections and scratches from real objects.  This is a great discovery and I am grateful for the quick response in investigating it.
Many thanks to Ted Campbell
3971R

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 05:45:40 PM by G. Daspit »

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2013, 04:23:34 PM »

Ric,

When you next talk to Jeff re the New Zealand prints would you ask him if it is possible to overlap photos so we can get a 3D (stereoscopic) view of some of the areas on the island.  This would really be neat!

Ted Campbell

Ricker H Jones

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2013, 05:12:53 PM »

There is something light colored and looking man made near the shore?  The other dark dot is dirt maybe?

In this same photo is an unusual "V" shape just offshore from surf line.  Something underwater, or surf breaking over straight objects?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2013, 06:07:59 PM »

When you next talk to Jeff re the New Zealand prints would you ask him if it is possible to overlap photos so we can get a 3D (stereoscopic) view of some of the areas on the island.  This would really be neat!

To get a stereoscopic effect you have to overlap two photos that were taken from the same angle but from slightly different positions.  It almost always has to be done intentionally. We don't have that with these photos.  Several show the same feature - for example, the southern lagoon passage - but from various angles (looking west, looking south, looking east).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 06:14:30 PM by Ric Gillespie »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2013, 06:20:45 PM »

I wrote to Jeff Glickman and raised the Forum's concern about shooting uncompressed TIFFs rather than NEF (aka RAW).  Turns out he misspoke. He meant to say NEF. 

I should have queried him as soon as the question was raised instead of trying to be a firewall.  It would have saved everyone a lot of unnecessary angst.  My bad.

We now return to our regularly scheduled speculations.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 08:22:00 PM by Ric Gillespie »

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2013, 08:00:08 PM »

I posted this pic' a while back and, it's still my favourite mirage from this particular 1938 photograph. I like it because it resembles a beached whale, two big fins at the back of the body and, sadly just the left flipper is in place. The whale like shape is visible both in the white surf and the calmer wave break water land side of the surf.
This must be the place

Jeff Palshook

• T2
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2013, 04:12:57 AM »

Ric, Do you happen to know the specific time period, or even the time of day, on 1 December 1938 when the Supermarine Walrus made its overflight of Gardner Island?  I've looked in the TIGHAR research documents and in Ameliapedia but could not find this specific information.  The report of the New Zealand survey expedition mentions HMS LEANDER but does not seem to have any specifics about flight(s) by its floatplane(s).  I guess the deck logs of the LEANDER would have this information, but apparently you do not have these logs.

Jeff P.

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2013, 05:08:03 AM »

Sometime between 6 am 30 th Jan  and 12 noon 5th   Feb Jeff...

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Documents/New_Zealand_Survey_Report/generalreport.html

Might have been plenty of time for both ships complements to get off a few snap shots as well?
This must be the place

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 05:14:08 AM by Jeff Victor Hayden »

Joy Diane Forster

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2013, 06:10:34 AM »

Hi, Ric,

Just curious (and if I missed this somewhere, forgive me), but I know that Jeff Glickman has a "day job", so has he been able to give any idea as to when he might be able to analyze these newly found photos?

Not to be too impatient, but this is really exciting along with the sonar anomaly...........
TIGHAR Member #4239

James G. Stoveken

• T2
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2013, 08:08:51 AM »

July 10th and 11th, Joy.  See Ric's reply #76 in this thread.
Jim Stoveken

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2013, 08:19:31 AM »

Am I going 'crazy' too Jeff!  Could be a whale......
TIGHAR Member #4154

Joy Diane Forster

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2013, 09:00:56 AM »

July 10th and 11th, Joy.  See Ric's reply #76 in this thread.

These are the dates that Jeff will take photos of the negatives, etc.   I would like to know when he will be able to analyze the data he gets from this trip............
TIGHAR Member #4239

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2013, 09:42:51 AM »

"Am I going 'crazy' too Jeff!  Could be a whale......"

I only posted that image Dan because of the way the 'whatever it turns out to be' appears both in the surf and, the calmer water. It extends from one area to the next and, you're right, it could be a whale, shadow etc... But it's the uncanny resemblance that I like most, as you yourself have noticed too.

This must be the place

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org