Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: 1938 Aerial Photos  (Read 386473 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: 1938 Aerial Photos
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2013, 10:49:58 AM »

The photo with the red circled object showed up in a 2010 TIGHAR Tracks.  Has there been any discussion of its relationship distance-wise to the Bevington photo object believed to be Lockheed Electra part number 40650?

No precise measurement but it's a long way from Nessie.

At some point it would be great to see an annotated photo (this one) showing the Bevington Objects location :)

Placing the Bevington Object location precisely in the 1938 photo is really tough because of the perspective view, but the approximate location I indicated in the photo I posted should be pretty darned close. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 10:54:54 AM by Ric Gillespie »

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2013, 12:12:24 PM »

Now all we need them to find is a small wooden box with some old dried up bones in it.......please!!!

Thank you Ted! Your generosity it greatly appreciated!
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2013, 12:19:58 PM »

The most amazing thing, to me at least, is that more than 70 years after Amelia and Fred disappeared, original documentation is still turning up. These photos ... Betty's notebook .. the Chater report ... the list seems endless.

LTM, who tries to keep things original,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2013, 12:30:02 PM »

The most amazing thing, to me at least, is that more than 70 years after Amelia and Fred disappeared, original documentation is still turning up. These photos ... Betty's notebook .. the Chater report ... the list seems endless.

It's a function of honesty, integrity, and transparency - the enormous worldwide awareness of TIGHAR's work through media coverage and research contacts.  We don't have to find all the secrets.  Other people find them and bring them to us. As we say - "The people will find Amelia."

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2013, 03:30:11 PM »

We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Brian Morrison

• T1
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2013, 05:20:30 PM »

HMS Leander 1938 with possibly, the Supermarine Walrus on deck which took the photos...

Too cool!

The Walrus was known to aircrews as the Shagbat.  Doesn't sound like a terribly complimentary name for such a sleek and undoubtedly blisteringly fast amphib.

According to Jeffrey Quill, Vickers-Supermarine test pilot from the mid 1930s to the late 1940s, the Walrus required a lot of muscle power to control, especially on the water, the cockpit became a real sweat box after a couple of take off attempts with lots of kicking the rudder to keep straight in the Solent swell off Eastleigh. In addition he said he could never seem to climb in or out of the Walrus without losing some skin in the process.

Anyone who flew the Walrus would probably say much the same, so maybe you now know how the unofficial name came about.

--

Brian
Brian

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2013, 06:52:21 AM »

There is a Supermarine museum down at Southampton Brian, well worth a visit. Schneider Trophy planes, spitfires and lots more.
This must be the place

Nancy Marilyn Gould

• T1
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2013, 10:03:46 AM »

Thank you, Ted Campbell!  After certain other distractions, you have restored my sense of optimism and hope in this project.  We WILL press on, and we WILL find out what really happened to AE!  You've. made my week!

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2013, 01:09:46 PM »

Hi All

I Believe these following images may show an anomaly under the surf by nessie

Picture 1, I first posted this image around Christmas, As a possible pic of the year for me personally as i believed it shows a plane shaped object underwater.

Picture 2, Ric posted this image today showing were nessie is thought to have been.

Picture 3, Is from the 1938 Ric posted 3rd image down here https://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,1222.0.html
The image is a close up of same area as above 2 images, In the yellow square just to left, you can just see the anomaly either side of white surf that's above it.
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 01:33:24 PM by richie conroy »

Torgeir Hasås

• T1
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2013, 12:53:26 AM »

Notice how the dark object seems to be "on top" of the breaking waves? I'd say that is the shadow of the plane the pictures was taken from.

The photo with the red circled object showed up in a 2010 TIGHAR Tracks.  Has there been any discussion of its relationship distance-wise to the Bevington photo object believed to be Lockheed Electra part number 40650?

No precise measurement but it's a long way from Nessie.

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2013, 04:55:55 AM »

Notice how the dark object seems to be "on top" of the breaking waves? I'd say that is the shadow of the plane the pictures was taken from.
The picture was taken in December. The airplane is North of the dark object. The shadow of the airplane would have been behind the camera, farther to the North.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2013, 08:19:28 AM »

For those who may be interested, this is the plan Jeff Glickman has submitted to the museum for approval.  It's similar to what we did at Oxford University in April 2012.
We're currently scheduled to do the work in Christchurch on July 10 and 11.

"I plan to shoot in a vertical orientation using a Nikon D800 DSLR with 36.3MP FX –format CMOS sensor and a AF-S Micro NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED macro lens. The camera will be suspended under a Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 tripod attached by a Giottos MH1301 ball head. The lens will be pointing directly down toward a GTI GLX Graphiclite D-5000 GLX10 transparency viewer.  The negatives will be placed in a Beseler 4x5 Negaflat carrier and placed on the GLX stage for shooting.  I expect the focal length to be about 10 inches so this should be a table top operation.  Each photograph will be stored simultaneously in two different digital formats: Uncompressed TIF images with be stored on a compact flash card and JPG images will be stored on a secure digital card.  The uncompressed TIF images will be about 105 megabytes each.  I’ll have black flocked paper and black duct tape available should we need to control any surface reflections on the negatives originating from ambient light sources. I’ll be using acid free archivist gloves for all handling of the negatives and I’ll have a camel hair brush available if needed. I’ll also have a couple of laptops with me to download and verify the imagery."

Peter F Kearney

• T1
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2013, 08:27:32 AM »

Ric a quick question, why JPEGs? I shoot with high end Nikons all the time. Store the images in Nikon RAW format which gives you the ability to color correct/aperture adjust and enhance the images. Then convert them into any format you want.
Peter
TIGHAR No. 4303R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2013, 08:31:33 AM »

Ric a quick question, why JPEGs? I shoot with high end Nikons all the time. Store the images in Nikon RAW format which gives you the ability to color correct/aperture adjust and enhance the images. Then convert them into any format you want.

The JPEGs are just for convenience in sorting and managing the collection.  It's the uncompressed TIFFs that will be used for analysis.

Peter F Kearney

• T1
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2013, 08:39:43 AM »

Understood. Thanks for the clarification.
Peter
TIGHAR No. 4303R

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org