Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22   Go Down

Author Topic: 1938 Aerial Photos  (Read 386479 times)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: 1938 Aerial Photos
« Reply #300 on: March 11, 2014, 02:44:29 PM »

"The party is particularly liable to suffer from fish poisoning, dysentery, coral sores, and tropical ulcers."

"Tropical ulcers" is a new item for "How to die on Niku 101."

From Wikipedia:

Tropical ulcer (also known as Aden ulcer, Jungle rot, Malabar ulcer, and Tropical phagedena)[1] is a lesion occurring in cutaneous leishmaniasis. It is caused by a variety of microorganisms, including mycobacteria. It is common in tropical climates.

Ulcers occur on exposed parts of the body, primarily on anterolateral aspect of the lower limbs and may erode muscles and tendons, and sometimes, the bones. These lesions may frequently develop on preexisting abrasions or sores sometimes beginning from a mere scratch.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 02:46:59 PM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #301 on: March 11, 2014, 04:53:56 PM »

To paraphrase Dorothy,
 " Poisoning and dysentery and ulcers-Oh My! Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore!"

If the surroundings are so unfriendly to a human, how did the colonists, or any tropical dwellers for that matter, handle these maladies?
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

Ross Devitt

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #302 on: March 11, 2014, 05:48:51 PM »

I recall that one of those documents has the original discussion where Gallagher was recommended for the position, after someone else could not take it on.

I'm glad they are of interest to someone else.  They kept me amused for many hours while I was away from TIGHAR.    The Gallagher thing was one of the big exciting parts of the investigation, but I thought people may have moved past all this old historical stuff.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #303 on: April 05, 2014, 06:52:13 AM »

... I thought people may have moved past all this old historical stuff.

You watch - this "old historical stuff" is what will ultimately solve this mystery. What is amazing to me is that more than 70 YEARS after Amelia and Fred disappeared, things relevant to the case are still surfacing in odd/unusual/amazing places.

LTM, who finds dry paint pretty interesting,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #304 on: September 25, 2014, 07:20:33 AM »

Interesting diarama photo.  Since this string was a bit sleepy of late thought I'd throw this in as bait for those photo-scrutinizing-minded types to conjecture over - a researcher's dream to find this lying in the bush.

The hoax-minded might fuzz it up a bit and tone to sepia and 'release' as 'newly found Japanese archival evidence of Earhart's fate'...  ::)

That said - there is (at least) one glaring physical feature that should immediately dismiss this model as less-than historically accurate - can you spot it?
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 07:27:22 AM by Jeffrey Neville »

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #305 on: September 25, 2014, 07:44:00 AM »

Is that a window to the right of the door? 

Other questions abound as well, for one, how could the plane have possible ended up with such a large tree so close to the trailing edge of the wing and fuselage?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #306 on: September 25, 2014, 07:47:34 AM »

That said - there is (at least) one glaring physical feature that should immediately dismiss this model as less-than historically accurate - can you spot it?

You mean other than the fact that the model is based on a Beech 18?

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #307 on: September 25, 2014, 07:50:31 AM »

*laughs* More "fun with PhotoShop." Where do you want me to start?

- No International Orange on the leading edges of the wings and top of the stabilizer;
- Rudders are the wrong shape and hinge line is wrong as well;
- No loop antenna;
- No vertical antenna mast behind the cockpit;
- Looks like the location of the portside window and rear entry door are flipped;
- Flaps are wrong;
- Just from a compositional standpoint, how did she manage to land it and get that tree jammed behind the corner of the port wing like that?
- What the heck is that horizontal antenna-looking thing sticking out in front of the cockpit coaming?

The other picture that shows the front of the aircraft is even better:
     - Nose is wayyyyy wrong, looks more like a Lockheed 12;
     - Hard to tell if the prop blades are colored black or gray - anyway, they don't look like polished metal;
     - Prop tips have incorrect yellow warning paint;
     - I don't see any mudguard on the one landing gear visible.

Still, a cute little diorama.

LTM, who does a little modeling in his spare time,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

JNev

• T5
« Reply #308 on: September 25, 2014, 08:05:28 AM »

You guys are GOOD!!!

The extra window was what I had in mind - but the other points are excellent!

We need a bit of trivia like this now and then, y'think?  Educational...  :)
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #309 on: September 25, 2014, 08:12:19 AM »

So when can we expect the white van with the camera crew, balloons, and over sized cardboard check to arrive?

JNev

• T5
« Reply #310 on: September 25, 2014, 08:29:44 AM »

Be nice.  :P
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #311 on: September 25, 2014, 08:38:00 AM »

Be nice.  :P

Sorry, didn't mean for it to be taken any other way than tongue in cheek.  I guess I need to reevaluate how thoughtful Thursday is going. 

JNev

• T5
« Reply #312 on: September 25, 2014, 08:52:14 AM »

LOL!!!  No sweat!
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Gus Rubio

• T2
« Reply #313 on: September 26, 2014, 11:17:59 AM »

Interesting diarama photo.  Since this string was a bit sleepy of late thought I'd throw this in as bait for those photo-scrutinizing-minded types to conjecture over - a researcher's dream to find this lying in the bush.

[snip]

That's Captain Kathryn Janeway of the Federation starship USS Voyager standing there.  You can easily see her red uniform shoulders, her communicator badge glinting in the sun, and her infamous hair-do.  I recognized it as soon as I saw it, even without clicking your link, which mentions the popular Star Trek website "Memory Alpha" in the photo description. 

"The 37s" was a fun episode even with the completely impossible opening segment, wherein an ancient Earth pick-up truck found floating in space is fired right up in the Voyager's shuttle bay.   ::)

JNev

• T5
« Reply #314 on: September 26, 2014, 01:07:24 PM »

That's Captain Kathryn Janeway of the Federation starship USS Voyager standing there.  You can easily see her red uniform shoulders, her communicator badge glinting in the sun, and her infamous hair-do.  I recognized it as soon as I saw it, even without clicking your link, which mentions the popular Star Trek website "Memory Alpha" in the photo description. 

"The 37s" was a fun episode even with the completely impossible opening segment, wherein an ancient Earth pick-up truck found floating in space is fired right up in the Voyager's shuttle bay.   ::)

Good eye!
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org