Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: 1938 Aerial Photos  (Read 386499 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: 1938 Aerial Photos
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 05:29:04 AM »

What's to stop the tin and its contents being FedExed over to TIGHAR Central and then back?
I'd say the possibility of eighty year old negatives being damaged would be the primary reason.  Nothing against FedEx, but any shipping company can damage shipments, especially when they come from overseas.

Archives, government or otherwise, never, ever (as in never, ever) relinquish possession of irreplaceable holdings.

Tim Gard

• T3
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 05:38:57 AM »

Great news about the new photos!! 3 cheers for Ted!!!

With Ric and Jeff making the sojourn down to the land of the long white cloud, then the photographic work will be done properly.

I just donated to the Legal Fund and The Earhart Project .

/ Member #4122 /
/Hold the Heading/

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 06:08:48 AM »

Kind of thought that Dale but was worth a mention?

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 06:21:33 AM »

Ted Campbell....you ARE the man!!!!  Many, many, many thanks! 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 06:29:19 AM »

Seems to me that you might be able to pay for someone in NZ to take the photos you'd like to have, and save yourself a whole lot of time and travel, probably for less than what's been offered up by Ted (thanks Ted!!). 

I know the temptation is to get out there and do it yourself, but I suspect that Jeff can dictate what needs to be done to someone who has the right equipment and the talent.  The photos and NZ aren't going anywhere, so if the result isn't up to snuff, we can try with someone else, or send you and Jeff to finish the job.

With what is on your plate, you might consider the options.

We've carefully considered the options.  There might conceivably be someone in New Zealand who has the sophisticated equipment and skill to get best-posible resolution copies of the negatives but they wouldn't have Jeff's knowledge of the project or my knowledge of the island. 
There is also the point that the archive's invitation was extended to me personally based on my long association with the Keeper of Photographs.  It is the trust we've built over the years with organizations and individuals around the world that result in these breakthroughs. We have to respect that.
There is also the point that, by going to New Zealand, I am making a public statement that TIGHAR will not be deterred from moving forward in our efforts to solve the Earhart mystery.

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 06:45:42 AM »

Just heard - HOT DAMN!!!!! This calls for a donation to celebrate. (I wish it could be more)

Careful Ric, they drive on the other side down there.

t

Dale O. Beethe

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 07:09:06 AM »

What's to stop the tin and its contents being FedExed over to TIGHAR Central and then back?
I'd say the possibility of eighty year old negatives being damaged would be the primary reason.  Nothing against FedEx, but any shipping company can damage shipments, especially when they come from overseas.

Archives, government or otherwise, never, ever (as in never, ever) relinquish possession of irreplaceable holdings.
Obviously an even better reason!  I hadn't even thought of that.  Looking forward to seeing if they show anything new.  Having what might essentially be "crime scene photos" could be priceless.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 07:33:10 AM by Bruce Thomas »

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 07:22:36 AM »

Great news about the photographs and thanks to Ted Campbell!  just goes to show that there's still a lot of stuff waiting to be "discovered" again.

Now if only an archivist can come across a certain wooden box. . . .!

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2013, 07:23:21 AM »

Lets not forget the 7 site in all of this.  Photo's may have something to show that has since been overgrown?

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2013, 07:28:54 AM »

"Today, when I was looking for some aerial photos of Auckland, I again came across a tin that is described as simply "Unknown island". ... Inside the tin is a slip of paper which states "Gardner island"

Now when my better half complains about all the junk I hoard in the garage I can provide evidence of how important it may become in years to come  ;)
This must be the place

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2013, 07:35:28 AM »

I'm writing up a Breaking News piece for the TIGHAR website.  Having now captured all of the individual frames from the lo-res contact sheets, there are 45 frames total.  Some are near duplicates but every part of the island was photographed from several angles. Let's recognize what we have here. Fifteen months after the Earhart disappearance and before anybody has set foot on the island, we have original large-format negatives on fine-grain, high-quality film of aerial photos for every part of the atoll. Unbelievable.

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2013, 07:55:38 AM »

Yes unbelievable opportunity to see what the island was like between AE/FN disappearing and the NZ/PISS teams arriving.

What can we hope for?

Evidence of the Bevington Object
Dash Dot
Other items North of the Norwich City

Evidence of Camp Zero, that’s a new one.

7 site trails

Other sign’s of ‘recent habitation’

It’s so nice not to be discussion the other subject  :)

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2013, 07:57:06 AM »

Question to Ric.  In the photos of the NW corner of the island, about 3/4 of the way up (moving NW) the reef edge towards the 'point' there are a couple of 'breaks' or 'holes' in the wave action.  In other words, the wave seem to be breaking around something in one or both of those spots.  You haveing been there, what could that be?  One of the crevises in the reef?  Those could keep a wave from breaking I suppose.   
TIGHAR Member #4154

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 08:02:23 AM »

Question to Ric.  In the photos of the NW corner of the island, about 3/4 of the way up (moving NW) the reef edge towards the 'point' there are a couple of 'breaks' or 'holes' in the wave action.  In other words, the wave seem to be breaking around something in one or both of those spots.  You haveing been there, what could that be?  One of the crevises in the reef?  Those could keep a wave from breaking I suppose.

Yes, the waves tend to break on either side of the grooves because the water is deeper there.

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2013, 09:09:49 AM »

I'm writing up a Breaking News piece for the TIGHAR website.  Having now captured all of the individual frames from the lo-res contact sheets, there are 45 frames total.  Some are near duplicates but every part of the island was photographed from several angles. Let's recognize what we have here. Fifteen months after the Earhart disappearance and before anybody has set foot on the island, we have original large-format negatives on fine-grain, high-quality film of aerial photos for every part of the atoll. Unbelievable.

Great potential in this new discovery as well as the sonar anomaly. Slowly but surely...

This must be the place

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org