Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51   Go Down

Author Topic: TIGHAR Legal Defense Fund  (Read 705769 times)

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
Re: TIGHAR Legal Defense Fund
« Reply #735 on: August 27, 2014, 03:53:20 PM »

As Ric said...

And who knows - consider in abstract, perhaps someone could post something with an inadvertant attachment, then delete it for some reason - all the while never realizing they had accidentally attached a particuar document.  Benefit of doubt, if you will.

Peace.

Thanks Jeff,
Many things are possible.
“question of honesty” doesn’t mean one or the other has to be dishonest.
I wanted to resolve my honesty on the forum and am glad that the posted report was documented.
3971R

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 04:07:05 PM by Greg Daspit »

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #736 on: September 02, 2014, 11:06:11 AM »

Note on the main web page today that an anonymous donor has stepped up to cover the ongoing legal bills. God bless ya, whoever you are!

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSp
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #737 on: September 02, 2014, 11:19:51 AM »

That is extremely generous and reassuring. 

That certainly can provide a firmer footing by which to get refocused on the search.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Kent Beuchert

• T1
« Reply #738 on: September 02, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »

So I assume that this forum has banned Melton?  I'm no lawyer, and don't understand why legal assistance was needed, or why the need to even contest his claims.
    It certainly may be different in the case of an organization like TIGHAR, but I once consulted with a very respected and able asset protection attorney and know that one's personal funds can be protected from judgments rather easily. In my case it involved nothing more than stashing my  money in a selected bank, one which doesn't respect legal judgements from anyone except the Feds and the state. And in Florida (and other states) one's residential dwelling is immune to property liens that attempt to collect anything other than mechanic's attachments (for work done on the home by home improvement, roofing companies, etc .).
 As for vehicles - rent, don't own, or put it in a relative's name. Etc, etc. There are many other mechanisms available, from LLCs and on, that can make it virtually impossible for any attorney to collect on a judgment. Anyone with assets should do something to protect himself against our obscene judicial system, whose laws have been crafted by lawyers, largely, it often seems, for the benefit of lawyers. No country wastes more money, time and effort on civil lawsuits than ours does : our system admits even the most ridiculous and trivial of claims.
     For anyone worried about defamation lawsuits, I believe that a very simple and cheap protection can be found with an umbrella insurance policy. It will usually provide the insured with protection against libel and defamation of character lawsuits, etc.  Check with your insurance agent and also possibly have your financial situation evaluated by an asset protection attorney. They usually charge around $500 I believe. That's about what I paid.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #739 on: September 02, 2014, 02:23:02 PM »

So I assume that this forum has banned Melton?

No need to assume.  We said so very clearly.

I'm no lawyer, and don't understand why legal assistance was needed, or why the need to even contest his claims.

As you said, you're no lawyer.

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #740 on: September 02, 2014, 05:45:23 PM »

The most important thing that this incredible gift does, to my way of thinking, is to remove all this litigation as a distraction and something that forced TIGHAR to spread its efforts too thinly for no gain.

That alone is worth a hearty Thanks! from this humble TIGHAR.

LTM, who knows what he doesn't know,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #741 on: September 02, 2014, 06:09:23 PM »

The most important thing that this incredible gift does, to my way of thinking, is to remove all this litigation as a distraction and something that forced TIGHAR to spread its efforts too thinly for no gain.

Our anonymous benefactor had two motivations;
- to make it clear that any attempt to destroy TIGHAR by bankrupting us with legal debt is not going to work. I could paraphrase the NRA's Wayne LaPierre ... but I won't.
- to allow TIGHAR to clear the decks for action and devote all of our energies and resources to solving the Earhart mystery.

We are grateful beyond words.

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #742 on: September 03, 2014, 10:04:45 AM »

This is fabulous!  Wish they would come forward so we ALL could thank them properly.  But thanks to them so much! 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #743 on: September 03, 2014, 10:16:02 AM »

A fiery horse with the speed of light
a cloud of dust
and a hearty "Hi Oh Silver!"

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #744 on: September 03, 2014, 10:45:36 AM »

Dating myself ... I grew up with that show, and yeah, the TV was black and white and about 8-inches on the diagonal.

Bless 'em all the same. You don't always need words to send a message. Sometimes the metaphorical middle finger works justttttttttttt fine  ;D

LTM, who tries not to dangle digits unnecessarily,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #745 on: September 03, 2014, 10:51:24 AM »

Hi yo horsechips, and awaaaaayyyy!

Yeah, that picture brings back a memory or two.  Who was that masked man?

May not matter in the fiscal sense now, but I really hope we don't get into high-fives... bad form.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #746 on: September 03, 2014, 11:39:09 AM »

May not matter in the fiscal sense now, but I really hope we don't get into high-fives... bad form.

Indeed.  With a happy ending to this episode we can cue the William Tell Overture and close this thread.
(This he now does.)

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #747 on: October 28, 2014, 10:56:09 AM »

Mellon's Notice of Appeal is just that - a notice that he intends to appeal.  His lawyers now have 40 days to come up with the actual appeal.  They can't just say that they disagree with the judge's ruling.  They have to find some way to fault the judge's interpretation of the law.  Filing the notice may merely be a way to buy time.

Ric - Did Mellon file an appeal?  Has the timeline run out for him to do so?  Are we free of this chapter for good?

Andrew

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #748 on: October 28, 2014, 11:05:26 AM »

Ric - Did Mellon file an appeal?  Has the timeline run out for him to do so?  Are we free of this chapter for good?

No appeal yet.  Mellon has until November 19 to file. 
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org