Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 51   Go Down

Author Topic: TIGHAR Legal Defense Fund  (Read 705658 times)

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
Re: TIGHAR Legal Defense Fund
« Reply #645 on: July 07, 2014, 03:09:16 PM »

In statement #1, you denigrate TIGHAR and imply that you would have done a better job of planning, but....

Statement #2 puts the lie to Statement #1 as you admit that only after the 2012 expedition did you think of lasers, so you did just as bad a job of planning as TIGHAR (and the professional subcontractors TIGHAR employed).  Didn't you take Archaeology 101?

Andrew, Andrew...

You seem to be confusing me, a mere layman before my participation, with TIGHAR the self-proclaimed experts in all matters relative to the loss of, and search for, Amelia Earhart. I certainly have learned many things from my experiences, but to suggest that I could have in any manner been able to contribute to the planning of either expedition is pure poppy-cock (or "banjo", as Ric now enjoys saying).

Well, dang, Tim - which way is it?

You criticize TIGHAR for not being more professionally attentive by asserting what you seem to see as a professional viewpoint, and now disclaim that very thing.

Now you seem to be confusing me, period!  :P
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #646 on: July 09, 2014, 09:59:00 AM »

In statement #1, you denigrate TIGHAR and imply that you would have done a better job of planning, but....

Statement #2 puts the lie to Statement #1 as you admit that only after the 2012 expedition did you think of lasers, so you did just as bad a job of planning as TIGHAR (and the professional subcontractors TIGHAR employed).  Didn't you take Archaeology 101?

Andrew, Andrew...

You seem to be confusing me, a mere layman before my participation, with TIGHAR the self-proclaimed experts in all matters relative to the loss of, and search for, Amelia Earhart. I certainly have learned many things from my experiences, but to suggest that I could have in any manner been able to contribute to the planning of either expedition is pure poppy-cock (or "banjo", as Ric now enjoys saying).

Further to his post above, I kindly agree with Tim's admission there of being a mere layman.  Below is his own explanation from an earlier time of how he managed to scale things -

Tim, do a search on the word 'scale' and you should find the appropriate threads.

Chris, thanks for the suggestion. Earlier in the year folks were seeing some of the same things. The wheel, for instance. What has provided scale for me is the juxtaposition of the wheel and engine suggested by John Balderston (see reply #1567 this thread, third attachment).

John also points out the numeral "2" at time 13:43:20 frame 14 in the upper right hand corner of the picture. The known size of the number on the plane's wing is certainly scale that I can believe in (see reply #1598 this thread, third attachment).

Of course, scale is going to depend on distance from camera to object observed. It would be helpful if somehow the ROV could drop foot-long bio-degradable "straws" from place to place, just to give us a shot at scale!

To depend on the 'wheel' and 'engine' and 'juxtaposition' as a reliable method of scaling size or distance would be dependent on objectively showing that one reliably was looking at one such object for certain, i.e. indeed, factually a 'wheel', or an 'engine'.  Proof that we are indeed looking at same, beyond significant doubt (in fact, in the words of one, those odds are "vanishingly small") appears to remain elusive.  Hence, we still lack a reliable form of scale, if considered according to Tim's idea.

Could such an object be provably identified, then his idea would be grand, I would agree; were that the case, however, we'd hardly have need of further consideration - the bird would be in-hand.  The odds seem to remain 'vanishingly small', however.

The 'biodegradable straws' seems like an interesting idea; they would need to be highly visible I would think, lest they simply become more needles in the Niku haystack.

All the best,
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 11:40:27 AM by Jeffrey Neville »

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #647 on: July 09, 2014, 12:52:53 PM »

There is a hearing scheduled for July 17 in Casper at which the judge will hear oral arguments on the dispositive motions.  ... I'll be there.

What time on July 17th?

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #648 on: July 09, 2014, 12:54:15 PM »

There is a hearing scheduled for July 17 in Casper at which the judge will hear oral arguments on the dispositive motions.  ... I'll be there.

What time on July 17th?

LTM,

Dunno yet.

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #649 on: July 09, 2014, 05:02:35 PM »

If the court grants our motions the case is over.

Well, except for any appeal.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #650 on: July 10, 2014, 06:32:24 AM »

I wonder if Mellon will bother to show up this time? It is his game, after all.

LTM, who as walked the walk to Casper,

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #651 on: July 10, 2014, 06:38:59 AM »

The Plaintiffs response to our dispositive motions was filled yesterday.  The "exhibits" files are too big to post on the Forum.

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #652 on: July 10, 2014, 06:40:45 AM »

I wonder if Mellon will bother to show up this time? It is his game, after all.

LTM, who as walked the walk to Casper,

Sorry, Monty, I will be in Italy on the 17th.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #653 on: July 10, 2014, 09:58:11 AM »

The Plaintiffs response to our dispositive motions was filled yesterday. 

For my own edification, I started counting the sentences and phrases that could charitably be classified as "sour grapes" ... and got bored when I reached 50.

LTM, who remembers that famous line from A Few Good Men,

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #654 on: July 10, 2014, 10:03:33 AM »

The Plaintiffs response to our dispositive motions was filled yesterday. 

For my own edification, I started counting the sentences and phrases that could charitably be classified as "sour grapes" ... and got bored when I reached 50.

LTM, who remembers that famous line from A Few Good Men,

So I guess the court should be prepared to serve some cheese to go along with all of that "whine"?
(Sorry- I couldn't resist it!)
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #655 on: July 10, 2014, 10:08:49 AM »

Can't blame Tim for wanting to be as far away from that courtroom as possible on the the 17th.

Between now and then the attorneys and I will be looking closely at the Plaintiff's response to our requests for summary judgment to identify its many factual errors and fallacies. We'd like your help.  Interested Forum readers, especially those with legal training, are encouraged to review the original complaint, our motions for dismissal, and the Plaintiff's response.  I'll put the relevant documents and exhibits in the TIGHAR dropbox.  Just send me an email at ric@tighar.org and I'll send you an invitation to the dropbox.

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #656 on: July 10, 2014, 10:39:40 AM »

Certainly one issue I have is the characterization of a piece of rope and a piece of wire as being "Wreckage", and further that our identifying what are, or what we think might be man made objects, as being conclusively from Earhart.

We've found a lot of man made material on Nikumaroro, both in the water and on land.  The issue is to connect any of it conclusively to Earhart which to this day remains a question.  Seems to me that to win his case, he has to prove there can be no other source for that material, which we know is not the case given the history of human activities at Nikumaroro.

How can Mellon conclude that a piece of rope or wire found on the reef face is any more conclusively linked to Earhart than a piece of rope or wire found in the Village?  His argument seems to be that it was found in the right place, but if that is the standard, we've found Earhart "wreckage" all over the island.  The same argument could be used for a piece of rope found off Howland Island.  Even the stuff we have in hand that we think is related to Earhart is hard to establish as conclusive, how can he say that stuff we don't have in hand to examine is conclusively Earhart related?  Bit of a stretch.

Hopefully the Judge will have powers of logic and deal with this case in the manner it deserves.

Andrew

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #657 on: July 12, 2014, 01:03:01 PM »

Hi All

just read this news report thought i would post for anyone interested  http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/a9b2d14a5ce1416d9418453c07b8abfb/US--Earhart-Suit
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #658 on: July 13, 2014, 11:56:49 AM »

Mellon knows full well what he's doing. And I know why he's doing it.

"Poisoning the well" for future TIGHAR donations is the least of his goals. And at least TIGHARs have the stones to show up in court, en masse.

LTM,

« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 11:58:26 AM by Monty Fowler »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #659 on: July 16, 2014, 08:24:42 AM »

On my way to Casper. Hearing tomorrow. Wish us luck.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 51   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org