Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 51   Go Down

Author Topic: TIGHAR Legal Defense Fund  (Read 705551 times)

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
Re: TIGHAR Legal Defense Fund
« Reply #585 on: April 21, 2014, 05:44:30 AM »

All,
If Mellon’s experts have identified and outlined certain “aircraft parts” in the 2010 video can’t we scale backwards to see if there is anything there?  What I mean by back scale is:

Hopefully we know the depth of the camera at the time the object was photographed and the distance to the sea floor or the focal length of the camera.  And;

Would it then be possible to back scale the object outlined i.e. if we find by back scaling the object – say a wheel outlined – and find it would be 10 times larger or smaller then the original L10 equipment this should shut down the claim.

Also, I was re watching the “Dive 14” video and noticed something at 15:58:44:04 that appears to be a perfect dark rimmed circle – has Jeff taken a close up look at this object?

Ted Campbell

Fogettaboutit, Ted -

Re-read Kaufman and Ebert if you've read them, read carefully now if you've not - they cover this well.  The videos are a non-starter for any real identification of airplane stuff, let alone Earhart stuff - and scale is ONE of the major impediments.

Frankly, the OTHER impediments are more than enough to leave me with a "glad the effort was made and for what we learned, but no cigar and no Electra" - time to move on, what Mark Appel just said: if we'd see this through then we have to go back and make a great mission of it.  There's nothing more concrete toward solving the mystery to be found in the videos, as fun and educational as they were. 

These two gents had no axe to grind and told it like it is, IMO.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

John Ousterhout

• T4
« Reply #586 on: April 21, 2014, 09:03:54 AM »

"...the distance to the sea floor or the focal length of the camera"
There isn't enough information to "back scale" - the distance from the camera to any particular object is not known - it might be inches or yards.  In really clear water, you might be able to clearly make out details at tens of yards, but they would look the same as a smaller object just inches away.  A lemon drop a foot away would appear identical to a lemon 5 feet away, which would appear the same as a grapefruit 10 feet away.
Cheers,
JohnO

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #587 on: May 02, 2014, 01:52:34 PM »

Now that no more new facts can be introduced into the case (discovery cutoff was April 30), I am hoping that maybe common sense will break out in Casper and if we even get to the motion hearing set for July 17th, it will be agreed by all to step away and fall, or not, on our respective swords.

I am hoping that is how the judge will see things.

LTM, who knows what he doesn't know (and wishes others would admit to the same),
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #588 on: May 02, 2014, 01:56:49 PM »

Now that no more new facts can be introduced into the case (discovery cutoff was April 30)

Discovery was extended at our request.  We needed more time for our experts (Les Kaufman was traveling).

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #589 on: June 07, 2014, 09:22:12 PM »

Where do we stand Ric, legally and money wise?
Ted

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #590 on: June 08, 2014, 08:40:27 AM »

Where do we stand Ric, legally and money wise?

The Theater of the Absurd continues.  On May 23 Tim Mellon's attorney Tim Stubson took Jeff Glickman's deposition in Seattle.  Mr. Mellon was present to observe. TIGHAR attorney Bill Carter was there on TIGHAR's behalf.  This week the circus shifts to Boston where Stubson will be taking depositions from TIGHAR board members Graham Berwind and Art Carty on Wednesday and from TIGHAR experts Dr. Jim Ebert (photogrammetry) and Prof. Les Kaufman (coral) on Thursday.  TIGHAR attorney John Masterson will be there on our behalf.  I'll be there to observe. 

I expect Tim Mellon will be there, wearing his Gone Squatchin' ball cap as he did at his own deposition.  Although presumably intended to poke fun at Jeff Glickman's early research into the Big Foot phenomenon, the hat is an exquisitely ironic description of Mellon's own hunt for evidence of TIGHAR fraud or negligent misrepresentation - a pointless search for something that doesn't exist. 

We've generally been able to keep up with the legal bills through contributions to the Legal Defense Fund and the generosity of some well-heeled contributors, but the travel and lawyer time for these depositions will be expensive.

JNev

• T5
« Reply #591 on: June 08, 2014, 10:15:47 AM »

What happened to Tim's own hint at reconciliation after the previous round on these very pages?  Vexatiously absurd.

By continuing so, Tim merely proves himself a sore loser in my view.  It reminds me of the boy who fetches his football home after a rough tackle.  "Gone Squatchin'" is a small hat that now seems to fit all too well considering the irony of Tim really seeming upset that Glickman just won't see the toilet paper, banjo and cadaverous 'face' etc. that Earhart left among the Flintstonian 'wreckage' at Niku... That he would ascribe that denial to some deliberate concealment is beyond any words and thoughts I care to write here.

I have great confidence that Ebert and Kaufman will acquit themselves with excellence; if Tim really must have that capstone placed over the daisies now growing over the musty grave of his ideas, let it be so.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #592 on: June 08, 2014, 01:50:45 PM »

What happened to Tim's own hint at reconciliation after the previous round on these very pages?

Tim has a generous and reasonable settlement offer in front of him. He has not accepted it, nor has he rejected it. He apparently wants to do some more squatchin' but discovery will close later this month and Tim's squatchin' days will be over.

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #593 on: June 08, 2014, 03:16:14 PM »

"Gone Squatchin' " ... I thought that's what that cap said. There's just no accounting for some things.

Sigh ... when I think of all the bottom time for the submersibles that TIGHAR could buy with the money that Mellon has forced TIGHAR to waste, well ... TIGHAR is still going to find Amelia. Then perhaps we can buy Mellon a new cap. What should be written on the front of that cap, well, I will leave that up to the Formerly Appointed Nominating Committee for Absurdities.

LTM, who is waiting to see if the paint is dry,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #594 on: June 09, 2014, 09:25:48 AM »

What happened to Tim's own hint at reconciliation after the previous round on these very pages?

Tim has a generous and reasonable settlement offer in front of him. He has not accepted it, nor has he rejected it. He apparently wants to do some more squatchin' but discovery will close later this month and Tim's squatchin' days will be over.

Ric, the offer was rejected several weeks ago. I'm sorry you didn't get the word.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

JNev

• T5
« Reply #595 on: June 09, 2014, 09:33:53 AM »

Ric, the offer was rejected several weeks ago. I'm sorry you didn't get the word.

Well, in any case, as Ric notes discovery will soon close.

With any decent luck the scrimmage field will be cleared and a new football can be had.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #596 on: June 20, 2014, 05:38:36 PM »

Discovery closed on June 15 except for two depositions that will be done before the end of the month.
Yesterday our legal team filed three "dispositive motions" i.e. motions that ask the judge to dispose of the case.  As you may recall, only two of the four original counts remain - fraud and negligent misrepresentation.  Racketeering and negligence were thrown out earlier this year. 

The motions filed yesterday were:
• a motion to dismiss me from the case as an individual.
• a motion to dismiss the fraud count
• a motion to dismiss the negligent misrepresentation count

The filings are public but I am under strict instruction not to comment on them.

Attached are the "memo" filings for each motion.  They contain the argument for why we think the motion should be granted.  You'll see reference to "exhibits."  I can also post the exhibits of you're interested.

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #597 on: June 21, 2014, 12:14:13 PM »

Sigh ... if only logic and common sense were allowed to rule in our judicial system. Still, we have a good, thoughtful judge, who is more than aware that this isn't a garden-vareity legal kerfluffle. He is going to read and weigh all of these thoroughly.

And I'm hoping at the end of it, Mellon will need a new hat. I already have one picked out.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #598 on: June 22, 2014, 06:51:57 AM »

Incidentally, although I am constrained from commenting on the filings, you guys are not.  Feel free to express any opinion you may have about the strength or weakness of the arguments presented.

matt john barth

• T1
« Reply #599 on: June 22, 2014, 11:52:27 AM »

Just out of curiosity, why would Tighar remain friends with Mr. Mellon, after he filed this lawsuit if it were frivolous like people seem to think, or at least that is what I am making of it. I know I don't know all of the facts.

Matt
Barth

Ps for educational purposes
Matthew J. Barth

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 51   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org