Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 51   Go Down

Author Topic: TIGHAR Legal Defense Fund  (Read 705468 times)

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
Re: TIGHAR Legal Defense Fund
« Reply #555 on: March 08, 2014, 09:48:17 AM »

Another point
Tires like the Goodyear Air Wheel have very thick membranes. Examples of other underwater images of aircraft tires have shown the tires keep most of their shape. The "tire" suggested in "expert" interpetation of the 2010 image looks  very flat and has no shape. (again, these are not experts in interpreting images) It seems that since the shape didn't fit what was expected they just assumed the tire was flat. The problem is that type of tire does not go completely flat even with a 5" gash as seen in the blue link

LTM, and admits he needs grammar lessons. :-[
3971R

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 09:52:42 AM by Greg Daspit »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #556 on: March 08, 2014, 06:42:01 PM »

Apart from Tighar say so, Is there any actual evidence that the 2010 rov video was recorded on the reef face of Nikumorro island ?

By actual evidence there has to be uncut footage of surface view of island and then decent to location of apparent debris field

Also none of the experts that are mentioned, Do not have experience in 75 year old wreaks 1000s of feet under water on a reef face

They also need to prove Earhart landed on Niku in order to have a lawsuit based on truth

We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

James Champion

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #557 on: March 08, 2014, 08:14:43 PM »

To be scientific about it, a blind test needs to be setup. Video needs to be taken off, say, the Florida keys at a similar depth. The "experts" need to be asked to analyze the new video for any evidence of aircraft parts without revealing details of the video.

If the "experts" indicate they can't find aircraft parts in the new video, then they pass as "Experts".

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #558 on: March 08, 2014, 08:39:24 PM »

As I have posted previously, this lawsuit cannot be found to have merit.  If The judge was to rule in favour of Mr. Mellon then that would be the judge announcing to the world that Earhart remains had been found.  The judge cannot do that based on the evidence presented as the evidence does not prove the case. Why doesn't it?  If the evidence was so clear as to prove Mr. Mellon's case then he, and the press, would have pronounced "Amelia Found" already.  Ric and TIGHAR would have been have been hailed as the finders.  Didn't happen.  So the judge is going to pronounce "Amelia Found" based on a few poorly executed exhibits. Uh uh. Ain't gonna happen.

But if he did then the world press and many, more informed experts would be examining the videos, the only evidence presented, and the judges ruling would be found wanting.  IMHO the judge isn't going to put himself through that scrutiny based on the the evidence presented.

So, if Ric and TIGHAR lose because the judge believes "Amelia Found" then Ric and TIGHAR win. (If the judge is believed). If judge finds not guilty or dismisses then Ric and TIGHAR win. 

So what this all really means is Mr. Mellon loses either way.
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #559 on: March 08, 2014, 09:18:28 PM »

Let's be honest 2-2-V-1 Is an actual piece of aircraft skin of the same elements as Amelia's L10

Yet 468 replies later people are still unsure of the authenticity of the object, The only reason this case of Tim's is still going is because of the surname Mellon

Because it has credibility

Member# 416

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #560 on: March 08, 2014, 10:23:03 PM »

I'm just glad we are questioning and discussing interesting artifacts like 2-2-V-1 and TIGHAR is moving forward. What is weird is if you wanted to claim there is proof that TIGHAR already found the plane, evidence like 2-2-V-1 and the Bevington image are far more convincing than the underwater images that Tim sees toilet paper in.
People have different degrees of proof. No one person should claim it is time to stop finding it.
3971R

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #561 on: March 08, 2014, 10:39:17 PM »

Greg exactly my point if we cant prove, YET that 2-2-V-1 came from Amelia's Electra that is a physical object then how can one say the objects seen in 2010 video are man made the rope is the only man made object in video

Member# 416

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #562 on: March 08, 2014, 11:33:19 PM »

Good point, Greg and Richie -

We have a tangible in 2-2-V-1 that could yet prove to be from another source, but it's a very narrow case in terms of the physical details.  The Bevington Object, well - like all things so far, eye of beholder - but I can see elements that are quite persuasive.

These sea floor 'objects' are far more abstract, if not abstruse - in terms of suggestion.  It is true that some images down there got a great deal of attention as suggestive - including to me (just look upstream in those old threads).  But the more and closer we'd look, the less convincing they became.  Now we are shown images as 'evidence' that are way off the deep end to me, and apparently quite a number of other reasonable observers agree to at least a great extent: rocks and coral.

You can count me as reasonable or not - your choice - some find me 'hard to understand'... never mind what I think of some of them... ;).
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #563 on: March 09, 2014, 12:04:52 AM »

my family are keen followers of Tighar, However the 2010 rov topic is a sore point for me, Aldo a learning curve i believe you can make them rock out crops look like anything u please with enough jangling

Thanks 

Member# 416

Mark Appel

• T3
« Reply #564 on: March 09, 2014, 01:16:59 PM »

I've removed a few witty but irrelevant postings.  Getting back to the issue at hand, does ANYBODY who has seen Mr. Mellon's experts' findings feel that they have merit?

While I've tried to be objective in assessing the merits of the plaintiff's expert witness qualifications and findings, the simple truth is I may have failed. So I shared the history and relevant documentation with a sharp trial attorney friend of mine who has effectively no interest in the fate of Amelia Earhart (and is only amused by mine).

His take and mine: These expert witnesses have done their utmost to produce findings with enough plausible deniability so as to maintain minimal credibility with their high-paying client and not grossly undermine their own reputations. He found it difficult to believe these experts would be looking forward to a cross-examination. His guess is the plaintiff's plan is to settle rather than go to trial.

The wildcard: impossible to predict the motives or goals of people with sufficient resources to casually gamble on lawsuits--usually it's ego-driven.

My take again: Of Mellon's "experts" I am quite surprised at:

-the lack of rigor in their methodologies
-their willingness to to take huge leaps of logic to describe their findings  as "likely"
-the merely tangential relevance of their respective areas of expertise
"Credibility is Everything"

Ross Devitt

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #565 on: March 09, 2014, 08:08:31 PM »

The most ridiculous aspect of this defense fund thing, is that had TIGHAR found the Electra, a public announcement and display of any real evidence would have had funds flooding in from all over the place for a retrieval operation.

I believe Tighar has always made all discoveries, even though they were water pistols instead of the smoking gun, public, for that reason.  Success brings enthusiasm, brings funding.

It is a strange world.

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #566 on: March 29, 2014, 08:47:55 PM »

Ric,
Where do we stand on the funding?
Ted Campbell

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #567 on: April 02, 2014, 12:10:16 PM »

I plan to send some more $$$$ on to as soon as I am able.

Time to put a stake in this thing. The big, old, wooden kind.

LTM, who finds dry paint really interesting these days,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #568 on: April 02, 2014, 12:34:21 PM »

Thank you Jeff, for that eloquent endorsement. I spent Monday and Tuesday in Casper, Wyoming (I'm making my way homeward today).  On Monday we took Mr. Mellon's deposition and on Tuesday his lawyer took mine.  All-day sessions of being grilled by lawyers is nobody's idea of fun but Tim and I were up to the task.  We conducted ourselves like the gentlemen we try to be.  I won't say there wasn't a tight jaw from time to time but there was no acrimony, no furniture was thrown, and no animals were harmed in the taking of the depositions.

I am, of course, not at liberty to disclose what was said but I think it's fair to say that the depositions were an educational and perhaps enlightening experience for all concerned.

From my personal perspective, I am impressed with, and tremendously grateful, to our legal team who spent many hours in preparation and two grueling days in carrying out these depositions.  I'm also keenly aware of the cost we must bear for that work.  TIGHAR attorney, board member, and expedition team member extraordinaire Bill Carter is working pro bono at great expense to himself. Wyoming attorney John Masterson and his associates don't have that option but their dedication to our cause is no less than Bill's.  We were about $30,000 in debt to the firm BEFORE this go-'round so the need to fund this rodeo is real and immediate.  Your help is important and appreciated.

Mark Appel

• T3
« Reply #569 on: April 02, 2014, 05:30:42 PM »

"...the depositions were an educational and perhaps enlightening experience for all concerned."

I bet.

And Ric, I deeply regret that you and the organization are being dragged through this grossly unprofitable and unnecessary exercise; but to offer a summary of Jeff Neville's eloquent assessment--it is what it is... I'll do my best to keep the shekels coming your way.
"Credibility is Everything"

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 51   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org