Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 51   Go Down

Author Topic: TIGHAR Legal Defense Fund  (Read 705542 times)

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
Re: TIGHAR Legal Defense Fund
« Reply #450 on: October 05, 2013, 06:43:52 AM »

So what happens next? I'm not up on my federal trial procedures - which won't matter for awhile anyway because the federal courts are going to run out of money to operate next week.

Does the other side appeal the ruling favorable to TIGHAR, or do things just proceed on the remaining allegations. Either way, with this federal shutdown, it's gonna be awhile.  :(

LTM, who doesn't like tennis matches,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Jeff Palshook

• T2
« Reply #451 on: October 05, 2013, 07:43:02 AM »

Ric,

On September 19 you first posted the news that TIGHAR needs to raise $15,000 in the next 30 days to meet daily operating expenses and legal expenses associated with Tim Mellon's lawsuit.  The 30 day deadline is now only two weeks away.  You haven't given an update in a while on the fundraising efforts to meet that $15K target.  How is the fundraising currently going?  What is the current total?  Are "bad things", as you put it, still possible or probable come October 19 if the $15K is not raised by then?

Thanks,

Jeff P.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #452 on: October 05, 2013, 08:07:09 AM »

On September 19 you first posted the news that TIGHAR needs to raise $15,000 in the next 30 days to meet daily operating expenses and legal expenses associated with Tim Mellon's lawsuit.  The 30 day deadline is now only two weeks away.  You haven't given an update in a while on the fundraising efforts to meet that $15K target.  How is the fundraising currently going?  What is the current total?  Are "bad things", as you put it, still possible or probable come October 19 if the $15K is not raised by then?

Sorry.  I've been finalizing plans for Niku VIII.
Forum and TIGHAR member response to our funding appeal has been very gratifying.  We're presently within about $2,000 of meeting the $15,000 goal by October 19. We're gonna be fine, but of course the bills don't stop coming and the fund raising must continue.  I'm sure everybody would rather help support the next expedition than defend a senseless lawsuit.  There's still work that must be done to bury the remains of the lawsuit but I'm really excited about the plan we've put together for Niku VIII.  I'll have that ready to show everyone soon.

George Lam

• T2
« Reply #453 on: October 05, 2013, 03:58:24 PM »

Speaking of which, anyone who wants to help fund the next voyage can post to this thread I created (link below).  Not as many hits as I hoped within the last week but can't rush things.

Niku 2014 fund thread here

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #454 on: October 06, 2013, 07:00:31 AM »

Just dropped a check in the mail Friday for the defense fund Ric. Keep up the good work!
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #455 on: October 06, 2013, 11:23:25 AM »

Just dropped a check in the mail Friday for the defense fund Ric. Keep up the good work!

Thank you Jeff.

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #456 on: October 06, 2013, 08:48:47 PM »

Ric,
Where do we stand re the cost of defence?
Ted

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #457 on: October 06, 2013, 09:16:22 PM »

Where do we stand re the cost of defence?

So far the defense of this case has cost $19,000 - a fraction of what it would be had not much of it been done pro bono - and a bargain for the excellent results so far,  but the bills must still be paid.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #458 on: October 11, 2013, 06:13:43 PM »

Well ... I know TIGHAR needs the money now. I plan to do what my financial resources can support. This is a fight we are well on the way to willing.

LTM,
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #459 on: October 11, 2013, 06:27:13 PM »

This is a fight we are well on the way to willing.

LTM,

Willing doesn't hack it, Monty. It's winning that counts.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Nancy Marilyn Gould

• T1
« Reply #460 on: October 11, 2013, 07:10:35 PM »

One thing I'm confused about is: Doesn't an organization like Tighar have insurance?  It seems to me that, in this day and age, any organization is in danger of being sued, so wouldn't insurance be a necessity?  I, myself, carry umbrella insurance.  Of course, I don't know if that insurance would cover the cost of the legal fees.  It almost sounds like you have to be rich to be able to defend yourself in this great country of ours.  Say it ain't true!

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #461 on: October 11, 2013, 07:22:37 PM »

Willing to fight your lawsuit too the end is what will win

However no one win's in this case do they, It's just lessons learned an no doubt Tighar will continue to operate as they did before you contributed  and after your refund claim was halted.

What is the difference between donating and contributing in america
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #462 on: October 11, 2013, 08:25:54 PM »

There is no difference.  The two words mean essentially the same thing.

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #463 on: October 11, 2013, 08:48:35 PM »

Willing to fight your lawsuit too the end is what will win

However no one win's in this case do they, It's just lessons learned an no doubt Tighar will continue to operate as they did before you contributed  and after your refund claim was halted.

The lawsuit asks for "Treble Damages".  Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Tim asking for 3 times more than a "refund"?
3971R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #464 on: October 11, 2013, 09:30:02 PM »

The lawsuit asks for "Treble Damages".  Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Tim asking for 3 times more than a "refund"?

Yes, he tried that but treble damages are only possible under RICO (racketeering) and that part of the lawsuit has already been thrown out.  All of the Mellon lawsuit legal documents are on the TIGHAR website.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 51   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org