Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 51   Go Down

Author Topic: TIGHAR Legal Defense Fund  (Read 705407 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: TIGHAR Legal Defense Fund
« Reply #390 on: September 24, 2013, 08:55:25 AM »

It just keeps getting better.  Contributions now total $3745.  $11,255 to go.  Let's keep the momentum.  We can make it.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #391 on: September 25, 2013, 05:55:40 PM »

BREAKING NEWS

Today the court handed down its ruling on TIGHAR's Motion to Dismiss the Mellon lawsuit.  The court dismissed the RICO (racketeering) and Negligence counts "with prejudice" (meaning that Mellon is barred from re-filing).  The court let stand the Fraud and Negligent Misrepresentation charges so the case is now whittled down to whether TIGHAR found the Earhart Electra in 2010.
When we've had a chance to study the 15-page ruling I'll comment further - but this is a good day for truth, justice and the American way.

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #392 on: September 25, 2013, 06:12:21 PM »

That's fantastic news. Congratulations Ric.

George Lam

• T2
« Reply #393 on: September 25, 2013, 06:29:38 PM »

Great!  I lack much knowledge in legal processes (and the 15 page ruling), but I'm curious if the decision on whether or not the 2010 debris is legitimate comes down to reasonable doubt, like in a jury case.

Chuck Lynch

• T1
« Reply #394 on: September 25, 2013, 07:01:05 PM »

May I ask if the burden of proof is on the accuser, Tim Mellon?

Glen Henderson

• T1
« Reply #395 on: September 25, 2013, 07:20:45 PM »

That is great news Ric!  Count me in for $50 towards the cause.  Let the "battle of the image experts" begin.  We are confident in our interpretations and stand by our conclusions.

George Lam

• T2
« Reply #396 on: September 25, 2013, 10:43:15 PM »

May I ask if the burden of proof is on the accuser, Tim Mellon?

Absolutely.  The party making the claim always has the burden of proof in a court case like this.  In the entire U.S. legal system if I'm not mistaken.

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #397 on: September 26, 2013, 12:19:48 AM »

Congratulations Ric and Tighar that is great news, continue fighting the good fight.

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #398 on: September 26, 2013, 06:40:11 AM »

The text of the Associated Press article that appeared last night, about the judge's ruling, on NewJersey.com
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #399 on: September 26, 2013, 09:52:14 AM »

Great! Each side "won" something - feel free to declare victory!

Can we all go back to the more important matters at hand, namely finding Amelia and Fred? 76 years is far too long for them to have waited.

LTM, who keeps his eye on the prize,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #400 on: September 26, 2013, 12:14:59 PM »

Good news on what was dismissed outright.
And one of the movies likley to be made can now include an antagonist and a courtroom scene. Goliath just has money to force the fight. TIGHAR has its sling filled with hard facts and will win.

3971R

Dave Potratz

• T2
« Reply #401 on: September 26, 2013, 12:17:42 PM »

A Good Day!  With confidence and best wishes for more to come!

LTM, who would much more want to know what happened to her daughter than to endure a frivolous lawsuit.

dp

John Wallace

• T1
« Reply #402 on: September 26, 2013, 02:47:21 PM »

Judge's order. Not small file but could not reduce it. Did not see this posted elsewhere.
(ADDENDUM: To avoid confusion, I removed my copy of the order since Mr. Mellon also ended up posting the judge's order below in this thread. Our copies were the same, Document 28 on the Pacer list for the case.)

fyi, Pacer, www.pacer.gov, holds court case documents. You have to register and then copies are 10 cents per page. You do get basically $15 per quarter for free. Ostensibly, court orders are required to be available for free but I could not find the order in this case other than thru Pacer.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 11:30:02 AM by John Wallace »

Gloria Walker Burger

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #403 on: September 26, 2013, 05:25:32 PM »

Wish he'd thrown out the whole thing, but still this is good news. Glad to hear it!
Gloria
TIGHAR #3760

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #404 on: September 26, 2013, 05:47:43 PM »

Judge's order. Not small file but could not reduce it. Did not see this posted elsewhere.

It's important for everyone to understand what a 12(b)(6) Motion to Dismiss is and what it isn't.  This court order is a huge victory for TIGHAR in ways that may not be apparent to the non-lawyer reader. I'm going to put together a paper that includes all of the court documents related to this case along with brief plain-language explanations of their significance.  I'm thinking of calling it Lawsuits 101. 
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 51   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org