Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 51   Go Down

Author Topic: TIGHAR Legal Defense Fund  (Read 705458 times)

richie conroy

• T5
Re: TIGHAR Legal Defense Fund
« Reply #345 on: September 02, 2013, 04:16:03 PM »

quote from John Balderston...... Ric and TIGHAR's 25+ years of tenacious and disciplined effort,

And no complaints from any sponsors benefactors etc...

If only we had a time machine  :-X
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #346 on: September 02, 2013, 05:42:58 PM »

John,

Thank you.  Your recollection of events tracks with the Forum records.  Reasonable people can differ on the interpretation of evidence.  The question is not whether there are shapes present in the video that we amateurs may interpret as being aircraft wreckage, coral, or Our Lady of the Deep.  The question at issue in the lawsuit is whether aircraft wreckage conclusively identifiable as being from Amelia Earhart's Lockheed Electra is so obvious in the video that I was actionably negligent in not recognizing it. 

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #347 on: September 02, 2013, 08:54:57 PM »

Ric

I don't think you have it right.  The lawsuit is that you knew conclusively that the wreckage was there, and you raised money to continue the search anyway, ie fraudulently. 

Negligent is not fraudulent, and this is where Tim's reasoning seems to break down.  He's described TIGHAR on the Forum as being negligent, yet the lawsuit is about racketeering and fraud.  It doesn't work both ways.

Andrew

Stacy Galloway

• T2
« Reply #348 on: September 02, 2013, 09:41:42 PM »

Thank you John, Jeff, Ric and the others for clarifying the sequence of events on the video threads. It is a tragic set of circumstances when someone vents their frustration via lawsuit rather than cordial discussion. I truly hope the judge determines this lawsuit to be frivolous and throws it out. There's no doubt that TIGHAR is in the right, its just a matter of how long lady justice will take to make that determination.
TIGHAR #4284R

Stacy Galloway

• T2
« Reply #349 on: September 02, 2013, 09:43:45 PM »

Here's a photo ...

Photo?

DUH!  Sorry.

Beautiful ladies and handsome men! That's quite a delegation that descended on Casper. Thank you one and all for being there! :)
TIGHAR #4284R

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #350 on: September 03, 2013, 01:08:08 AM »

"At the end of that, if that stuff is of the Electra, then everyone wins.  Tim would forever be a huge part of what was accomplished, too - Niku VII could not have been done on the scale it was without such generosity.  I wish we could have wrapped things up on that trip - no more so I am sure than Ric or Tim, but life is full of tragic twists; there are no perfect leaders, contractors, ships or equipment."

There will be a next time Jeff and, when an agreement is reached the real work can start again with hopefully everyone looking ahead this time. What's gone on in the past can't be changed but the future can be. Niku VII came back with plenty of prospects for the next trip and, thanks to Tim that was made possible so, if the outcome we all hope for materialises, Tim played his part in the effort. One final push? together?

This must be the place

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #351 on: September 03, 2013, 07:04:06 AM »

I don't think you have it right.  The lawsuit is that you knew conclusively that the wreckage was there, and you raised money to continue the search anyway, ie fraudulently. 

Negligent is not fraudulent, and this is where Tim's reasoning seems to break down.  He's described TIGHAR on the Forum as being negligent, yet the lawsuit is about racketeering and fraud.  It doesn't work both ways.

Count One in the complaint is Fraud - that I lied to Mellon when I said we had not yet found the plane.
Count Two in the complaint is Negligent Misrepresentation - that I should have known that we had already found the plane.
You are correct in that the allegations are mutually exclusive.  They cannot both be true (and, of course, neither is true), but that is nonetheless what the suit contends.  The judge spotted the contradiction.

This is probably just an example of the old lawyer's axiom "just throw all the sh-- at the wall and see if any of it sticks." 

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #352 on: September 03, 2013, 08:40:52 AM »

This is probably just an example of the old lawyer's axiom "just throw all the sh-- at the wall and see if any of it sticks."

I thought that was what they taught them in law school as a perfectly valid "strategy"? I shall have to consult with our law students on the proper legal term for this.

LTM, who never wears Teflon,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #353 on: September 03, 2013, 01:53:00 PM »

"The judge spotted the contridictions"......?  My Dachshund could have spotted that one!  Put his ears back, rolled his eyes, and shaken his head......huh!!   
Well in this case, they threw a lot of sh.. against the wall, but they must not have known the 'fan' was in the way. 

TIGHAR Member #4154

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #354 on: September 03, 2013, 05:04:22 PM »

My Apologies in advance

But i Actully find this comment on another forum a compliment  ;D http://languish.org/forums/index.php?topic=9914.0

Also, the CNN story on this said an "analyst" spotted the sonar anomaly.  The "analyst" in question is a goof on their forums named Richie Conroy who is in essence the Raz of TIGHAR (no offense, Raz).... dude is obsessed with the TIGHAR theory and pretty much spends all day looking at imagery and data and posting on the forums.  He's a weird British dude... maybe more accurately described as a cross between Raz and Tyr.  99% of what he posts is utter rubbish; he just got lucky this time.

Jealousy gets ye no were

Am not british am Scouse

Thanks Richie

Member# 416

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #355 on: September 03, 2013, 07:08:33 PM »

Richie,
If you get drawn into this whole thing (Tim's laysuite) please let me know.  If you are required to come to the U.S. re the suite let me know - fly into Atlanta, Ga and you can stay with us until you have to go to Wy.

I'will help you with any expenses to get you from Atlanta to Casper and back to the U.K.

Keep me posted on the events that may develope.

Ted Campbell

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #356 on: September 04, 2013, 04:16:28 AM »

Haha av been called sum things but a goof. Really glad I annoy him so

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #357 on: September 04, 2013, 08:34:24 AM »

Richie, a while back there was also some unkind things posted about you on another forum by an 'expert' who used to post on the Tighar forum. When you discovered the sonar anomaly I couldn't but help a little wry smile as I thought back to what the 'expert' had said. What goes around comes around, way to go Richie! Let's hope it's the one.
This must be the place

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #358 on: September 04, 2013, 11:01:32 AM »

As the immortal Black Knight would say, "I've had worse."

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Carolyn Hasenfratz

• T1
« Reply #359 on: September 04, 2013, 11:46:58 AM »

Although I stated that the spotting objects in video stills thread did not hold my interest, that doesn't mean that I look down on those who thought it interesting or think they deserve to be ridiculed. I'm glad someone was willing to put in the effort. We don't know yet whether such efforts are or were in vain - or not.

I wish I could be confident that a side in a legal dispute that presents self-conflicting evidence or theories will always be on the losing side. I can think of one recent high profile murder case in which the defense presented mutually exclusive theories but still won the case.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 51   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org