Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: March of Time broadcast  (Read 9258 times)

Tim Collins

• T4
March of Time broadcast
« on: June 13, 2013, 10:32:24 AM »

Thanks to the recent generous offer from TIGHAR I took the opportunity to upgrade my membership and received the additional materials available to members at the researcher level. I was most interested to hear for myself the March of Time dramatized reenactment of the Earhart disappearance. Having listened to the brief skit several times now, I find it absolutely incredible that anyone could possibly mistake the dramatized distress signals from AE for actual distress calls. Not only does the Earhart character deliver her pleas in a completely unemotional monotone (to me wholly unbelievable given the circumstances they are recreating) but it is difficult to believe that anyone would not also hear the dialog that so closely frames the distress signals. Even more astounding is that many of the Earhart calls, as is most of the dramatization as a whole, are underscored with music! But nevertheless, as incredible as it may seem they apparently were indeed mistaken for the real distress calls as evidenced by references found in several contemporary newspaper articles discussed in another thread http://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,16.msg774.html#msg774 and elsewhere. I recently came across another reference to "a radioman for Inter-Island Airways flying from Hawaii [who] mistook the March of Time broadcast for an S.O.S. from Earhart's missing aircraft. The radioman immediately notified officials that he had heard a 'conversation between the lost pilot and ships at sea.' [...] Eventually it was discovered that the man had intercepted the 'shortwave relay of the March of Time program from San Francisco to Hawaii.'" (fn indicates source: Lawrence Lichty and Thomas W. Bohn, "Radio's March of Time: Dramatized News," Journalism Quarterly 51:3, pp. 458-62.) This passage is quoted from what I found to be a very good book about  1930 radio news broadcasts, and also about the Welles War of the Worlds broadcast and it's reception:  Robert Brown, Manipulating the Ether: The Power of Broadcast Radio in Thirties America (1998), p.200.   

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: March of Time broadcast
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 10:36:32 AM »

Good catch on the "radioman for Inter-Island Airways flying from Hawaii".  Most of what I say is also accompanied by music but it seems like I'm the only one who can hear it.

Friend Weller

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 11:57:11 AM »

Most of what I say is also accompanied by music but it seems like I'm the only one who can hear it.

And here I was thinking that only happened to us who work in the radio industry!  :D
Friend
TIGHAR 3086V

Andreas Badertscher

• T1
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 11:58:09 AM »

;D Ha Ha Ric you made me laugh

Steve Lyle Gunderson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 12:09:21 PM »

Every once in a while  I think I hear your music ? Sounds like a Banjo?
Steve G
#3911R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 12:25:57 PM »

If you're hearing a banjo, that ain't me.  Let me know if you hear bagpipes.

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 02:18:27 PM »

Steve, did you forget to return that copy of Deliverance to Netflix? :D
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Steve Lyle Gunderson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 03:13:53 PM »

It's right here with my copy of 'Forrest Gump'. Like Mama said, "Run Forest, Run" :o
Steve G
#3911R

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org