Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: another arrow for the debris field?  (Read 9110 times)

Skip Daly

• T1
another arrow for the debris field?
« on: June 06, 2013, 10:29:17 AM »

Hi all, I am again reasonably new to the forum, so please pardon me if I'm posting something that has already been discussed, or otherwise somehow violating "proper protocol" (my first two posts, in retrospect, were a tad naive/misguided...after which I have gone and spent some time reading).

Anyway, I was looking at the "debris field" photo (http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/65_DebrisFieldAnalysis/Fender.html), and thought I discerned another "potentially non-manmade object" (?)  in there not adorned with an arrow.  It's almost "anchor-shaped" (for lack of better description), and lies in the upper right-hand corner.  It is almost invisible in the color image, but jumps out more clearly in b/w.

Doubt I am calling attention to anything "new" here, as I don't have any of the forensic skills/qualifications of Jeff, but figured I'd throw this out in the 1/1000th chance that it contributed anything useful...

Cheers,
-Skip

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: another arrow for the debris field?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 01:27:53 PM »

Anyway, I was looking at the "debris field" photo (http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/65_DebrisFieldAnalysis/Fender.html), and thought I discerned another "potentially non-manmade object" (?)  in there not adorned with an arrow.  It's almost "anchor-shaped" (for lack of better description), and lies in the upper right-hand corner.  It is almost invisible in the color image, but jumps out more clearly in b/w.

If you look at the YouTube video, the ROV swims right over the feature you pointed out so you can get a good close look from different angles.  See if you still think it's interesting.

Skip Daly

• T1
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 11:02:25 AM »

Thanks Rick.  Just made myself seasick watching, rewinding, rewatching, and trying to track the object as it comes into view, lurches back out of view off the right side of the screen (at 0:55), and then comes back into view.  The shape I thought I was seeing definitely ends up morphing into something else as the ROV moves closer and over it (at a different angle from the view provided in the original still shot).  I guess the perceived "anchor shape" ends up being a bit of an optical illusion, and it loses that linear appearance after the vantage point shifts.

Indeed, at the risk of stating the obvious, the coral and other growth on that bottom makes it very difficult to discern objects.  I'm actually having a hard time perceiving the possible "man-made" objects delineated by the arrows as non-natural things.  I could see where the top yellow arrow on the right might presumably equate to the worm gear (?), but how did Jeff pick the stuff in this shot out as being non-natural?  Apologies if I'm asking something that's already answered somewhere, but is there a write-up (or discussion) somewhere here on the site that "breaks down" what we think is visible in this debris field photo, and why these objects might fit the criteria of being man-made?  Do they seem to match up with specific components on the Bevington object?  Just curious as to what specific attributes of the noted objects makes Jeff 100% confident that they aren't natural?

Thanks for tolerating the newbie!

Laura Gridley

• T1
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 11:00:35 PM »

Hi Skip--welcome to the forum.  Did you see this report re: the debris field?

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/65_DebrisFieldAnalysis/65_DebrisFieldAnalysis.html

Skip Daly

• T1
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 02:33:50 PM »

Hi Laura,

Yep, saw that alright and found it interesting.  Guess I was just wondering if there was a more object-specific analysis available....along the lines of "we believe this arrows is pointing to the worm gear, and this is what makes us think this", etc.  Probably not, but just wondering since, again, I've been straining my eyes looking at that photo/video capture.

cheers,
-Skip
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org