Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Cook Photo  (Read 124979 times)

Charlie Chisholm

• T2
Re: The Cook Photo
« Reply #120 on: July 10, 2013, 09:23:44 PM »

I believe your hat is quite safe.

Mellon has nothing.

And he is not in the least bit interested in finding the truth about things.

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #121 on: July 10, 2013, 10:43:50 PM »

The name of the topic here is The Cook Photo so we should be careful on creating too much thread drift.

The object in the photo may or may not be man made.  It does have a tantalizing shape.  Every time I look at it I see an engine cowling with prop shaft.  But, as someone else posted, it would mean the bulk of the engine is "beneath" the cowling buried in coral.  Possible but the problem is that this is a photo only.  No way to analyze except as a flat view.  Its not made of data points that can be rotated, pulled in different directions, examined in 3D or anything else.  But it is a "marker" of a point of interest to be noted for examination next time TIGHAR is there.  So much of TIGHAR's efforts are recorded in photos or videos.  Historical photos, such as those Ric and Jeff are reviewing and capturing right now, are even photos of photos.  Ric must have thousands of photos of just the Earhart search alone.  Each shot capturing a slice of history or geography but marking an event or scene.  Since photography was invented Man has been able to capture fragments of our existence for review.  I say this because TIGHAR uses photo analysis and interpretation freely amongst its members as its way of sharing in the search. 

Whats my point?  Simple.  We are all sitting in our various homes, literally all over the world.  We are all encouraged to be amateur photo analysts and yet we have no formal training.  We share our thoughts on what we see.  We discuss our views on a forum that is free to use, easy to access and, I think, most importantly, brings together total strangers who share a common interest. 

Each opinion on what one sees in a photo like the Cook Photo is valuable as it teaches each of us more than we knew before about the photo.  I would encourage ALL Forum readers to register and post what they see without fear of having their opinions being criticized.  We all see different things and, until someone physically figures it out, we are all right.       

In My Humble Opinion
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Ian_Withnall

• T1
« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2013, 06:12:23 PM »

Hi,

That looks like a Big Eye Bream (or hump nose).

Grows up to 60cm.

Has correct distribution. Also colours vary depending on age (See two different images.)

He likes a nice coral shelf.

Wide angle on underwater housing is going to make him look small. But that would be a decent sized fish. 8-10 inches.

http://australianmuseum.net.au/image/Bigeye-Seabream-at-Tijou-Reef/

http://www.whatsthatfish.com/image/view/1342

Cheers.

Gary Vance

• TIGHAR member
  • "Virtual" member #4847
« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2016, 11:20:32 AM »

I was bored and got into reading the posts about the "Cook Photo".  I can see what the yellow line is pointing at. Getting curious, I changed the format to black and white and then reversed it to look like a photo negative. I'm sure Jeff Glickman and others may have done it, but it sure looks like something round with a hub in the center. Certainly not a entire wheel, but maybe a hub and rim of something?  Who knows, but I included the photo so us "armchair photo analysts"  can have some fun.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2016, 12:53:41 PM »

... it sure looks like something round with a hub in the center. Certainly not a entire wheel, but maybe a hub and rim of something?

I do see the resemblance.

The problem, as hinted at earlier in this thread, is that the rest of the structure must be buried deeply in the coral to have just that much showing.

I suppose it is true that "strange things do happen," but I'm not inclined to bet on that longshot here.  Natural forces in the growth, injury, and decay of coral also fall into the category of "strange things that do happen."

I'm pretty sure TIGHAR wants to go take a good look at the reef.  I became convinced years ago that this was necessary.  I did not anticipate how hard it would be.  As I understand it, this is part of the great TIGHAR tradition--learning from experience how hard it is to "go look around" for remnants of AE, FN, and the plane on and around Niku.  My hopes were based on pictures of Titanic wreckage sticking up from a pretty plain ocean bottom.  I don't think we as yet have photographs showing the complexity of the sides of the atoll.  My takeaway from the expedition reports is: "This is not like that!"
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #125 on: August 12, 2016, 01:31:18 PM »

The Cook Photo does give the impression of being a round, cowling-like object with a hub in the center but it's a single photo.  If it was a screen capture from a video "fly-by" we'd have other perspectives on the shapes.  There have been repeated and intense, but unsuccessful, attempts to re-find the object (if, indeed, there is an object to find), including by the guy who took the picture.  Either the photo was taken in a completely different place than he remembered or (more likely, I think) what we see in the photo is merely coral and marine growth that created the illusion of an object from that particular angle.  Changes in the marine growth since then have erased the illusion.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org