Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amelia - A Woman, A Frisky Woman  (Read 30035 times)

Andrea Fisher

• T1
Amelia - A Woman, A Frisky Woman
« on: February 27, 2013, 05:13:01 PM »

LOL  I haven't been able to post much since becoming a member because I don't know anything about the stuff that's being discussed.  While studying Amelia, I have discovered a couple of things about her that have discouraged my positive view of her.  One thing is that I don't think she was a very good pilot and if I was as bad as her, I never would have started off around the world.

But, this letter she wrote to her future husband has put her more into a favorable light with me.  LMAO - she will marry Putnam for the money but still wants to "have her way with other men".  I say good for her.  It looks like Putnam may have already enjoyed the fruits of his labors...........and made some money off her fame too.   ;D

I wish I could make her letter go on this post so everyone can read it.  Does anyone know how to do it?  I have it as a jpeg in my iPhoto App.

http://feministing.com/2012/12/10/amelia-earhart-prenup-from-1930s-lays-out-a-pretty-darn-modern-vision-of-marriage/

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Amelia - A Woman, A Frisky Woman
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 05:37:49 PM »

There are many misconceptions about Amelia Earhart. Assertions that her famous prenuptial letter to Putnam was "ahead of her time" is one of them.  AE was typical of radical politically leftist women of the late 1920s/early '30s.  She was an atheist and she believed in sexual freedom to a degree that equaled anything in the 1960s and is rare today.  In 1936 she wrote to her mother, "Please don't down the Roosevelt administration. It's alright to be reactionary inside but it is out of step with the times to sound off about the chosen people who have inherited or grabbed the earth.  .... I believe that the experiments carried on today point the way to a new social order when governments will be the voice of the proletariat far more than democracy ever can be."

Andrea Fisher

• T1
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 05:43:13 PM »

Amelia Earhart Marries George Palmer Putnam

By Louise Bernikow

February 7, 1931

(WOMENSENEWS)--She was 32 and never married; he was a decade older and just divorced. She was the most famous female aviator in America; he was a successful publisher (Charles Lindbergh was one of his authors), explorer and writer. The civil ceremony, in his mother's house on the Connecticut shore, took five minutes and, the newspapers noted, omitted the bride's promise to "obey her husband."

The two had met in 1928, when George Putnam chose Amelia Earhart as the first woman to cross the Atlantic in an airplane--as a passenger. Earhart had been "pushing the envelope" for women for several years, promoting female pilots, and she did the same in her marriage. Before the wedding ceremony, Earhart gave Palmer a letter containing "things which should be writ before we are married."

"You must know again my reluctancy to marry," it said, "my feeling that I shatter thereby chances in work which means so much to me . . . In our life together, I shall not hold you to a medieval code of faithfulness to me, nor shall I consider myself bound to you similarly . . . I may have to keep some place where I can go to be myself now and then, for I cannot guarantee to endure at all times the confinements of even an attractive cage. I must extract a cruel promise, and that is you will let me go in a year if we find no happiness together."

The partnership flourished. A year later, Earhart made her historic solo crossing of the Atlantic. Putnam brilliantly organized her public appearances and managed her skyrocketing fame, including her endorsement of a line of flight luggage bearing her name and her creation of a flying suit--with loose trousers, a zipper top and deep pockets--featured in Vogue magazine.

And it was Putnam who issued decreasingly optimistic bulletins to the press in the days after Earhart's plane disappeared in the Pacific on July 2, 1937.

Louise Bernikow is the author of nine books, including "The American Women's Almanac." She takes her women's history slide show to communities and campuses all over the country.

For more information:

Amelia Earhart Birthplace Museum:
http://www.ameliaearhartmuseum.org
- See more at: http://womensenews.org/story/our-story/030625/amelia-earhart-marries-george-palmer-putnam#.US6m5oV_feZ

Andrea Fisher

• T1
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 05:46:13 PM »

There are many misconceptions about Amelia Earhart. Assertions that her famous prenuptial letter to Putnam was "ahead of her time" is one of them.  AE was typical of radical politically leftist women of the late 1920s/early '30s.  She was an atheist and she believed in sexual freedom to a degree that equaled anything in the 1960s and is rare today.  In 1936 she wrote to her mother, "Please don't down the Roosevelt administration. It's alright to be reactionary inside but it is out of step with the times to sound off about the chosen people who have inherited or grabbed the earth.  .... I believe that the experiments carried on today point the way to a new social order when governments will be the voice of the proletariat far more than democracy ever can be."

LOL No wonder she had, what - 8 airplane accidents?  She was a communist.  Better not tell my Daddy or Grammpa.   :o :D

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 06:19:19 PM »

LOL No wonder she had, what - 8 airplane accidents?

I think I've counted 11.

She was a communist.

Not card-carrying.  More like what was called a "Parlor Pink."  Gullible but harmless.

Andrea Fisher

• T1
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 07:52:37 PM »

LOL No wonder she had, what - 8 airplane accidents?

I think I've counted 11.

She was a communist.

Not card-carrying.  More like what was called a "Parlor Pink."  Gullible but harmless.

I know you know her better than I ever will.  But gullible is not a tag I'd lay on her.  She seems to me to be more controlling, dictating.  I mean insisting others to accept her ways.  Laying the ground rules. Ha, I was even going to speculate that Fred Noonan knew what was happening but couldn't control Amelia - Amelia "knew better".  And that's why they ended up on Nikumaro.

Mr. neville - a "sport"?  You read her a lot different than I do.  I don't think narcissists are sports.

Andrea Fisher

• T1
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 08:06:53 PM »

GP must have had something going other than money ...........

HAH!  I think I know what you mean by that.  I'm taking a look the other way around.  Amelia Earhart didn't seem to be very sexy at all.  What did she have going for her to attract Mr. Putnam?  I hope I can say this here but she was flat on top and flat behind.  Not a sexy curvy at all.  I'm pretty sure that most men (I think you know what I mean) like to look at a nice female shape.  After all I do have some experience.  LOL

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 08:18:23 PM »

One thing is that I don't think she was a very good pilot and if I was as bad as her, I never would have started off around the world.

Andrea, do you think AE could have passed a BFR?

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 08:38:23 PM »

AE was typical of radical politically leftist women of the late 1920s/early '30s.  She was an atheist and she believed in sexual freedom to a degree that equaled anything in the 1960s and is rare today.

Ric, have you been spending too much time on Nikumaroro?

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 03:30:19 AM by Tim Mellon »

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 08:51:41 PM »

LOL No wonder she had, what - 8 airplane accidents?  She was a communist.  Better not tell my Daddy or Grammpa.   :o :D

1. AE lived in Massachusetts.
2. AE worked in a poor-house.
3. AE campaigned for Franklin Roosevelt.
4. AE took Franklin and Elanor for a plane ride down the Potomac at night (before the days of the TFR).
5. AE had an affair with Gore Vidal's dad, who ran the Aviation Bureau at the Dept. of Commerce.

Other than that, I'm sure she was a nice conservative Kansas girl.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 10:46:08 AM »

I wish I could make her letter go on this post so everyone can read it.  Does anyone know how to do it?

Andrea, allow me...

(I use FastStone Capture for tasks like this. Really handy).

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 01:26:33 PM »

Anyway our fallen idol/woman also got lost alot.  Maybe Mr. Gillespie includes those.

Got lost because she couldn't do the simplest of NDB approaches...

BTW, I much prefer ILS then LOC then VOR.  Hah, I think you're blowing me a crosswind asking about NDB.

Well, me too, but someday you may be stuck trying to land in Belarus or Paraguay where all they offer is NDB.

(BTW, please call me Tim).
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 01:33:56 PM by Tim Mellon »

Andrea Fisher

• T1
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 01:48:41 PM »

Anyway our fallen idol/woman also got lost alot.  Maybe Mr. Gillespie includes those.

Got lost because she couldn't do the simplest of NDB approaches...

BTW, I much prefer ILS then LOC then VOR.  Hah, I think you're blowing me a crosswind asking about NDB.

Well, me too, but someday you may be stuck trying to land in Belarus or Paraguay where all they offer is NDB.

(BTW, please call me Tim).

Belarus
Airfield Data: Fire Category 8
Emergency Services: Search and rescue
Navigational Aids: VOR, DME, NDB
Airfield Restrictions: Restriction bearing 309ยด 11-25km
Noise Restrictions: None
Aircraft Maintenance: Yes
Runway 1: Heading 13/31, 3 640m (11 942ft), 60/R/B/X/T, ICAO Cat. II, Aircraft size max: No limit, ILS, Lighting: IIIA

Maybe you refer to downtown Minsk?

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org