Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Liferaft-sorry, Ric  (Read 9339 times)

Jeffrey Pearce

• T3
Liferaft-sorry, Ric
« on: March 13, 2013, 06:23:27 PM »

First thought about this when I became interested in AE. If no liferaft and ditch in ocean-goodbye. Seems to me that, if I had one, I would want to get it out of the plane before ditching. It is my only hope? If liferaft was expelled and never used, where would it be today? Still circling the Pacific Ocean? Believe liferaft would have started moving east to South America.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Liferaft-sorry, Ric
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 07:39:53 PM »

What lifefaft?  No liferaft in the Luke Field inventory.  No mention of a liferaft in Lae.  No evidence for the presence of a liferaft.

Jeffrey Pearce

• T3
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 08:13:57 PM »

I hear you. AE's mother said AE was not afraid. But I must say that it is very difficult for me to think that in the early day of aviation and going for a speck of land that one would not be prepared for the worst???

Jeffrey Pearce

• T3
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 09:21:21 PM »

Could there be any possibility that AE was apprehensive about mentioning a liferaft on the log? Didn't want to draw attention to it in any way?

John Ousterhout

• T4
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 09:37:11 PM »

I understand that AE did not compile the Luke field inventory - that was done by the people responsible for shipping the a/c back to California.  That indicates to me that they were probably pretty objective in what they reported.
Cheers,
JohnO

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 07:16:30 AM »

The inventory was done by an Army Lieutenant who, with mindless military precision, listed everything in the airplane right down to a partially used box of Kleenex.

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 12:41:25 PM »

Nope...no life raft.  AE seems, to me, the personality type to never admit that failure was an option.  And she had the best navigator around.  However, I am 'sure' (again in my mind) that there was a discussion of what (where) to do (to go) in the "impossible" event they couldn't find Howland.  I am also 'sure' (in my mind) that in their minds there was only a 1% chance of not finding Howland.  In that most unlike event, turn south.....find land. 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 03:58:56 AM »

If liferaft was expelled and never used, where would it be today? Still circling the Pacific Ocean? Believe liferaft would have started moving east to South America.

If a liferaft were to be successfully deployed near the Equator, it would drift Westward, in this case towards the Philipines or back towards New Gineau.

:)
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 04:01:28 AM by Tim Mellon »

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 12:09:29 PM »

What lifefaft?  No liferaft in the Luke Field inventory.  No mention of a liferaft in Lae.  No evidence for the presence of a liferaft.

This video from CriticalPast.com, see the 4th video down, reported to have been made on March 17, 1937, seems to show the life raft mentioned being weighed along with the other items as they are loaded on the aircraft. It does not, however, actually show the raft being loaded on board.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 01:08:10 PM »

According to this story from Oct 1937 she did at least purchase a life raft for the trip,  of course that does not mean she carried one

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Ac4rAAAAIBAJ&sjid=lIQFAAAAIBAJ&pg=3198,1664569&dq=earhart+liferaft+hawaii&hl=en
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 01:16:43 PM by Matt Revington »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org