Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New TIGHAR Tracks  (Read 73698 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: New TIGHAR Tracks
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 05:27:27 PM »

No pun intended?

No pun intended.  I'm unintentionally punny.

Hilary Christine Olson

• TIGHAR member
  • My Passion
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2013, 08:37:59 PM »

Thank You for the reply Ric . I have my copy of the new TIGHAR Tracks it arrived today .I am  now off to read. 
Hilary # 2633                                                                                                                                                                   
HCO

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2013, 10:21:41 AM »

Reviewing the "Nessie" article in the just-released Vol. 28 #1 issue of TIGHAR Tracks, I have discovered a discrepancy worth noting.

On page 38, reference is made to c/n 1052 at the New England Air Museum as being the object of comparison for various components of the Electra landing gear. One of the "items of interest" described in the following paragraph is the "worm gear", a part worthy of its own article later in the issue (the reader is referred to "Part No. 40776" on page 45, yet on page 45 the article is entitled "Part Number 41065". Which is the correct part number for the worm gear?).

Trouble is, c/n 1052 has no worm gear (see attached photo) but simply a fixed strut, because the aircraft is on permanent static display. So my question for Jeff Glickman would be "What aircraft did you use with respect to comparing its worm gear?"
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 10:28:51 AM by Tim Mellon »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2013, 11:42:21 AM »

On page 38, reference is made to c/n 1052 at the New England Air Museum as being the object of comparison for various components of the Electra landing gear. One of the "items of interest" described in the following paragraph is the "worm gear", a part worthy of its own article later in the issue (the reader is referred to "Part No. 40776" on page 45, yet on page 45 the article is entitled "Part Number 41065". Which is the correct part number for the worm gear?).

Aaargh!  Thanks Tim.  The correct part number for the worm gear is 41065.  40776 is the fork.

Trouble is, c/n 1052 has no worm gear (see attached photo) but simply a fixed strut, because the aircraft is on permanent static display. So my question for Jeff Glickman would be "What aircraft did you use with respect to comparing its worm gear?"

Jeff has never seen c/n 1052 at the New England Air Museum.  As explained on page 39 of TIGHAR Tracks, he examined the worm gear equipped landing gear of c/n 1011 at the Pima Air Museum in Tucson, AZ. 

I confess that I had not noticed that c/n 1052, as exhibited, does not have its worm gears installed. I do have the attached photo, taken years ago while the plane was being rebuilt, that shows its worm gears lying on the floor along with other dissembled pieces of its gear.  Now I'm wondering where those worm gears are now?  I'd like to find out how much each one weighs.

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2013, 05:00:23 PM »

Thank you for posting that picture Ric,
There is a bar on each side of the cylinder in that picture and shown on the drawing on page 43, but these bars do not appear in the Luke Field picture on page 43.
Were the bars a design update on AE’s plane when they repaired it? Or are the bars missing in the Luke Field picture?

The fender drawn on page 44 seems to have the front part of the fender spliced to the rear part. However, from other pictures of AE’s plane, it seems the front part and rear part of the fender are each attached to the fork and are separate pieces.  Were they somehow spliced?

If the possible fender part suggested in the 3rd iteration was bent out on the fork it could explain the dark area in the middle of the Bevington object . The dark spot being the shadow of the fender. The part of the fork seen before it gets dark would make sense too.
3971R

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:02:26 PM by G. Daspit »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2013, 11:14:13 PM »

There is a bar on each side of the cylinder in that picture and shown on the drawing on page 43, but these bars do not appear in the Luke Field picture on page 43.
Were the bars a design update on AE’s plane when they repaired it? Or are the bars missing in the Luke Field picture?

I don't know what bars you're referring to. 

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2013, 07:48:42 AM »

Attached please find a photo of the violin shown to have come from the wreck of the Titanic.

Skeptics might take note that musical instruments can survive for long periods under water.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2013, 08:29:54 AM »

Attached please find a photo of the violin shown to have come from the wreck of the Titanic.

Skeptics might take note that musical instruments can survive for long periods under water.

If you dig a bit deeper you'll find that the violin was found in an attic, not in the wreck.

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2013, 08:41:23 AM »

Ric, if you dig even deeper you will see that the instrument has been forensically analyzed for imersion in seawater.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2013, 08:45:20 AM »

I don't know what bars you're referring to.

There are two rectangular profile bars on each side of oleo cylinder, close to the top, in the picture you posted
I don't know the name of that part to describe it correctly but the installation illustrated on page 43 and the parts in the “gear parts-1052” picture do not look like the part in the Luke Filed accident.
This Luke Field part has a round profile, possibly a round tube, and seems to be off center of the cylinder, not on both sides.
The part in the installation drawing on page 43 and as seen in the photo you posted have a flat rectangular profile bar on each side of the cylinder and they are continuous, they bend around the cylinder so they can be continuous.
It seems like AE’s plane at the Luke Field crash had a different installation than shown on page 43.
At the bottom of the pdf I posted it had two images side by side where you can see the difference in parts
Page 43 has the Luke Field Image and the installation 40650 drawing above it so the difference can be seen there too.
3971R

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2013, 09:18:26 AM »

"Hartley's body was recovered by the Mackay–Bennett almost two weeks after the sinking"
2 weeks is not that long and it may have floated, and have been in a case, not under water
3971R

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2013, 10:28:54 AM »

Certainly NOT found in the wreck, can't find link but thought to have been found strapped to his body either in its case or in another case.

BTW Tim there is ample evidence of Hard Woods surviving on parts of the Titanic Wreck, just as decking remains on the Bismark wreck.  These are in cold waters at considerable depth compared (we hope) to the electra.

What is interesting is the lack of human remains on these vessels.

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2013, 11:29:12 AM »

Definitely immersed in seawater, but I agree, two weeks does not make it comparable to "that certain banjo".

The wooden Swedish ship Wasa was recovered after centuries, and I believe has been restored.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2013, 12:28:35 PM »

Now thats an interesting wreck and more special due to the unusual conditions in the Baltic that is particularly good for the preservation of not only wood but also rope and bone.  Again no link (soz) but remember reading about a deep wreck in the baltic (wooden sailing ship) that still had its rigging as well as human remains on deck.

Worth some study if you have time.

Pretty sure the conditions are bad for wood boring sea critters, much like the black sea.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 01:12:24 AM by Chris Johnson »

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2013, 01:10:55 PM »

Baltic Shipwrecks

Check out the photo to see what I mean about the conditions in the Baltic

The Ghost Ship

Think this is the wreck I talked about.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 01:13:37 PM by Chris Johnson »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org