Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New TIGHAR Tracks  (Read 73732 times)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
Re: New TIGHAR Tracks
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 12:47:27 PM »

Fantastic :) Though i'd be as happy with an emailed .pdf version to save you some $$$$$

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 12:56:38 PM »

Fantastic :) Though i'd be as happy with an emailed .pdf version to save you some $$$$$

FedEx is a TIGHAR sponsor.  We have a free account.  It's not unlimited so we can't use FedEx for everything but using the free account for international shipping is a huge money-saver for us.  Without it we'd have to charge extra for international memberships.

Hilary Christine Olson

• TIGHAR member
  • My Passion
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 06:09:15 AM »

Still no Tighar Tracks  Mine must have taken the international route   :'(
Hilary
HCO

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 07:17:16 AM »

Still no Tighar Tracks  Mine must have taken the international route   :'(

Patience Hil.  We've had postage machine "adventures" that have delayed much of the mailing.  With luck, that will all get resolved today. (Aaaargh!)

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 01:55:05 PM »

Trying to understand the 3rd Iteration of the Bevington object in TIGHAR Tracks, I did this overlay/ study of the PHOTOTEK image posted here.
I looked at the worm gear in an alternate orientation and added some other possible parts in this study/ interpretation.

Edit: I think the fender is less crumpled than shown in the sketch. I think it may more likely be the smaller front fender part detached from one  tab and rotated 90 degrees on the remaining tab.
3971R

« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 12:54:27 AM by G. Daspit »

Jimmie Tyler

• T1
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 07:13:47 AM »

The new TIGHAR Tracks is impressive!!!! Inspiring, a great read!! Really enjoying it. Thank You!!!!!
Jim, TIGHAR #4064

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 02:14:49 PM »

Time and Tide
The available evidence suggests that Amelia Earhart landed her Lockheed Electra on a particular section of the reef at Gardner Island (now Nikumaroro) and sent radio distress calls or several days before the aircraft was lost to rising tides and surf – but was that possible?  TIGHAR Researcher Bob Brandenburg’s technical paper explains how we calculated the water levels on that part of the reef at particular times more than three-quarters of a century ago, and how we discovered the remarkable way in which those water levels correlate with the credible post-loss radio signals.

A very impressive and professional study by Bob Brandenburg, in my opinion.

It is interesting to note that the peak high tide increased a bit each day, from 0.43m on the afternoon of the 2nd to over 0.9m on Wednesday morning the 8th of July. The last credible transmission was about 8pm local time that evening. This increasing high tide level, if augmented by heavier than normal swells or some sort of storm surge, could very well be the combination that tipped the balance against holding position on the reef. Only a day later Lambrecht's flight of three saw no sign of an aircraft.

Mr. Brandenburg asserts (pp. 56 and 57) that "tide and surf forced abandonment of the aircraft". My own interpretation, based on underwater videos from both 2010 and 2012, is that the two crewmembers stayed with the aircraft and were swept off the reef with it. If either had left the aircraft in the intervening days, it probably was only to scout the shore briefly at low tide. Since very little in the way of personal property has been found ashore in the years since, I suspect that whatever came ashore was not carried but rather floated free from the airplane wreckage in the weeks after its sinking.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Scott C. Mitchell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 07:35:17 PM »

I am also thoroughly absorbed by the new TIGHAR TRACKS.  What a body of work!  Something I find intriguing is the last chart on the back of the book in the article by Bob Brandenburg on Tides & Credible Signals.  It is interesting that credible transmissions apparently ceased at the start of the time zone of propeller clearance limit, with several hours of prime transmitting time still ahead.  That suggests something drastic happened as a cut-off -- like the aircraft getting swept off the reef, to either float away or tumble down the submerged cliff.  (Granted, there may be other explanations, such as running out of fuel to charge the transmitter.)  After the aircraft was lost, there would be no reason to hang around the sweltering beach.  The castaways might have a shell-shocked mental adjustment, watching their last link to possible rescue slide under the waves, that would impel them start searching the interior of the island in earnest to look for resources for long-term survival.  No wonder they weren't seen by the search aircraft under that overgrowth canopy.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2013, 07:42:01 PM »

The castaways might have a shell-shocked mental adjustment, watching their last link to possible rescue slide under the waves, that would impel them start searching the interior of the island in earnest to look for resources for long-term survival.  No wonder they weren't seen by the search aircraft under that overgrowth canopy.

I increasingly find myself wondering whether Noonan ever made it out of the airplane.

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 08:32:57 PM »

I increasingly find myself wondering whether Noonan ever made it out of the airplane.

Remember Betty's understanding of a man seeming semi-delirious and perhaps wounded? (And now Dr. G. Ford agrees.) And the tides rising? And the sharks? And the 150 meter trek to dry land over very slippery, guttered and pocked surfaces? Hungry, thirsty, dead tired? I wonder too.

But then, I think I have seen the other side.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:58:38 AM by Tim Mellon »

Hal Banks

• T1
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 08:24:49 AM »

Ric, was it you or Pat who devised this diabolical fund-raising scheme of sending former members a copy of Tighar Tracks?  Well, it worked.  I'm now a paid-up, member-in-good standing.  The preponderance of evidence collected over the years has convinced me that the Tighar theory is the most likely scenario.  I don't need the smoking gun or any idiot arifact, hence my lapse in membership.  Although my wife is concerned I'll sign the deed to the house over to you guys, great research like this needs to continue  :).

Keep up the good work,
Hal Banks
Member #2971
Hal
TIGHAR #2971

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 09:12:25 AM »

Ric, was it you or Pat who devised this diabolical fund-raising scheme of sending former members a copy of Tighar Tracks?  Well, it worked.  I'm now a paid-up, member-in-good standing.

Thanks Hal.  We just can't bear to lose good people.

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 09:41:35 AM »

And it had to get to 150-170+ degrees in the cabin of that plane during the day.  That will fry your brain for sure....if it doesn't kill you first. 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 11:47:11 AM »

I increasingly find myself wondering whether Noonan ever made it out of the airplane

That was my thinking ever since reading the post loss messages and Betty's notebook.  If Mabel Larremore is to be believed Fred was seriously injured and Amelia also had some injuries.  The delirious man in Betty's notebook could fit Noonan with a head injury.  Amelia herself being injured may not have able to physically help him cross the reef to shore.  Plus the fact that if he is delirious you would'nt think she would want to leave him alone on shore to go to the plane to send messages.  Add possible dehydration (depending on what they had aboard) and it starts looking pretty grim for Fred.  I believe he, as they say "went down with the ship".

LTM,

Don

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 05:15:57 PM »

Thanks Hal.  We just can't bear to lose good people.

No pun intended?
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org