Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stoutish walking shoe or sandal?  (Read 181175 times)

richie conroy

• T5
Re: Stoutish walking shoe or sandal?
« Reply #165 on: July 03, 2013, 05:56:53 PM »

Interesting image

Look how narrow Amelia's shoe is to Paul's who is also shorter in height

We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Bob Jones

• T1
« Reply #166 on: July 03, 2013, 07:51:02 PM »

Interesting image

Look how narrow Amelia's shoe is to Paul's who is also shorter in height

Are you saying that the width of the sole is what made Gallagher say it was a woman's?

Gloria Walker Burger

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #167 on: July 03, 2013, 08:31:46 PM »

Shoe soles in the style of the ones Noonan wore:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6khdnqCU_E52QmPjmpZyUmAo1i9HRls72d-Z7pbnO6HdzTgoCuQ

I couldn't find ones in Amelia's style, but here is a woman's shoe sole:
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpOAEGYMHwexopO0NgRHmQ0f7WUB9DwLp7nALjag7sUs1Qf4XStw

IMHO, you can look at one sole and say it is most likely a man's and look at the other and say it is most likely a woman's. I always thought that Amelia's shoes might have ripped (maybe on coral) and she was left with wearing Nonan's shoes. I never thought of wearing one larger shoe (Noonan's) because of her injured foot. It sure seems very reasonable.
Gloria
TIGHAR #3760

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #168 on: July 03, 2013, 09:55:47 PM »

Interesting examples on both the wedge style and the pattern under the sole. And the narrow womans sole. All those examples suggest woman's shoe to me just looking at the soles.
I was thinking the same thing about the different shoe parts. One woman with two different shoes due to injury or wear. If AE was injured, for example from a fall on the slippery reef (that first big step off the wing could be a surprise), the need for a crutch or walking stick may have been needed. Even if not injured, a walking stick seems like a good idea. The image I speculate of her includes an injured foot, one man's shoe, one woman's shoe, using a walking stick, so needing shoulder straps(see strap fastener theory) to carry the sextant box so she could hold the crutch. Also, possibly carried a First Aid Kit in the same way(see metal fragments, specifically the piece with a washer). The sextant box perhaps used to carry the little bottles to collect water.
3971R

« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 10:10:50 PM by Greg Daspit »

Stacy Galloway

• T2
« Reply #169 on: July 03, 2013, 10:21:28 PM »

Interesting examples on both the wedge style and the pattern under the sole. And the narrow womans sole. All those examples suggest woman's shoe to me just looking at the soles.
I was thinking the same thing about the different shoe parts. One woman with two different shoes due to injury or wear. If AE was injured, for example from a fall on the slippery reef (that first big step off the wing could be a surprise), the need for a crutch or walking stick may have been needed. Even if not injured, a walking stick seems like a good idea. The image I speculate of her includes an injured foot, one man's shoe, one woman's shoe, using a walking stick, so needing shoulder straps(see strap fastener theory) to carry the sextant box so she could hold the crutch. Also, possibly carried a First Aid Kit in the same way(see metal fragments, specifically the piece with a washer). The sextant box perhaps used to carry the little bottles to collect water.

Wow, that's how I envisioned her also- sans the first aid kit (I hadn't thought of her carrying it around, but it makes sense) :)

LTM who's going to carry a first aid kit now,
Stacy
TIGHAR #4284R

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org