Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Stoutish walking shoe or sandal?  (Read 181151 times)

C.W. Herndon

• T5
Re: Stoutish walking shoe or sandal?
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2013, 02:52:59 PM »

Could the remains of the "stoutish walking shoe or sandal" that Gallagher found have come from one of these shoes?

That, of course, was first speculated nearly 9 years ago, see the last section of this Research Bulletin.

You are correct Alan. However, nowhere in the bulletin is there a photo of or a reference to a photo of AE having this type of shoe with her on the second attempt. See my photo #3 in my previous post  and shown again here.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2013, 05:48:47 PM »

You are correct Alan. However, nowhere in the bulletin is there a photo of or a reference to a photo of AE having this type of shoe with her on the second attempt. See my photo #3 in my previous post  and shown again here.

They're not really saddle shoes.  They're more like "spectator shoes."  But whatever you want to call them, she is wearing them in several photos taken during the world flight. Here are two more from Java.  The one where she is on the ladder was taken stateside because the guy working on the engine is Bo McKneeley.  The one with AE, FN and the mechanic sitting under the tail was taken in Miami. In that one you can clearly see that the soles of those shoes are white or cream colored have a molded-in heel.

If you look at all the photos of AE in the Purdue on-line archive taken in 1936/37 you'll see that whenever she's flying she wears the (presumably brown) leather oxfords with the nailed-on, slightly-raised heel.  She only wears the two-tone shoes with the light-colored molded rubber soles for casual wear or sight-seeing.  In photos taken during the world flight it's either the oxfords or the two-tone shoes.  If she also had heavy hiking boots they don't show up in any of the photos.

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2013, 06:07:17 PM »

Thanks Ric. I didn't think they were "saddle shoes" either but I didn't know aything else to call them. I missed those other two pictures of the shoes in Java, my eyes are not what they used to be. I take it there are others too? At least we know for sure that she had those on the flight.

Maybe she thought that the higher heels on the leather shoes kept her feet from sliding forward off the rudder pedals. Who knows.

I have not seen any boot pictures taken anywhere on the flight either. I know there is very little that you guys have not found in the files, just that I have not yet seen everything available. :(  Keep up the good work.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 06:14:11 PM by C.W. Herndon »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2013, 06:10:11 PM »

That, of course, was first speculated nearly 9 years ago, see the last section of this Research Bulletin.

Exactly - and this discussion has shown it to be just as compelling today as it was back then.  I started this thread looking for alternate ideas for how Gallagher knew it was a woman's stoutish walking shoe or heavy sandal - and also to see if anyone remembered or would find the old Research Bulletin.  It took 4 days and 49 posts.  It's always worth re-examing old questions and conclusions - and it's encouraging when a fresh look comes up with the same answers.  We still don't know what Gallagher saw or why he said what he did, but so far nobody has come up with a better explanation than that he was looking at part of the sole of AE's walking-around shoes.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2013, 06:15:48 PM »

Maybe she thought that the higher heels on the leather shoes kept her feet from sliding forward off the rudder pedals.

I suspect you're right.  If you fly "conventional gear" (tailwheel) airplanes you pay attention to what kind of shoes you wear because sometime you have to dance.

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2013, 06:17:54 PM »

You really have that right!!!
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 06:20:34 PM by C.W. Herndon »

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2013, 06:31:18 PM »

If you look at all the photos of AE in the Purdue on-line archive taken in 1936/37 you'll see that whenever she's flying she wears the (presumably brown) leather oxfords with the nailed-on, slightly-raised heel.

In other words, like these leather oxfords with a nailed on slightly raised heel?

We still don't know what Gallagher saw or why he said what he did, but so far nobody has come up with a better explanation than that he was looking at part of the sole of AE's walking-around shoes.

Ric, are you suggesting now that she had a third pair of shoes she used just for walking-around and not the shoes she wore while flying?
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2013, 06:42:02 PM »

From this picture, this looks like the standard fare for Amelia.  Notice the wear on the shoes as she climbed up the wing.  Shoes don't wear like that if you only use them while flying.  It seems obvious that she wore these shoes for more than just flying i.e. walking around.
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2013, 06:44:27 PM »

If you look at all the photos of AE in the Purdue on-line archive taken in 1936/37 you'll see that whenever she's flying she wears the (presumably brown) leather oxfords with the nailed-on, slightly-raised heel.

In other words, like these leather oxfords with a nailed on slightly raised heel?

Yes.

Ric, are you suggesting now that she had a third pair of shoes she used just for walking-around and not the shoes she wore while flying?

Yes.  It's quite clear that she did. She had one, possibly two, pair of blucher oxfords that she wore while flying. (It's hard to tell. In some photos it looks like her flying shoes have "toe caps" and in others they seem to have a smooth toes.)  She also had a pair two-toned, light-colored rubber soled walking around shoes. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 06:48:50 PM by Ric Gillespie »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2013, 06:47:47 PM »

From this picture, this looks like the standard fare for Amelia.  Notice the wear on the shoes as she climbed up the wing.  Shoes don't wear like that if you only use them while flying.  It seems obvious that she wore these shoes for more than just flying i.e. walking around.

Yes, she undoubtedly wore her flying shoes for more than just flying but there's no question that she also had the two-tone shoes.  We can see them in the photos.

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2013, 07:01:19 PM »

Yes.  It's quite clear that she did. She had one, possibly two, pair of blucher oxfords that she wore while flying. (It's hard to tell. In some photos it looks like her flying shoes have "toe caps" and in others they seem to have a smooth toes.)  She also had a pair two-toned, light-colored rubber soled walking around shoes.

Sorry Ric, you may see a toe cap but IMO it is not clearly defined in the pictures in Shoe Fetish Part III.
This statement is in error IMO. "Pair #2 were low-cut blucher oxfords identical to Pair #1 except for a capped toe."  I doubt seriously she had two pair of the same shoe, one with a capped toe and one without. YMMV

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/48_ShoeFetish3/48_ShoeFetish3.html
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2013, 07:10:15 PM »

Sorry Ric, you may see a toe cap but IMO it is not clearly defined in the pictures in Shoe Fetish Part III.
This statement is in error IMO. "Pair #2 were low-cut blucher oxfords identical to Pair #1 except for a capped toe."  I doubt seriously she had two pair of the same shoe, one with a capped toe and one without.

Let me help you.  Can you see the toe cap now?

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2013, 07:16:44 PM »

This statement is in error IMO. "Pair #2 were low-cut blucher oxfords identical to Pair #1 except for a capped toe."  I doubt seriously she had two pair of the same shoe, one with a capped toe and one without.

Let me help you.  Can you see the toe cap now?

Nope, I see the same thing I see in every other pictures of the same shoe.  Like I said, YMMV.
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Alan Harris

• T3
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2013, 09:16:04 PM »

Just to add variety, I am the opposite of Bob.  I see only one type of flying shoe, with toe cap.  Looking on the Purdue site at the photo used in the research bulletin to illustrate "pair #1" with smooth toe, I think I see rather clearly both the capped toe and the light-colored inner part of the heel that were noted for "pair 2".  For some reason detail is coming out more clearly in the original, on my monitor, than in the photo used in the bulletin.  See photo below — but I don't know if all the detail will translate to the forum display software or not.

IMO the only difference between "pair 1" and "pair 2" is that the shoes were still relatively clean and polished in Miami but took quite a beating during the course of the flight.

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2013, 09:29:53 PM »

Just to add variety, I am the opposite of Bob.  I see only one type of flying shoe, with toe cap.  Looking on the Purdue site at the photo used in the research bulletin to illustrate "pair #1" with smooth toe, I think I see rather clearly both the capped toe and the light-colored inner part of the heel that were noted for "pair 2".  For some reason detail is coming out more clearly in the original, on my monitor, than in the photo used in the bulletin.  See photo below — but I don't know if all the detail will translate to the forum display software or not.

IMO the only difference between "pair 1" and "pair 2" is that the shoes were still relatively clean and polished in Miami but took quite a beating during the course of the flight.

OK!  Uncle!  I give in.  :P
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org