Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr Tom King's excellent paper on the Earhart disappearance  (Read 12147 times)

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
Dr Tom King's excellent paper on the Earhart disappearance
« on: January 09, 2013, 11:46:04 AM »

Dr. King's new paper is out and it is a terrific, sound academic review of the big picture of Earhart's disappearance and possible outcome, IMHO.  Well worth the effort - any others reading this?

It is a refreshing, credible summary and study of the many things done to-date to find Earhart and is very readable and thorough.  It really gives the big picture with great clarity.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 12:05:14 PM by J. Nevill »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Dr Tom King's excellent paper on the Earhart disappearance
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 12:04:16 PM »

Tom's paper is a good overview of his personal take on the evidence.  I don't agree with all of his interpretations but in a project this big that's probably inevitable.

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 12:05:14 PM »

Thanks Jeff for the new topic.  Hopefully this thread will me more academic than looking for "moon floss" on the reef slope.  I've read the paper in it's entirety and there is much to digest and discuss.
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 05:26:51 PM »

The village is large and complex.  Some of it has been searched methodically and exhaustively.  Much of the rest has been swept with metal detectors.  To do a thorough survey of the entire formerly-inhabited area would be a monumental task - far beyond anything TIGHAR could realistically hope to tackle.  My guess is that such a survey would almost certainly turn up more bits and pieces of aircraft material.  Whether any would be more diagnostic than what we've already found is anybody's guess.
The village is an archaeologist's dream but, being an aircraft accident investigator rather than an archaeologist, I'm more interested in finding wreckage that hasn't been moved by people. The big problem with the village is that, by definition, anything found there was brought there from somewhere else. 

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 06:10:35 PM »

I'm more interested in finding wreckage that hasn't been moved by people. 

Boy, have I got a deal for you!
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Dan Kelly

• T3
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 07:25:28 PM »

The village is large and complex.  Some of it has been searched methodically and exhaustively.  Much of the rest has been swept with metal detectors.  To do a thorough survey of the entire formerly-inhabited area would be a monumental task - far beyond anything TIGHAR could realistically hope to tackle.  My guess is that such a survey would almost certainly turn up more bits and pieces of aircraft material.  Whether any would be more diagnostic than what we've already found is anybody's guess.
The village is an archaeologist's dream but, being an aircraft accident investigator rather than an archaeologist, I'm more interested in finding wreckage that hasn't been moved by people. The big problem with the village is that, by definition, anything found there was brought there from somewhere else. 

Very good points Mr Gillespie - something that I in my ignorance would suggest is a survey of the island parts adjacent to the wreck of the Norwich City. It strikes me that this would have been the most likely place given the wreck's prominence at the time that the pair might have set up camp.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 08:06:10 PM »

Very good points Mr Gillespie - something that I in my ignorance would suggest is a survey of the island parts adjacent to the wreck of the Norwich City. It strikes me that this would have been the most likely place given the wreck's prominence at the time that the pair might have set up camp.

Been there. Done that. Back in 1999, before the Bevington Object came to light, we searched the beach and 50 meters back into the dense beachfront vegetation (no fun) from the main lagoon passage all the way up well past the shipwreck. We were looking primarily for washed up aircraft debris. Didn't find nuthin'.

The discovery of the Bevington Object in the photo in 2010 put the aircraft's putative position on the reef further north than we had previously supposed. During the time that the aircraft was being used to send radio distress calls, primarily at night, it seems likely and logical that AE and FN might have established some kind of campsite on shore where they would rest in the shade and from which they might forage for food and water during the day.  This theoretical campsite might feature items brought ashore from the aircraft that were left behind when they moved on after the aircraft was lost to the sea.  If our supposition that the aircraft was on the reef somewhere in the vicinity of the Bevington Object is correct, it seems to me most likely that Camp Zero was immediately shoreward of that location rather than a quarter mile down the beach opposite the shipwreck.  Fortunately, that part of the island was never logged off and replanted to Pandanus and Coconut as was the area further south opposite the shipwreck. Trying to find what has come to be known as "Camp Zero" is high on the list of tasks for the next expedition.

Dan Kelly

• T3
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 09:33:47 PM »

If our supposition that the aircraft was on the reef somewhere in the vicinity of the Bevington Object is correct, it seems to me most likely that Camp Zero was immediately shoreward of that location rather than a quarter mile down the beach opposite the shipwreck.  Fortunately, that part of the island was never logged off and replanted to Pandanus and Coconut as was the area further south opposite the shipwreck. Trying to find what has come to be known as "Camp Zero" is high on the list of tasks for the next expedition.

Thank you Mr Gillespie for the clarification - and searching the area that you have suggested seems to plain old untutored me a very wise move when next you are on the island.

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 07:23:49 PM »

Ric,
In Dr. Kings paper he reminds us that parts of shoes were found by TIGHAR and Galleger (in the 40's).  These shoe parts "might" indicate that one or both of the people (AE and FN) had foot problems.  For exampel;  if AE had hurt her foot she may have taken FN's shoe and vis-a-versa.

Can we tell if the shoe parts are from the same foot - left or right?  Does this possibility transfer to the shoe part found by TIGHAR?

Ted Campbell

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 09:45:01 AM »

Can we tell if the shoe parts are from the same foot - left or right? 

Gallagher did not say which foot the shoe parts he found were from.

Does this possibility transfer to the shoe part found by TIGHAR?

The fragmented rubber shoe sole TIGHAR found at the Aukeraime site was from a right foot.
My personal opinion is that the Aukeraime shoe parts have nothing to do with Earhart. YMMV
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org