Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Bismark Sank H.M.S. Hood  (Read 12689 times)

Chris Austin

• T2
How Bismark Sank H.M.S. Hood
« on: December 12, 2012, 04:28:06 AM »

Channel 4 in the UK televised a (slightly disappointing) documentary on how Hood was sunk so quickly. You may be able to access it on-line if you wish.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/how-the-bismarck-sank-hms-hood/4od

The interesting thing was, according to the docu, Paul Allen lent his yacht (understatement!) M.V. Octopus with all the ROV gear, to the researchers.

Does anyone know if he's interested in A.E.?

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
Re: How Bismark Sank H.M.S. Hood
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 06:23:38 AM »

LOL===Paul Allen's little boat is more than some navys have. Doubt that Paul would lend it---maybe rent it.
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 06:23:50 AM »

Damn, knew there was something I wanted to watch on TV last night :(

Thank goodness for iplayer and derivitives.

Spoiler **** didn't a shell go through the un armoured deck into a magazine?

The Hood sure is in bits though, bit like the Yamato if I remember.  Bismark goy of lightly in comparison (skuttled?)

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 08:30:55 AM »

LOL===Paul Allen's little boat is more than some navys have. Doubt that Paul would lend it---maybe rent it.

Octopus, currently the world's eighth largest superyacht, is owned by Paul Allen, the co-founder of Microsoft, to whom it was delivered in 2003. Octopus is the second largest super yacht that is not owned by a head of state, measuring 414 feet (126.18 meters).

Octopus sports two helicopters on the top deck (one in front and one on the back), and a sixty-three foot (19 m) tender docked in the transom (one of seven aboard). The yacht also has a pool on board, located aft on one of her upper decks, and two submarines: one operated by remote control for studying the bottom of the ocean. Side hatches at the water line form a dock for jet skis.

The exterior was designed by Espen Øino Naval Architects and built by the German shipbuilders Lürssen in Bremen and HDW in Kiel. Her hull is made of steel. The interior was designed by American designer Jonathan Quinn Barnett of Seattle. Paul Allen also owns two other yachts, Tatoosh and Méduse.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b8/MV-Tatoosh---La-Rochelle.jpg

http://yachts.monacoeye.com/yachtsbysize/pages/meduse01.html
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 08:40:45 AM by Bob Lanz »

Chris Austin

• T2
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 08:49:28 AM »

That's what made my ears prick up, they said lent on the documentary.............. drool.  :D

Spoiler **** didn't a shell go through the un armoured deck into a magazine?

The Hood sure is in bits though, bit like the Yamato if I remember.  Bismark goy of lightly in comparison (skuttled?)
Another spoiler alert!
That's why I found it a bit disappointing, not only did they fail to get the bell, but it was X magazine all along, something I'd known (or thought I'd known) since I built the Airfix kit in the '60s.

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 09:00:52 AM »

Airfix model
- you and me both.

My Hood finally went up in flames with a little white spirit in an improptu back yard battle between model ships!!!!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 09:28:22 AM by Chris Johnson »

Chris Austin

• T2
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 10:28:06 AM »

:D At least I had the decency to dispatch my fleet with an air rifle at such improbable range that you had to arc the pellets on them just like the real thing. It took ages, but it was worth it.

A 4d (old money) banger in a bomber is also pretty impressive.

Ah! the teenage years.

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 06:20:00 AM »

Better not let us near this one then  :D

Chris Austin

• T2
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 09:09:36 AM »

It would be a shame!

I thought I heard right "The Ministry of Defence (MoD) said US philanthropist Paul G Allen had offered to recover the bell at no cost to the British state."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-two/9436069/Microsoft-founder-to-recover-bell-from-HMS-Hood.html

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 09:14:19 AM »

I'm kind of glad they didn't get it! Feel it should stay on the ship with the remains of the crew.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org