Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106]   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1274555 times)

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #1575 on: November 16, 2012, 05:28:55 PM »

More...
This must be the place

John Joseph Barrett

• T3
« Reply #1576 on: November 17, 2012, 08:55:55 AM »

Jeff,   to me it looks like the hole you outline would be more down along the side of the fuselage if that is what it is. Also, from what can be seen, it appears to be more square in shape whereas the B-17's opening appears to be more along the top of the fuselage and of a more rounded shape. What you have pointed out as possible windscreen opening does resemble that of the copilot's side of the B-17.   LTM-  John

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #1577 on: November 17, 2012, 10:03:55 AM »

Hi All

Jeff Hayden, I have a feeling the hole which you are on about would actually be the wing tank refill port, If you look at the attached image

Object A is the outline of the engine cowling, Cough's i mean coral

Object B appear's to be aircraft skin  judging how neat the circle's are,

This object is above left to the hole your on about

Thanks Richie
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #1578 on: November 24, 2012, 11:26:30 AM »

On first glance the black mark in this still looks, well, like a black mark. Red lines pointing to it. It's an illusion created by focusing your attention on the most obvious object, the black mark, therefore your brain appoints the black mark as 'the object'. Now look at the edges of 'the black mark', blue lines pointing, thin, silver/shiny, metallic looking, straight edge, nice semi-circle cut out, goes up across then down. It's a tear in the sheet of metal and, what you are looking at as 'the black mark' is in fact the void beneath the sheet of metal. More tearing is evident above the orange whatsit. I know it's hard to get your head around this stuff but, there it is.
You might also notice some odd looking objects scattered about in the background...

Sunglasses, NOT!
Bra, NOT!
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #1579 on: November 24, 2012, 12:42:31 PM »

On first glance the black mark in this still looks, well, like a black mark. Red lines pointing to it. It's an illusion created by focusing your attention on the most obvious object, the black mark, therefore your brain appoints the black mark as 'the object'. Now look at the edges of 'the black mark', blue lines pointing, thin, silver/shiny, metallic looking, straight edge, nice semi-circle cut out, goes up across then down. It's a tear in the sheet of metal and, what you are looking at as 'the black mark' is in fact the void beneath the sheet of metal. More tearing is evident above the orange whatsit. I know it's hard to get your head around this stuff but, there it is.
You might also notice some odd looking objects scattered about in the background...

Sunglasses, NOT!
Bra, NOT!

Right Tim, but you couldn't miss the Polar Bear.  Glad you are maintaining your sense of humor here.   ;D
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #1580 on: November 24, 2012, 12:59:16 PM »

does any one know what this metal ring cud be off

Richie, I think your arrow is pointing at what John Balderston identified as the digit "2" on the right wing, when he first began commenting in August.

I began to read this entire thread this morning, starting with Mr. Hayden's shot of the landing gear with the squiggle. It is amazing to me how much you all found in the first month or so after that and how much duplicative effort I have been making without knowing the cumulative results. It is even more amazing to me  how much Ric's comments about the ROV pilot's opinions and estimates of the makeup and size of the squiggle have all had a dampeining effect on just about everyone's belief in what they think they are seeing.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 01:08:18 PM by Tim Mellon »

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #1581 on: November 24, 2012, 02:39:20 PM »

So if the landing on the reef was relatively normal it would survive in one piece, then be washed off with minimal damage and quickly sink nose first due to engine weight, again incurring minimal damage like loss of the undercarriage and aerials, below the zone on the slope where waves could batter it against the reef and cause more damage, with corrosion being the only enemy. I'm only offering a hypothesis here, I remain unsold on the reef landing because as with all the other theories it is yet to be demonstrated with hard evidence. But if it is there I would expect it to be relatively intact excluding the corrosive action of the sea water.

Malcolm, I see we agree at least on the point you make here. I have contended that the majority of NR16020 sits crumpled in an area no bigger than the size of a basketball court.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 02:43:20 PM by Tim Mellon »

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #1582 on: February 05, 2013, 07:02:38 AM »

Now, revisiting an old friend the squiggly but in Xtra High Definition, it appears to not be a landing gear, but rather a headset consisting of two ear-pieces connected by a circular band. The black wire is perhaps the audio lead to the headset. A bottle appears to be covered by a piece of aluminum.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #1583 on: February 05, 2013, 02:24:17 PM »

Hi Tim

How did you get HD video of 2010 rov dive ?
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #1584 on: February 05, 2013, 03:10:26 PM »

Hi Tim

How did you get HD video of 2010 rov dive ?

Richie, do you mean the Extra High Definition Video?  I want to see that too.  I wasn't aware that there was an XHDV.  Where is that?
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #1585 on: February 05, 2013, 03:11:28 PM »

I want to see it too!!
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #1586 on: February 05, 2013, 04:54:50 PM »

When Tim refers to XHDV he means full-resolution HD video.  The video we've put up on YouTube is half-resolution because the full-resolution files are enormous and don't really look any different than the half-resolution images.  Full-resolution only becomes important when you're processing video for broadcast.  I don't have full-res files.  I have no need for them.  Tim requested the big files so I had our video guru Mark Smith send them to him.

Back on January 12, I think I made it clear that this forum is not going to discuss shapes seen in the underwater videos unless and until Jeff Glickman sees something worth discussing.  So far, Jeff has nothing to report beyond what he's already said, so I'm locking this topic.

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #1587 on: July 28, 2014, 11:52:22 AM »

This topic has been re-opened.  Enjoy.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org