Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lindberg Departure  (Read 11999 times)

pilotart

• T3
Lindberg Departure
« on: January 14, 2010, 08:34:16 AM »

From Flying Magazine's eNewsletter:
Lindbergh Video Details Aviation's Landmark Takeoff

For fans of Charles Lindbergh's New York-Paris flight, a new website includes unique video footage of the takeoff, synched with real-time audio recorded by newsreel cameramen.

Airport & Aviation Appraisals president Win Perkins is a long-time Lindbergh fan, and has painstakingly assembled the video in his spare time to post on his website at airportappraisals.com.

I have only watched part one of four, it begins with the loss of the Midnight Ghosts and other Orteig Prize contenders,
up to the night before take off.

You will have to load http://www.airportappraisals.com/contact/ again to access the next part and I watched part two
through the towing of the Spirit of Saint Louis to the departure end of the runway.

I realize that it might have been due to the tailskid, but a great idea to begin an overloaded, record setting takeoff.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

When I was in High School (1960) I got to know and spend a lot of time with Clarence Chamberlin
(got second place for the Orteig Prize through no fault of his own).

He showed me a NewsReel of his landing the Packard Diesel powered Airplane on the George Washington Bridge
(while under construction) and he drove a late thirties Hudson (Terraplane?).
Art Johnson

Ricker H Jones

• TIGHAR member
Re: Lindberg Departure
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 06:09:25 PM »

This is a must for anyone interested in aviation history.  Amazing!
Rick J

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Lindberg Departure
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 08:24:08 PM »

This is a must for anyone interested in aviation history.  Amazing!

Marvelous!

I've only watched the first section--but I'm on my way back for the other three.

Thanks for the link!

(Back from watching the videos.)

Navigation is tricky.

I got Part 1 OK when I first went to the site.

I closed the window--and Part 3 came up!

After much experimentation, I found the following path:

• Part 1: Click on "Qualifications"
  • Part 2: Click on "Experience"
  • Part 3: Click on "Home"
  • Part 4: Click on "Newsletter / Articles"
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 08:54:52 PM by moleski »

Ashley Such

• T3
Re: Lindbergh Departure
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 11:20:04 PM »

This was very interesting to watch! Especially since (Charles) Lindbergh is in these archives! Thanks for sharing. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org