The Slope of the Reef around Nikumaroro

Started by Ric Gillespie, February 12, 2013, 08:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Daspit

Thanks for the input Andrew.
Its nice to have someone who was there to describe the reef.
From the Gillam Crash survey, in the cockpit photo there is a chain at the bottom.
With chains, wires and such, what methods could be used to recover debris that may be tangled/ buried/ overgrown in a steep area with a cliff above it?   
I imagine you would have to pick items up very slowly and only good candidates in the clear.
Anyone currently with TIGHAR with that kind of recovery experience?

3971R

C.W. Herndon

Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Ric Gillespie

Quote from: G. Daspit on February 17, 2013, 05:42:02 PM
Anyone currently with TIGHAR with that kind of recovery experience?

Any recovery of underwater aircraft wreckage would be supervised by an experienced underwater archaeologist.

Tim Mellon

BTW, is this an electrical junction box, or something else?
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Ric Gillespie

Quote from: Tim Mellon on February 18, 2013, 04:58:53 AM
BTW, is this an electrical junction box, or something else?

I don't know what that is. 

Tim Mellon

I seem to recall seeing something like this electric junction box before, I just can't remember exactly where...

I will look through my scrapbook. Anyone interested need only PM me their email address.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Michael Elliot

In Greg Daspit's post of Feb 17, his pic cockpit.jpg shows, in bottom center, chain as I described in an earlier post -- similar to a bicycle chain. Flaps require precise control in both extension and retraction, so cables are inefficient. Chains are much better for the task. The pic chain was most likely under the floor of c/n 1021.

Tim, I see your chains on the reef, but I don't think they are L-10 control chains. And, they're too long. (Did Lockheed Burbank use chains or straps to secure the extra tanks in the fuselage of c/n 1055?)

Regards
Mike

Tim Mellon

Quote from: Tim Mellon on February 17, 2013, 05:01:59 AM
Quote from: Ric Gillespie on February 16, 2013, 08:39:38 PM
Quote from: Tim Mellon on February 16, 2013, 06:14:31 PM
And the chains, Ric? Please explain the chains.

I see no chains.

Perhaps we are looking at chain coral?

Mike, it appears to be chain coral that we are seeing on the reef; the links are too irregular and varied in size to be of human manufacture.

:)
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R