Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Electra Survivors Project  (Read 86900 times)

Michael Elliot

• T2
Re: Electra Survivors Project
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2012, 12:17:25 PM »

Vahe
That's a useful site. Looks like the original source of secondary material in golden years and the other UK sites.
The Germans invaded Poland on 1 Sep 1939. It seems, according to the site's author, Rob Mulder, that two weeks or so later, the Polish gov't, or what was left of it, literally gave LOT's aircraft to LARES which was the state-owned Romanian line.
SP-BGK is assigned to c/n1090 by Mulder, and later YR-LEB, and so it is in the list I sent to TIGHAR. It is useful to have what appears to be the original (I think) source. So this clears up SP-BGK.
What is still missing is any mention of SP-BGJ,  and c/n1099 and c/n1100.
Thanks. Useful addition.
PS.,  Did you contact Mulder to ask the source of his data? If not, I will. He may be able to shed some light on 1099 and 1100.

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2012, 03:56:05 PM »

Vahe
That's a useful site. Looks like the original source of secondary material in golden years and the other UK sites.
The Germans invaded Poland on 1 Sep 1939. It seems, according to the site's author, Rob Mulder, that two weeks or so later, the Polish gov't, or what was left of it, literally gave LOT's aircraft to LARES which was the state-owned Romanian line.
SP-BGK is assigned to c/n1090 by Mulder, and later YR-LEB, and so it is in the list I sent to TIGHAR. It is useful to have what appears to be the original (I think) source. So this clears up SP-BGK.
Thanks. Useful addition.
PS.,  Did you contact Mulder to ask the source of his data? If not, I will. He may be able to shed some light on 1099 and 1100.

Don't know if this means anything or if it will help.

9707C  Lockheed Electra, 1099 - Braniff AL, DX 5/3/68
289AC  Lockheed Electra, 1100

http://aerofiles.com/regs-SUFFIXES.html
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Vahe Demirjian

• T1
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2012, 04:57:52 PM »

Vahe
Thanks. Useful addition.

Those civil registrations were actually used for the turboprop-powered L-188 Electra, not the Model 10 Electra used by AE (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braniff_Flight_352 and http://www.pbase.com/zortek/image/92164487).

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2012, 05:16:06 PM »

Vahe
Thanks. Useful addition.

Those civil registrations were actually used for the turboprop-powered L-188 Electra, not the Model 10 Electra used by AE (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braniff_Flight_352 and http://www.pbase.com/zortek/image/92164487).

Sorry, I saw that after I posted.
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

David Black

• T1
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2013, 03:34:23 PM »

Hello, My name is David Black and I noticed quite a bit of Lockheed Electra expertise here on this site and was hoping someone could help me determine whether the airplane in the attached photo is a Lockheed 10 or 12 Electra/Jr, It is difficult to tell in the snow and from this angle but I thought someone on this forum just might be able to distinguish something that would tell me the model 
The man in the photo is Avery Black and I am putting together his very interesting story in aviation, From WWI, barnstorming, to assistant chief test pilot at Lockheed for 17 years, he was also one of the founders of Varney Air Transport/Continental Airlines and was the first president of Continental.
At the Time of this particular photo he was with Varney/Continental  and they had four electras/Jr’s,  one L-10E and three L-12’s,  I am hoping it is the L-10E in the photo, I have the Lockheed Data Plate for that plane C/N 1054, the A/P line number just before the Earhart Electra
Anyway thanks in advance for any info you can supply
Best Regards
David Black

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2013, 11:17:52 AM »

Hello, My name is David Black and I noticed quite a bit of Lockheed Electra expertise here on this site and was hoping someone could help me determine whether the airplane in the attached photo is a Lockheed 10 or 12 Electra/Jr, It is difficult to tell in the snow and from this angle but I thought someone on this forum just might be able to distinguish something that would tell me the model 

Hello David and welcome to the TIGHAR forum. Someone here can probably help you determine the model of the Electra that you have the data plate for by the serial number (C/N 1054) or by looking at the picture that you referenced. Unfortunately the the picture did not attach to your post. I have provided here a link to "how to attach images into posts". Just click on the blue letters and it will take you to the post with the instructions. I hope that this helps and once again, welcome to the forum.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2013, 11:38:36 AM »

I've approved David's picture and everyone should now be able to see it.  The airplane is a Model 10.  The easiest way to tell is to note that the landing gear strut is a fork that attaches to each side of the axle.  The strut on the Model 12 only attaches to one side.

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2013, 03:35:03 PM »

I've approved David's picture and everyone should now be able to see it.  The airplane is a Model 10.  The easiest way to tell is to note that the landing gear strut is a fork that attaches to each side of the axle.  The strut on the Model 12 only attaches to one side.

Thanks Ric. That solved the problem and also answered David's question.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2013, 03:40:37 PM »

At the Time of this particular photo he was with Varney/Continental  and they had four electras/Jr’s,  one L-10E and three L-12’s,  I am hoping it is the L-10E in the photo, I have the Lockheed Data Plate for that plane C/N 1054, the A/P line number just before the Earhart Electra
Anyway thanks in advance for any info you can supply
Best Regards
David Black

David, being a curious George here, do you know what happened to C/N 1054?  Is it still airworthy?  Most of all can you take a picture of the data plate and post it since it is so close to the Earhart Electra?  Oh, and how did you come by the data plate?   

Regards,
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Pete Clukey

• T1
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2013, 03:28:12 PM »

A little piece of S/N 1051 still survives.  The person I got it from said it turned up at a flea market in West Virginia.  This plane was originally NC14992 with Delta Air Lines, ship number 22 on the tail.  I heard rumor that a wing on S/N 1130 at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola came from S/N 1051 but never have confirmed it.

Pete

Pete Clukey

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2013, 04:08:38 PM »

A little piece of S/N 1051 still survives.  The person I got it from said it turned up at a flea market in West Virginia.  This plane was originally NC14992 with Delta Air Lines, ship number 22 on the tail.  I heard rumor that a wing on S/N 1130 at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola came from S/N 1051 but never have confirmed it.

Pete

"Just discernible on the nose of the close-up below is the fleet number "20" which would indicate that this machine was NC14990."

There seems to be a 2 digit discrepancy with the tail number. It would be interesting to know what happened to the rest of it and which one it is since the heading of the article say's NC14992.  Confusing  ???

http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac3/Airline/Delta%20Air%20Lines%20Lockheed%2010-B.html                 
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:47:21 PM by Bob Lanz »

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2013, 02:19:53 AM »

"Just discernible on the nose of the close-up below is the fleet number "20" which would indicate that this machine was NC14990."
There seems to be a 2 digit discrepancy with the tail number. It would be interesting to know what happened to the rest of it and which one it is since the heading of the article say's NC14992.  Confusing  ???             

Bob, it looks to me like we are looking at two different aircraft here. The first picture, NC14992, also has the number "22" on the tail, see picture below. Would this be the "fleet number" for this aircraft and account for the apparent discrepancy with the tail numbers?
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2013, 07:15:44 AM »

Bob, it looks to me like we are looking at two different aircraft here. The first picture, NC14992, also has the number "22" on the tail, see picture below. Would this be the "fleet number" for this aircraft and account for the apparent discrepancy with the tail numbers?

I think you are right Woody.  Found this morning "c/n 1049 Delta NC14990 impressed Jun 11, 1942.  To NC14990 May 14, 1944.  Looks like Delta acquired it from the "USAAF in 1944 and is apparently a different c/n.

http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_serials/1942_3a.html
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 07:24:13 AM by Bob Lanz »

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2013, 08:14:47 AM »

That sure is a wealth of information on one page. Thanks Bob.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2013, 09:13:54 AM »

There is one more listed on page 38. Model 10-A, c/n 1028, NC14939, "returned to commercial use", Aug 15, 1945 to PP-VAS (Brazil).
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org